The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Wildlife photographers more than likely. It’s specialized for sure but it seems like they’re targeting backpackers and wildlife shooters with the EM1x. The only other 300-800 I can think of is the Sigma one and it goes for like $26,000 or so. Maybe Canon makes one as well too. Seems like a good option for those that have the 12-40, 40-150, or the 12-100. With two or three lenses you can cover 24-800mm equivalent without teleconverters.
For a special kind of wildlife photographers this may be true. But all my experiences tell me that working on Safari (most time out of a vehicle) 300 at the low end are too much - far too much. Then you need 2 cameras, 1 with the 40-150 and one with the 150-400 and that gets a pretty heavy and not easy to carry equipment again. And if you work from only one camera body then you have to change lenses again and again which in many cases is too slow (missed opportunities) plus getting dust in the system while changing lenses is by no means fun. So maybe they have 100% professionals in mind, but how many of these exist? Same is true for that EM1X of course as well .....

iiiNelson

For a special kind of wildlife photographers this may be true. But all my experiences tell me that working on Safari (most time out of a vehicle) 300 at the low end are too much - far too much. Then you need 2 cameras, 1 with the 40-150 and one with the 150-400 and that gets a pretty heavy and not easy to carry equipment again. And if you work from only one camera body then you have to change lenses again and again which in many cases is too slow (missed opportunities) plus getting dust in the system while changing lenses is by no means fun. So maybe they have 100% professionals in mind, but how many of these exist? Same is true for that EM1X of course as well .....
I think it REALLY depEnds on the park/reserve. There are areas in Kenya, Tanzania, and Namibia where 800mm would be wanted... especially for birds or elusive big cats like leopards. I agree 2 bodies would be the ideal setup but this is still a rumor and I don’t see this being larger than a FF 600/4 or 800/5.6 attached to a 1DxII or D5. You’ll give up on the shallow DoF but at 800mm equivalent I don’t believe it’ll even matter. Also it gives you more flexibility for wildlife “portraits” sonthat you don’t have to crop in post.

More options are generally better but as Micro 4/3 becomes more of a niche it’s smart of Olympus to aggressively attack the sports/wildlife market and become known as THE cropped sensor Mirrorless camera for hikers/active outdoors/sports shooters IMO... otherwise it may be a rough next 5-10 years for them. The other part is that the EM1x will likely be a niche camera anyway at the rumored price. The Micro 4/3 lens system is largely built out to begin with so nice lenses are likely the most important thing for them to release. A tilt/shift wouldn’t be a bad idea either but it seems like Olympus’ greatest technique of the last 3-5 years has been their telephoto lens options.

biglouis

I think a 150 - 400 makes not really sense - this gets a 300 - 800 equivalent ..... I wonder who is really asking for such a lens :banghead:
Definitely wildlife photographers. I'd go for such a lens if I didn't already have the 200/2.8 + TCs. That said, it would be a nice complement, especially if it really is a constant aperture.

Bear in mind that Nikon offer the 200-500 which on the D500 (for which it is really designed) is 300-750, so the Olympus zoom makes sense. And wildlife shooters love that lens.

I really wondered if Olympus were down and out with the changes in the relationship from a marriage to friends with benefits with Panasonic but with the emphasis of these new products on the sports, wildlife, action and dare I say it, reportage market segment perhaps they are cleverly finding a new niche?

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Definitely wildlife photographers. I'd go for such a lens if I didn't already have the 200/2.8 + TCs. That said, it would be a nice complement, especially if it really is a constant aperture.

Bear in mind that Nikon offer the 200-500 which on the D500 (for which it is really designed) is 300-750, so the Olympus zoom makes sense. And wildlife shooters love that lens.

I really wondered if Olympus were down and out with the changes in the relationship from a marriage to friends with benefits with Panasonic but with the emphasis of these new products on the sports, wildlife, action and dare I say it, reportage market segment perhaps they are cleverly finding a new niche?

LouisB
The more I think about it the more such a lens does get interesting and even attractive to me. Would be a nice complement to my 2.8/40-150 on a second body - preferably the new EM1X :cool:

Having said that I really do hope that Olympus pulls the right triggers so that existing users stay with the brand and hopefully new users join.

Knorp

The more I think about it the more such a lens does get interesting and even attractive to me. Would be a nice complement to my 2.8/40-150 on a second body - preferably the new EM1X :cool:

Having said that I really do hope that Olympus pulls the right triggers so that existing users stay with the brand and hopefully new users join.
Of course a 'fast' 150-400 (2.8-4.0) Pro is interesting and attractive, but but but ...
It really, and I really mean this, should be designed for and top-notch at the long end, say between 300-400.
The PL 100-400, at least my copy, was a huge disappointment, hence swapping it for the 300/4 Pro.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Of course a 'fast' 150-400 (2.8-4.0) Pro is interesting and attractive, but but but ...
It really, and I really mean this, should be designed for and top-notch at the long end, say between 300-400.
The PL 100-400, at least my copy, was a huge disappointment, hence swapping it for the 300/4 Pro.
If this is a PRO grade lens from Olympus then I have no doubt that it will perform superbly over the complete range :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. The Olympus MFT 300/4 Pro + MC14 gives me 840mm! :thumbup:
However the Olympus FT 300/2.8 SHG + 2x TC gives 1200mm. :thumbs:
Hopefully the E-M1X supports that setup, as well as the 90-250/2.8 with 2x TC.
I am wondering though if the focus variation of the SHG lenses are being caused by the lenses and not by the camera body. As we both know those lenses need calibration. :facesmack:

A fast and light 150-400 that can take the MC14 would be enticing provided it has stellar optical properties.

Knorp

Thanks Bart. The Olympus MFT 300/4 Pro + MC14 gives me 840mm! :thumbup:
However the Olympus FT 300/2.8 SHG + 2x TC gives 1200mm. :thumbs:
Hopefully the E-M1X supports that setup, as well as the 90-250/2.8 with 2x TC.
I am wondering though if the focus variation of the SHG lenses are being caused by the lenses and not by the camera body. As we both know those lenses need calibration. :facesmack:

A fast and light 150-400 that can take the MC14 would be enticing provided it has stellar optical properties.
The choice seems simple to me - lugging around with three lenses and their TCs or walking around happily with only the 150-400 Pro ...

biglouis

I thought so, too. Just too slow at the long end to be of much use in the UKs changeable climate.

If this is a PRO grade lens from Olympus then I have no doubt that it will perform superbly over the complete range :thumbs:
Although I sold it to pay for my other system (ahem...) the Oly 7-14 PRO was the best m43rds lens I owned. So, I agree it should be a great performer, if it is indeed real and not a rumour.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Is processing speed a problem on the EM1.2?
Not so much on the EM1.2, but as soon as they add more AF points to enable more accurate focus selection and hopefully improve also face and eye AF then processing speed becomes an issue. Also for video features they want to implement like 4k 60fps and 4k 120fps in combination with high bit rates. And don't forget High Res shooting handheld (1/60s) then processing power becomes a must again.

And there might be many other features of the EM1X that will also benefit or rather need faster focusing speed ....