The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

bensonga

Thanks Jorgen! You have validated my desire to have a nice collection of both Olympus and Panasonic/Leica lenses for my m43 cameras. :salute:

I'm still wondering if there are any good reasons to primarily use Olympus lenses on Olympus cameras and Panasonic/Leica lenses on Panasonic cameras, setting aside the obvious issues re image stabilization.

Any thoughts from the experienced users of both systems here?

Gary

bensonga

Now what happened yesterday is that I took out my EM1.2 to shoot with the 40-150 PRO and I was blown away again by the speed and accuracy of AF-Tracking as well as by the quality of the final images. And then I thought - do I really need anything FF? Do I really want to get the headache of changing systems and/or adding FF now that I have a nearly perfect functioning system for me? And the answer was always a clear NO!

Just showing you 3 shots I took yesterday with my EM1.2 and the 40-150 PRO to show how perfectly this combo still works and let me assure you - eye tracking and face tracking worked blazingly fast! And I think this thread needs at least some pictures although they are not shot with the EM1X :cool:
These are really wonderful images Peter! I want to thank you again for providing the impetus to my purchase of the Oly 40-150 Pro lens. While I haven't produced any images as good as the three you shared here, I know it is through no fault of the lens, just the photographer standing behind it.

Another side note - I just updated the EM1 which I gave to my daughter 2 years ago with the latest FW 4.6 (I guess) yesterday and this became again just a new camera. AF absolutely reliable and fast and also tracking working perfect. All that increased my confidence in what Olympus is doing once more.
Guess I should update the firmware on my E-M1.1.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen! You have validated my desire to have a nice collection of both Olympus and Panasonic/Leica lenses for my m43 cameras. :salute:

I'm still wondering if there are any good reasons to primarily use Olympus lenses on Olympus cameras and Panasonic/Leica lenses on Panasonic cameras, setting aside the obvious issues re image stabilization.

Gary
In my experience, both work well on either camera brand, but my experience with Olympus MFT bodies is mainly limted to the E-M1. I find the files from Panasonic generally easier to process, but that may be because I have much more experience with them. What I did notice when I owned the E-M1 was that I liked the files from that camera with the PL 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (4/3) better than the files from the Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8. When that is said, I mostly prefer the files from that lens whatever camera it's mounted on. It's my favourite zoom lens. If I can't afford the X this year, I might buy a second hand E-M1 II to mount it on. AF with 4/3 lenses on Panasonic bodies is too slow.

At the moment, I only use two Zuiko lenses on my GX8 bodies, the 8mm Fisheye and the 12mm, but I will once again buy the 75mm, a lens that I have extremely good experiences with on all Panasonic bodies. The dilemma will come when I decide to upgrade from the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7. PL f/1.4 or Zuiko f/1.2? Both?

In my experience, both work well on either camera brand, but my experience with Olympus MFT bodies is mainly limted to the E-M1. I find the files from Panasonic generally easier to process, but that may be because I have much more experience with them. What I did notice when I owned the E-M1 was that I liked the files from that camera with the PL 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (4/3) better than the files from the Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8. When that is said, I mostly prefer the files from that lens whatever camera it's mounted on. It's my favourite zoom lens. If I can't afford the X this year, I might buy a second hand E-M1 II to mount it on. AF with 4/3 lenses on Panasonic bodies is too slow.

At the moment, I only use two Zuiko lenses on my GX8 bodies, the 8mm Fisheye and the 12mm, but I will once again buy the 75mm, a lens that I have extremely good experiences with on all Panasonic bodies. The dilemma will come when I decide to upgrade from the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7. PL f/1.4 or Zuiko f/1.2? Both?
Image stabilization is one reason to use Oly lenses on Oly bodies and Pany lenses on Pany bodies. Each has a unique adaptation of integrating lens IS (if any) with body IS (if any), and they are not cross-compatible. Also, if the Pany lens has an aperture control ring, that only works on Pany bodies. Not sure if the Oly manual focus clutch works on Pany bodies. I think the Lf (Lens Function) button on Oly lenses does work on Pany bodies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Image stabilization is one reason to use Oly lenses on Oly bodies and Pany lenses on Pany bodies. Each has a unique adaptation of integrating lens IS (if any) with body IS (if any), and they are not cross-compatible. Also, if the Pany lens has an aperture control ring, that only works on Pany bodies. Not sure if the Oly manual focus clutch works on Pany bodies. I think the Lf (Lens Function) button on Oly lenses does work on Pany bodies.
There are still only two Zuiko lenses with IS. When it comes to Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies, the Olympus IBIS is so efficient that it makes little difference if the lens IS is contributing or not. For 4/3 lenses, an Olympus E-M1 is always the best choice, since the E-M1 bodies are the only ones that will give fast enough AF due to phase detect AF. I can live without the aperture ring on my PL 14-50mm :)

Elderly

Gary
I only use Olympus bodies, so strictly not both systems.

The ultimate image stabilization is not that important to ME as most of my images contain somebody/something that is moving.
BUT, the slightly annoying thing about my mix of O. & P. lenses is that the zoom rings rotate in opposite directions :banghead:.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I only use Olympus bodies, so strictly not both systems.

The ultimate image stabilization is not that important to ME as most of my images contain somebody/something that is moving.
BUT, the slightly annoying thing about my mix of O. & P. lenses is that the zoom rings rotate in opposite directions :banghead:.
Ha ha... I haven't even noticed. I probably wouldn't be able to remember which way to turn them even if they rotated in the same direction :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today I had the chance to try the EM1X the first time for myself.

What shall I say ....

Overall I am very impressed, the camera gives you confidence - absolute confident - this is not just a marketing slogan by Olympus!

PROS:
1) The camera feels very solid - even much more than the EM1.2 and it is lighter than you would believe. Coming from the EM1.2 I felt at home immediately!
2) The EVF is from another world - knowing that it is only 2.4MP (same as the one in the EM1.2) it seems to react much faster which is not only because of 120fps refresh rate but mainly because of progressive scan. It shows all information much crisper and sharper and not as "un-precise" as the EM1.2. I was very pleased with that EVF which was pretty surprising for me and I for sure could fully live with it - this was actually one of my biggest concerns, but again your milage may vary.
3) The camera is FAST - in all regards and it is very logical to operate. For sure at least one step above the EM1.2
4) Noise at higher ISO is much better controlled than in the EM1.2 - I learned that this is because of the new coating on the sensor and the much more increased processing power of this camera. It is much better at base ISO as well as up till 3200 - 6400 ISO. I would guess at least 1 stop!
5) Image stabilisation is out of a different world!

CONS:
1) The camera will never get smaller as the EM1.2 does as the grip is integrated
2) The price is steep at €3000.- maybe at least €500.- too much for me. At a price between €2200.- to 2500.- I would buy it without any hesitation - at least as a fully invested Olympus m43 shooter.
3) I still do not understand why Olympus did not go with a BSI sensor - maybe even a stacked BSI sensor - but maybe that is because they will not sell so many of this beast.
4) Handheld High Res Shot - while this is a great new feature and it works really well - even for portraits or persons holding somehow still, I think I would not use too often as processing requires some estimated 10-20 seconds and during that time the camera is blocked, so you cannot take any shot - at least I could not manage to do so.

CONCLUSION so far (as an Olympus m43 PRO shooter):
I am not sure if I will buy this camera, mainly because of that steep price, as said for €2200.- this would become a no-brainer for me. Mainly because IQ is so much better at higher ISO. Would I need to use this camera professionally and try to rely solely on m43 then I most probably would buy this and call it a day - it is as good. But I am no professional and for me the question is if I really need it and not rather want to spend that money on something that I want more - whatever that is ....

I asked when we can expect an EM1.3 with hopefully a BSI sensor and with the possibility to take off the battery grip. The answer was for sure not in 2019, maybe in 2020, but most likely towards the end of 2020 - so actually you could buy it in 2 years from now.

All this leaves me with pretty mixed feelings about the future of Olympus m43 and foremost about my future with that system - unfortunately because there would be much to love about that camera. But maybe my mind will change - who knows :cool: I only can hope for Olympus that many feel the need and/or desire to buy this camera NOW ....

The price is steep at €3000.- maybe at least €500.- too much for me. At a price between €2200.- to 2500.- I would buy it without any hesitation - at least as a fully invested Olympus m43 shooter.
You should be able to buy a lightly used one or a demo for that kind of money in 6-12 months.

bensonga

Picked up my E-M1X today from the local shop. While I was there, I also bought the 17mm f1.2 Pro lens, so now I have the trio of these excellent Olympus fast primes.

As expected, I'm impressed with the build quality and feel of the E-M1X in my hands. It is not too heavy for me. I'm back in Alaska now so I will take some pics with it this weekend. The Iditarod Sled Dog race begins in Anchorage Saturday morning, so I'll try to get some photos of the dog teams rounding my favorite corners along the Chester Creek park strip.

https://iditarod.com/

When I was in Maui earlier this week I was returning from a snorkeling trip when the captain spotted 3-4 humpback whales breaching about 250 yards from the boat. He stopped the boat and we watched them breaching almost continuously for about 20 minutes. During that time they came closer and closer to the boat. At the closest point they were 120 yards away (boats cannot be closer than 100 yards to the whales). One whale in particular put on an exceptional display, launching himself vertically out of the water with only the last few feet of his tail still in the water. Along the way we had been getting drenched with ocean spray from the high winds and waves crashing over the low 40 foot super raft. A guy on the boat near me was shooting with a E-M1.2 and the 40-150/2.8 lens. I talked with him later and he showed me some of his pics on the rear LCD screen. As good as the E-M1.2 is re weather proofing, after this experience he said he was giving serious consideration to picking up a E-M1X later this year. I did not take a camera with me on that snorkeling trip....just enjoyed the experience.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

I would be the first to say that this is NOT the kind of photo the E-M1X was designed to excel at. There are many other cameras which could produce more detailed etc images of this scene. My Sigma sd Quattro comes to mind (amongst many others).

That said, I left work with the E-M1X and the 17/1.2 lens in my car...so here it is.

This may be the first E-M1X image posted by a GetDPI member, but I'm confident there will be more (and much better) E-M1X images posted on GetDPI in the months and years to come.

Gary

Ship Creek, E-M1X, 17mm f1.2 Pro lens, ISO 100, 1/80th at f8, JPG file lightly processed.

bensonga

You might be right! But again I am not sure how this bodes for Olympus if everyone of the potential buyers thinks similar.
I hope that not EVERY potential buyer of the E-M1X is waiting for a big discount on the price. I personally think Olympus deserves a lot of credit for taking a chance and going out on a limb to develop this professional grade m43rds camera. I for one was willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra. I hope Olympus will continue to push the envelope in designing high end micro 4/3rds cameras and lenses.

Gary

Knorp

Picked up my E-M1X today from the local shop. While I was there, I also bought the 17mm f1.2 Pro lens, so now I have the trio of these excellent Olympus fast primes.

As expected, I'm impressed with the build quality and feel of the E-M1X in my hands. It is not too heavy for me. I'm back in Alaska now so I will take some pics with it this weekend. The Iditarod Sled Dog race begins in Anchorage Saturday morning, so I'll try to get some photos of the dog teams rounding my favorite corners along the Chester Creek park strip.

https://iditarod.com/

When I was in Maui earlier this week I was returning from a snorkeling trip when the captain spotted 3-4 humpback whales breaching about 250 yards from the boat. He stopped the boat and we watched them breaching almost continuously for about 20 minutes. During that time they came closer and closer to the boat. At the closest point they were 120 yards away (boats cannot be closer than 100 yards to the whales). One whale in particular put on an exceptional display, launching himself vertically out of the water with only the last few feet of his tail still in the water. Along the way we had been getting drenched with ocean spray from the high winds and waves crashing over the low 40 foot super raft. A guy on the boat near me was shooting with a E-M1.2 and the 40-150/2.8 lens. I talked with him later and he showed me some of his pics on the rear LCD screen. As good as the E-M1.2 is re weather proofing, after this experience he said he was giving serious consideration to picking up a E-M1X later this year. I did not take a camera with me on that snorkeling trip....just enjoyed the experience.

Gary
Congrats, Gary. And that 17mm is said to be one of the sharpest lenses for µ43 format.
Looking forward to your dog race shots.

Kind regards.

Knorp

I hope that not EVERY potential buyer of the E-M1X is waiting for a big discount on the price. I personally think Olympus deserves a lot of credit for taking a chance and going out on a limb to develop this professional grade m43rds camera. I for one was willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra. I hope Olympus will continue to push the envelope in designing high end micro 4/3rds cameras and lenses.

Gary
Oh dear - for the moment I'm just sitting comfortably on my wallet. Well, that is till it starts hurting ... :grin:

bensonga

Oh dear - for the moment I'm just sitting comfortably on my wallet. Well, that is till it starts hurting ... :grin:
Prolonged sitting on a thick wallet is not good for your posture and spine...much better for your health if you sit on a thinner wallet. ;)

Gary

bensonga

Another shot along Ship Creek with the E-M1X and 17/1.2 Pro lens. Raw file converted to TIF with the Olympus Workspace software. Does anyone use this software?

Gary

ISO 100, 1/80th at f8

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Gary
Gary,

I hear you and my thoughts are similar. Having said that with all the great things about the EM1X my mixd feelings are not vanishing. I bought into m43 mainly also because of the compactness of the system and with that current EM1X body this is simply ignored from the body form and weight. I know why they needed to do this as the processing power in this camera requires that large body with advanced cooling, yes, yes I know, but even with that and all the advantages coming with it in mind (much better higher ISO performance, handheld high res, etc.) the body is still to big for most photography adventures I am going to undertake. And I am no professional who likely would need this.

Just thinking WRT high res handheld - take a Nikon Z7 that gives you natively and instantly 45MP (the EM1X takes 15-20 sec between the shots to calculate the high res image) is rendering this feature pretty useless for me. Also the advantages of better higher ISO and better DR because of heavy processing in camera - you get that natively with a Z7 and still have better high ISO and DR performance. And I take the Z7 example just because it is with the right lenses (that are there or to be expected) a pretty comparative size and weight. Otherwise we also could compare this to a S1R but then it would get much heavier .... And the EVF - although the EVF of the EM1X is superb, it does not come close to the EVF of the Z7. I think you see my thoughts ....

Now issue is that many of the potential buyers are thinking similar as far as I am aware. There are of course some exceptions and you are really brave that you are one of them and this is good for Olympus, but I cannot help myself thinking that this will be rather the exceptions.

Anyway have much fun with your EM1X and I hope to see many photos from you made with this wonderful machine :thumbs:

I am sure that the majority of photographers who want this camera will pay full freight to have it now rather than wait for a demo or used one to become available. It is always thus.