The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think I know why I look forward to hold this camera: My most favourite camera ever from a "holding" point of view, was the Nikon D80 with vertical grip. I literally wore that camera out. I have a feeling that this camera will be more or less the same size and weight as that Nikon was, but obviously with vastly better performance and image quality. We'll see soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=NnT9qOy42yc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think I know why I look forward to hold this camera: My most favourite camera ever from a "holding" point of view, was the Nikon D80 with vertical grip. I literally wore that camera out. I have a feeling that this camera will be more or less the same size and weight as that Nikon was, but obviously with vastly better performance and image quality. We'll see soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=NnT9qOy42yc
I would say you might be then very pleased with that new EM1X - BUT actually the current EM1.2 with attached grip is pretty much same size and feel with one big exception: It allows to use the camera without grip that makes it much smaller and easier to carry :cool: And gives you more choices!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would say you might be then very pleased with that new EM1X - BUT actually the current EM1.2 with attached grip is pretty much same size and feel with one big exception: It allows to use the camera without grip that makes it much smaller and easier to carry :cool: And gives you more choices!
I had the E-M1 Mk.I with the grip, and yes, you are right. What I didn't like were some of the physical switches, mainly the 1/2 and the on/off switch. The on/off switch has been improved on the X, the 1/2 switch is still there. Then there were some annoying menu options and a dysfunctional auto ISO which have hopefully been improved. Time will show. I asume that video has been vastly improved with this model.

Worth noticing is that the much cheaper Panasonic G85 is also very close to this size, and there is a vertical grip, and it uses the same batteries as my GX8, and... a used one costs a fraction of an E-M1X... just sayin' :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the E-M1 Mk.I with the grip, and yes, you are right. What I didn't like were some of the physical switches, mainly the 1/2 and the on/off switch. The on/off switch has been improved on the X, the 1/2 switch is still there. Then there were some annoying menu options and a dysfunctional auto ISO which have hopefully been improved. Time will show. I asume that video has been vastly improved with this model.

Worth noticing is that the much cheaper Panasonic G85 is also very close to this size, and there is a vertical grip, and it uses the same batteries as my GX8, and... a used one costs a fraction of an E-M1X... just sayin' :ROTFL:
Where did you see that the on/off switch has been improved on the X?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, yes it is different but also not sure if that is really an improvement ....
It would have been even better if it were around the shutter release like on most other pro level cameras, but at the new position, it's placed where my left thumb will reach it while I'm holding the camera ready for shooting. It's also visible both from the back and from the top, so easy to see if the camera is on or off.

Knorp

It would have been even better if it were around the shutter release like on most other pro level cameras, but at the new position, it's placed where my left thumb will reach it while I'm holding the camera ready for shooting. It's also visible both from the back and from the top, so easy to see if the camera is on or off.
:grin: You must have a remarkable thumb, Jørgen.
Most of the time my left hand supports/operates the lens, so no way I could operate the switch.
But I've found good use for that unloved 1/2 switch of yours by assigning the power lever function to it ... :toocool:
So I can switch the camera on/off with my right thumb.

hot

22 years ago, 1996 I bought my first digital camera, Olympus C 800L, price was ~ $1000 :bugeyes:
NO memory card, BUILT IN 6 MB (six megabytes) for some pictures 1024x768, downloadable per RS232, 4xAA battery

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:grin: You must have a remarkable thumb, Jørgen.
Most of the time my left hand supports/operates the lens, so no way I could operate the switch.
But I've found good use for that unloved 1/2 switch of yours by assigning the power lever function to it ... :toocool:
So I can switch the camera on/off with my right thumb.
What?!? I didn't even know that was possible :shocked:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
High Resolution mode:
– “The software correction for artifacts is next level. You can easily use high rez for “moving landscapes”, e.g trees moving in the wind (not a storm, mind you) and it looks like an organic photo at 100%. The artifacts drove me nuts in the Em5 II, never found it usable for anything other than playing around, a gimmick. None of that in the X, first high-rez mode usable in the real world. Really cool.”
– “The camera takes 8 frames in 1/60s. Software is incredible. I’ve used it for landscapes where you’d normally need to use 1/125 sec shutter speed to freeze tree branches moving.”

Sensor performance:
– “It has a much better sensor. I guesstimate the low light performance to be 0.3 to 0.5 stops better than a D500. Usable depends on your taste.“. Over half a stop better than E-M1II
– “Iso 2500 on the x looks like 1600 on the Em1.2 probably. Like I said, a bit better than a D500.”

Video:
– “Video specs are on par with the GH5s, including low light. Of course, the camera has íbis unlike the panasonic.”

EVF:
– “No blackouts. Best EVF in the industry.”

More tidbits:
– Base ISO is 200

Autofocus:
– C-AF Tracking is “as good as or better than sony a9,better than my d4s for sure”

General impression:
-“ I’ve had hands-on with the camera and it is a massive improvement over the em1.2 in every regard. AF is at least equal to the A9, handling and built quality are better than my Nikon D4s, handheld hi-rez really works in good light (obviously limited in low light). High iso is as good as the Nikon D500 if not better (i could not take home files for comparison).”
– “I work in the industry, but photography is a hobby for me. The Em1x can’t replace my D4s for low-light portraits. For daylight wildlife and sports the EM1x is going to be ace. Better than a D500 and of course much lighter with the dedicated glass. The new tele zooms are incredible.”

https://www.43rumors.com/some-more-...qual-to-the-sony-a9-best-evf-in-the-industry/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That all sounds very promising! In this case good to be invested in that system.

Only need to have €3000.- for the camera and at least €4000.- for that 150-400 - makes at total of approximately €7000.- and maybe add the new wide zoom for another €2000.- (that then is €9000.-) and all is perfect :banghead:

Ok, I give up! What bank to break? Any suggestions? :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That all sounds very promising! In this case good to be invested in that system.

Only need to have €3000.- for the camera and at least €4000.- for that 150-400 - makes at total of approximately €7000.- and maybe add the new wide zoom for another €2000.- (that then is €9000.-) and all is perfect :banghead:

Ok, I give up! What bank to break? Any suggestions? :ROTFL:
If I buy this, I'll just use the lenses I have, including the PL 14-50mm in 4/3 mount. Might add a 75mm... again :)

k-hawinkler

Sensor readout time? :facesmack:

A9 getting many improvements this Spring and Summer, including better AF, focus tracking, and animal Eye-AF.

Please Olympus top that! :clap:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sensor readout time? :facesmack:

A9 getting many improvements this Spring and Summer, including better AF, focus tracking, and animal Eye-AF.

Please Olympus top that! :clap:
They will TOP THAT in all aspects :clap::thumbs::clap:

And maybe sensor readout time is no longer existent :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I buy this, I'll just use the lenses I have, including the PL 14-50mm in 4/3 mount. Might add a 75mm... again :)
No, NO Jorgen! If you buy this it implies that you at least add that new tele-zoom for whatever sports or wildlife - even if you have nothing in mind today trust me (actually Olympus) that this will come to your mind asap :toocool:

drunkenspyder

It has a much better sensor. I guesstimate the low light performance to be 0.3 to 0.5 stops better than a D500. Usable depends on your taste.
Yes, and the tastes of one's customers. I am working on two images for a gallery display in a couple of months right now. One is from a G9 shot in HighRes mode with dimensions of 10368 x 7776. The other is from a Phase One Trichro at 11608 x 8708. Both were taken right at sunrise, with the sun itself obscured by clouds, but with a lot of brilliant color and smoothed water. Both at ⅛ second. One guess which one we are spending all the time removing noise, especially color noise.

It's not a fair comparison, of course, even with the Lumix's not horrible HighRes mode. But if it comes down to which system to take, if both are suitable for the type of shooting envisioned—and that's a really big "if"—then it's no contest. I will be thrilled if Oly has significantly improved the MFT sensor. I would by an Oly body in a heartbeat if it is significant Because then the rest of the kit's compactness and lighter weight can make a huge difference. On safari, it will be no contest, so I will repeat myself: I will be really thrilled if they do that. As others have noted elsewhere, Panny's foray into FF probably means a diversion of resources away from MFT, and that disappoints me, but Oly seems committed, and that's good. I don't need another FF system. I want a compact high quality system that is suitable for gallery work without days of image manipulation due to the shortcomings of the sensor.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm starting to understand why I like this camera, at least if it lives up to the rumours. If I upgrade from my GX8 bodies, I would want the best stills capabilities and the best video capabilities available with m4/3, or else there's no point upgrading. That would mean a G9 for stills and a GH5s for video. However, I would also like the build quality of my D2Xs.

I don't doubt that this camera can, more or less, match the Nikon pro bodies for build quality, and the rumours claim that it will surpase the G9 for image quality and be as good as the GH5s for video (Almost. The rumours say 120fps for 1080p vs. 240fps for the GH5s, and nothing about 4K 60p).

If that is the case, this would be the do-it-all body for me, and $3,000 is certainly cheaper than the combined price of a G9+GH5s. I could always question wether I need all this, and there's a compromise called the GH5, which is even available second hand.

But there's more, like 4/3 lenses. I already have two (Zuiko 9-18 and PL 14-50) that are not worth much on the second hand market (tried to sell them for a reasonable price for almost a year now). No other camera will be more suitable for those lenses than the E-M1X, and at the moment, I don't have WA and high quality normal zooms in m4/3 mount.

You see where this is heading don't you :ROTFL: