The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

iiiNelson

Sensor readout time? :facesmack:
I believe they stated sensor readout was still 1/60 because it's the same exact sensor as before despite a newer version being available now. Obviously, this is more of an issue for the electronic shutter than the mechanical one. Maybe the price of the new sensor was higher than Olympus wanted to or could pay for considering their targeted price for the volume they intend to produce. No idea but for you specifically the Sony A9 incoming version 5 and version 6 firmware updates are probably much more important to what you shoot AND it saves you $3000 at the same time... so there's that.

k-hawinkler

I believe they stated sensor readout was still 1/60 because it's the same exact sensor as before despite a newer version being available now. Obviously, this is more of an issue for the electronic shutter than the mechanical one. Maybe the price of the new sensor was higher than Olympus wanted to or could pay for considering their targeted price for the volume they intend to produce. No idea but for you specifically the Sony A9 incoming version 5 and version 6 firmware updates are probably much more important to what you shoot AND it saves you $3000 at the same time... so there's that.

Thanks Tre. Exactly. :thumbs: :grin:

bensonga

Another very positive review of the EM1X - with 40-150 - compared to a Canon 1DX with a 100-400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7clEz3hdMA

Size and weight of the Canon combo are roughly double that of the Olympus combo

And AF and IQ seem to convince that guy!

This EM1X is getting my attention again ;):cool::D
I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this camera and using it at the Indycar race at Laguna Seca in September.

Gary

Once you have seen this video the EM1X and the features it offers for different genres become really understandable and why this camera is such a game changer already.
I'll pass on spending an hour and a half of my life watching a video about why the new Olympus camera is so great.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'll pass on spending an hour and a half of my life watching a video about why the new Olympus camera is so great.
Ha ha... I agree that one and a half hour is long. However, besides being one of the more enjoyable Youtube clowns, Joe Edelman is a very competent studio photographer who is sharing tons of good advice covering many aspects of photography. Seems like a nice way of spending a couple of hours tonight :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There is a little secret in watching these lengthy videos - just skip through the parts you are not interested. I made the hour and a half to something like 15 minutes and I think I did not miss too much relevant content :cool::ROTFL::thumbs:

Paratom

I do own some m43 equipment and also larger sensors. If I use wide angle up to 90mm I mostly use the cameras with larger sensor.
However for sports and longer reach the compact size of the m43 tele lenses (specially the 40-150) in combination with the speed of the em1II is great IMO. Specially for personal use, the 40-150 m43 lens sees more use than my 90-280 for the SL (Which is a beautiful lens but much bigger)
So a camera body aimed to sports and wildlife (like the em1-x) makes sense IMO (for Olympus).
For me the question: How much does one gain over the EM-1II? For my limited use I am totally fine with the EM-1II. If I did a lot of sports and Tele I woud be tempted by the EM-1X, however the price seems steep to me.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do own some m43 equipment and also larger sensors. If I use wide angle up to 90mm I mostly use the cameras with larger sensor.
However for sports and longer reach the compact size of the m43 tele lenses (specially the 40-150) in combination with the speed of the em1II is great IMO. Specially for personal use, the 40-150 m43 lens sees more use than my 90-280 for the SL (Which is a beautiful lens but much bigger)
So a camera body aimed to sports and wildlife (like the em1-x) makes sense IMO (for Olympus).
For me the question: How much does one gain over the EM-1II?
I think that the EM1X will stay the only camera that supports this AI based AF tricks we all have seen already from many reviews and presentations. I guess that AF will also be somehow faster and tracking in general more accurate. It will also be the only model (currently) that supports handheld high res shooting.

If these features are what you are looking for then the EM1X will stay the only m43 camera (from Olympus) to go for. Some features of the EM1X will come though to the EM1.2 via FW updates ....

I myself am on one side kind of intrigued to get it, on the other side I am not sure if I should not invest that money in some of the newer FF mirrorless offerings for things like better high ISO capabilities as well as being natively better suited for example for portrait photography.

Paratom

I think that the EM1X will stay the only camera that supports this AI based AF tricks we all have seen already from many reviews and presentations. I guess that AF will also be somehow faster and tracking in general more accurate. It will also be the only model (currently) that supports handheld high res shooting.

If these features are what you are looking for then the EM1X will stay the only m43 camera (from Olympus) to go for. Some features of the EM1X will come though to the EM1.2 via FW updates ....

I myself am on one side kind of intrigued to get it, on the other side I am not sure if I should not invest that money in some of the newer FF mirrorless offerings for things like better high ISO capabilities as well as being natively better suited for example for portrait photography.
Without debating it to be a great camera with some unique features - in my case I find the price to steep for my taste. The Em1II as not worlds better than the Em1I and this looks again more like an evolutionory step. If they put in a better viewfinder and a new sensor it would be more attractive.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Without debating it to be a great camera with some unique features - in my case I find the price to steep for my taste. The Em1II as not worlds better than the Em1I and this looks again more like an evolutionory step. If they put in a better viewfinder and a new sensor it would be more attractive.
Completely agree!

I was hoping for a 20MP BSI stacked sensor and an EVF with at least 3.6MP and 120fps refresh rate. Would have the new EM1X had these features I would have bought in a heartbeat.

But now I am looking into going Panasonic S1/S1R FF in parallel to my m43 system and add only some selected lenses (maybe even Leica L-Mount) to my equipment. Actually selling some of my old M-lenses would help me finance this step and my way of thinking is that any of the newer FF lenses like the 2/75 or 1.4/50 would be much better suited for the way I take photos now and I would not miss any of the M lenses which unfortunately are still MF also if mounted to a L-mount camera.

Sometimes these decisions like the one from Olympus for their EM1X really help to jump ships and adopt to equipment which is better suited for personal needs :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

Completely agree!

I was hoping for a 20MP BSI stacked sensor and an EVF with at least 3.6MP and 120fps refresh rate. Would have the new EM1X had these features I would have bought in a heartbeat.

But now I am looking into going Panasonic S1/S1R FF in parallel to my m43 system and add only some selected lenses (maybe even Leica L-Mount) to my equipment. Actually selling some of my old M-lenses would help me finance this step and my way of thinking is that any of the newer FF lenses like the 2/75 or 1.4/50 would be much better suited for the way I take photos now and I would not miss any of the M lenses which unfortunately are still MF also if mounted to a L-mount camera.

Sometimes these decisions like the one from Olympus for their EM1X really help to jump ships and adopt to equipment which is better suited for personal needs :ROTFL:
Well in reality the Panasonic doesn’t add any of the technical desires that you were hoping for and it’s unknown how it’ll do with M lenses - but there’s a great chance that the L-Mount lenses will perform better than the M lenses (similar to how the R lenses were optically better than M but larger). So the real question is - do you see yourself ever buying another M body because if not maybe it’s best to offload your lenses (that aren’t unique like the Noctilux or the Mandler 75 Summilux) and buy native lenses for your future system of choice.

Just my opinion thiugh. I’m sure the 50 Summilux L is probably superior to the M Summilux and maybe the Panasonic LUMIX S Pro 50 is too.