The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

k-hawinkler

Indeed it does, so FF has some room to grow the amount of MP. Which I guess will happen in the next iterations high end FF cameras - my guess would be around 60MP.

Question remaining is who really needs that.

On the other side looking into the specs we have so far from the EM1X I am still VERY reluctant to invest in this camera - from what I have seen so far it does not tick any (many) boxes I wanted from such a high end m43 camera and most things my EM1.2 can do already good enough.

Thanks Peter.
The one thing that’s not negotiable for me is a much faster sensor readout time.
Otherwise the electronic shutter is pretty much useless for me.
They also should improve PDAF for my 4/3 SHG Lenses. :grin:

biglouis

I am awaiting more details with interest.

I still feel my Lumix Leica 200/2.8 is held back by the G9. The IQof the G9 is fine (although is limited to use below iso2000) but the AF responsiveness is on occasions mediocre. If Olympus can deliver a better m43rds wildlife camera, I would have to dig deep into my resources to own one even if I do not use Olympus lenses.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am awaiting more details with interest.

I still feel my Lumix Leica 200/2.8 is held back by the G9. The IQof the G9 is fine (although is limited to use below iso2000) but the AF responsiveness is on occasions mediocre. If Olympus can deliver a better m43rds wildlife camera, I would have to dig deep into my resources to own one even if I do not use Olympus lenses.

LouisB
A much faster and more accurate AF for sports and wildlife would be also on my wish list. Combined with hopefully a BSI sensor and if I dare to say a stacked BSI sensor, AND a much improved EVF!

If that happens I will own one, if not that might determine at least the end of my investments into m43 (Olympus). I may keep some lenses (12-40 and 40-150) in combination with the EM1.2 and happily move FF mirrorless (most probably Panasonic) for the rest of my needs.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At $3K, I fear it may prove to be a technical success but a commercial failure... I hope the rumored pricing is incorrect.
Look at what professional sports photographers pay for their gear. $3,000 is not a problem in that context. It's not full frame of course, but to many, that's an advantage.

Knorp

At $3K, I fear it may prove to be a technical success but a commercial failure... I hope the rumored pricing is incorrect.
You could be right and as Olympus seem to struggle this über-camera better be a success one way or the other. Still, I reckon it very unlikely for the price to be substantially below $3K or even close to the intial price point of their current flagship. Time will tell. All I know is when it arrives it will be a tough decision ... :facesmack:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Look at what professional sports photographers pay for their gear. $3,000 is not a problem in that context. It's not full frame of course, but to many, that's an advantage.
Understand and I don't disagree with you but sports photographers are a small niche relatively speaking.

Olympus made many great 4/3 lenses back in the say and they had a hard time moving bodies and lenses as well because frankly, they misread their position in the market. I don't question their ability to make good cameras but I do question the decision to release this camera at this time. I just don't believe that there's an extremely large market for $3k cameras - much less cropped sensored ones. I really think they need to be competitive with the XT3 and price the camera in the $1200-1800 range for it to be a hit... but I don't believe that they will.

k-hawinkler

Understand and I don't disagree with you but sports photographers are a small niche relatively speaking.

Olympus made many great 4/3 lenses back in the say and they had a hard time moving bodies and lenses as well because frankly, they misread their position in the market. I don't question their ability to make good cameras but I do question the decision to release this camera at this time. I just don't believe that there's an extremely large market for $3k cameras - much less cropped sensored ones. I really think they need to be competitive with the XT3 and price the camera in the $1200-1800 range for it to be a hit... but I don't believe that they will.

Tre, maybe the 2 subsequent cameras following the E-M1X are competitively priced. One would hope so. :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Look at Nikon and Canon. They have made a long range of sports cameras with built-in grip, and they still do it. I know there are many Nikon users who would like them to make a crop sensor D5-like camera. I still use my D2Xs, and if the E-M1X lives up to the rumors, that would be the camera to replace my Nikon. If not, I'll probably buy a D500.

Fuji is good, but the lenses are large and heavy, and the X-T3 lacks IBIS. The competitor for the E-M1X will be the X-H2, and I'm sure Fuji is in a hurry to launch it.

PeterA

Look at Nikon and Canon. They have made a long range of sports cameras with built-in grip, and they still do it. I know there are many Nikon users who would like them to make a crop sensor D5-like camera. I still use my D2Xs, and if the E-M1X lives up to the rumors, that would be the camera to replace my Nikon. If not, I'll probably buy a D500.

Fuji is good, but the lenses are large and heavy, and the X-T3 lacks IBIS. The competitor for the E-M1X will be the X-H2, and I'm sure Fuji is in a hurry to launch it.
I think the lightweight 'king' is now Sony with their (relatively) lightweight 400/2.8 - pricey though. I can't go past the Fuji 100-400 + 1.4X TC for value and quality - looking forward to receiving one soon and seeing if too has faster autofocus and better tracking on the XT-3 - my experience was that the OIS worked brilliantly hand held on my previous Xt-2.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think the lightweight 'king' is now Sony with their (relatively) lightweight 400/2.8 - pricey though. I can't go past the Fuji 100-400 + 1.4X TC for value and quality - looking forward to receiving one soon and seeing if too has faster autofocus and better tracking on the XT-3 - my experience was that the OIS worked brilliantly hand held on my previous Xt-2.
The lightweight king of 400mm f/2.8 is Canon, at 2,840g, although the difference to the Sony is microscopic. For those who need that kind of light gathering abilities, there's no way around full frame, and if you ask me, it doesn't matter if it's mirrorless or DSLR, since the total weight of the camera plus lens is around 4 kg anyway. For those who don't, the E-M1X plus the PL 200mm f/2.8 will be around 2 kg, much smaller, half the weight and much, much cheaper. To me, it would be a total no-brainer.... if the E-M1X lives up to the expectations.

The equivalence fetishists will obviously come up with all kinds of 400mm f/5.6 lenses, forgetting that those are mostly relatively low-end alternatives, while the PL 200mm f/2.8 is a very high quality lens, comparable to the best lenses on the market. Again, there is no equivalence, just alternative ways of getting the shot.

If the new Olympus is $3,000, the combo with the PL 200mm is $5,500. The A9 (or a D5 or a D1X II) with a 400mm f/2.8 is $16,500 or more. I can think of many interesting ways to spend the difference. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The lightweight king of 400mm f/2.8 is Canon, at 2,840g, although the difference to the Sony is microscopic. For those who need that kind of light gathering abilities, there's no way around full frame, and if you ask me, it doesn't matter if it's mirrorless or DSLR, since the total weight of the camera plus lens is around 4 kg anyway. For those who don't, the E-M1X plus the PL 200mm f/2.8 will be around 2 kg, much smaller, half the weight and much, much cheaper. To me, it would be a total no-brainer.... if the E-M1X lives up to the expectations.

The equivalence fetishists will obviously come up with all kinds of 400mm f/5.6 lenses, forgetting that those are mostly relatively low-end alternatives, while the PL 200mm f/2.8 is a very high quality lens, comparable to the best lenses on the market. Again, there is no equivalence, just alternative ways of getting the shot.

If the new Olympus is $3,000, the combo with the PL 200mm is $5,500. The A9 (or a D5 or a D1X II) with a 400mm f/2.8 is $16,500 or more. I can think of many interesting ways to spend the difference. :)
Unfortunately I am pretty sure that Dual IS will again not work between the PL 200/2.8 and the Olympus EM1X - as it did not with all previous models.

But there is hope that there will be something like a fast Olympus tele prime or at least a 4/400 PRO or something similar.

And you always can use the EM1X with the old 2.8/300 4/3 lens or even better with the 2/150. :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately I am pretty sure that Dual IS will again not work between the PL 200/2.8 and the Olympus EM1X - as it did not with all previous models.

But there is hope that there will be something like a fast Olympus tele prime or at least a 4/400 PRO or something similar.

And you always can use the EM1X with the old 2.8/300 4/3 lens or even better with the 2/150. :thumbs:
I'm actually tempted to buy a 150/2.0 before the camera is launched. I fear the prices will go up later.