The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-interview-at-phototrend-more-mft-cameras-will-be-announced-in-2019/

I really hope Olympus releases a E-M1 Mk III in 2019.

Maybe with that release a few of the people complaining about the size and weight of the E-M1X will stop whining about it.

Gary
I am still not impressed by their plans, overall strategy and vision. And I am definitely not impressed by their financial strength to really move forward with cutting edge technology.

Unfortunately :facesmack:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I am still not impressed by their plans, overall strategy and vision. And I am definitely not impressed by their financial strength to really move forward with cutting edge technology.

Unfortunately :facesmack:
If this is the case should you cut your losses and move into a different system? Or are you just waiting to see how things shake out?

k-hawinkler

Well my numerous Olympus gear will still take great pictures for many years to come, no doubt about it. Even if I should never spend another penny on additional Olympus stuff. :LOL:

A much better sensor readout time is time is essential for me. :facesmack: :ROTFL:

bensonga

Well my numerous Olympus gear will still take great pictures for many years to come, no doubt about it. Even if I should never spend another penny on additional Olympus stuff. :LOL:
Ditto here! :thumbs:

Yesterday a Oly Four Thirds 50-200 f2.8-3.5 lens arrived. A very nice lens in excellent condition. I mounted it on the E-5 (with grip) and then placed it next to my G9 (with grip) which had the PL 50-200 f2.8-4 lens mounted. Once again, I was impressed with how compact a m43 kit can be, even with the equivalent of a 100-400 mm lens attached.

I took a few quick test shots with the E-5/50-200 combo and made some prints last night. Another winner! I really need to try these FT lenses on the E-M1X soon.

Gary

k-hawinkler

Hi Gary, I am looking forward to your E-M1X images.
BTW I have the Olympus50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD Zuiko Zoom Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras. Not bad, not bad at all. :thumbs: :LOL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately this test shows the issues I have feared would come up when comparing the EM1X to one of the direct competitors they were designed for by Olympus - the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1DXmk2

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2377188086/olympus-e-m1x-vs-the-nikon-d5-at-the-tennis-match

the performance that the EM1X shows in this direct comparison is lame at best - unfortunately I had foreseen this already.

So finally definitely not a camera for me - remains to be asked for whom this EM1X would be a fit?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately this test shows the issues I have feared would come up when comparing the EM1X to one of the direct competitors they were designed for by Olympus - the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1DXmk2

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2377188086/olympus-e-m1x-vs-the-nikon-d5-at-the-tennis-match

the performance that the EM1X shows in this direct comparison is lame at best - unfortunately I had foreseen this already.

So finally definitely not a camera for me - remains to be asked for whom this EM1X would be a fit?
Nah... that wasn't so bad. The elephant in the room is the D500 which they mention in the last paragraph. In this country, the D500 is half the price of the Olympus, and for the remaining monies, I can buy second hand lenses that would cover most of my sports needs. I see that they mention the viewfinder, and I agree; it is the Achilles heel of mirrorless cameras when it comes to sports, and that goes for the A9 too in my view.

iiiNelson

No surprises there really. The only Mirrorless camera that meets or exceeds the performance of the top tier Canon and Nikon bodies is the Sony A9. Olympus would’ve needed to completely revamp their AF system and possibly incorporate a newer sensor to compete in all reality.

I think Olympus will still have a niche for those that want a smaller system that can still do nearly everything pretty well... just not as well as the flagships. This would be especially true for outdoors and nature photographers that want a rugged body with good battery life that incorporates smaller lenses with a lot of telephoto reach. It may be a great camera for you still if you aren’t doing a lot of action based sports... I think people just need to manage expectations... pricing concerns aside. That’s really the biggest negative it seems for this camera... $3k buys you most cameras and $5k (with a few lenses) makes it a hard sell to attract people outside the Olympus ecosystem.

k-hawinkler

No surprises there really. The only Mirrorless camera that meets or exceeds the performance of the top tier Canon and Nikon bodies is the Sony A9. Olympus would’ve needed to completely revamp their AF system and possibly incorporate a newer sensor to compete in all reality.

I think Olympus will still have a niche for those that want a smaller system that can still do nearly everything pretty well... just not as well as the flagships. This would be especially true for outdoors and nature photographers that want a rugged body with good battery life that incorporates smaller lenses with a lot of telephoto reach. It may be a great camera for you still if you aren’t doing a lot of action based sports... I think people just need to manage expectations... pricing concerns aside. That’s really the biggest negative it seems for this camera... $3k buys you most cameras and $5k (with a few lenses) makes it a hard sell to attract people outside the Olympus ecosystem.
Thanks Tre. A9 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap:

Olympus needs to put out a camera with A9 performance.
A9 with FW 5.0 is even better than before. Amazing performance.
Next up FW 6.0. :LOL:

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. A9 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap:

Olympus needs to put out a camera with A9 performance.
A9 with FW 5.0 is even better than before. Amazing performance.
Next up FW 6.0. :LOL:
No one has put out a camera like the A9 and if I were Sony it’s a line of sensors I would NOT sell to the competition until the next generation had a tangible significant advantage over the older version. I’m still holding out that Sony introduces the pro body that I want.

Got a few concerns about the Lumix S processing capability in that the AF can be overloaded in video if using and external device to record onto. Perhaps this is something that can be corrected in firmware updates for algorithm efficiency but I wonder if the decision to maintain CDAF/DFD based AF is a great long term decision years from now or if it’ll require an upgraded body within the next year or two based on whatever the competition releases. I still love what Panasonic is doing and I still believe they are Sony’s most direct competition based on their ability to do both excellent photo, video, and lens design in a Mirrorless system. I’m personally am a bit conflicted because I have my decisions narrowed down to these two brands and no other brand (other than potentially Fuji) is remotely in the conversation for me for a system of choice.

iiiNelson

Saw this video yesterday comparing the flagship Sony and Nikon bodies. The conclusion is that they can all get the shot. It’s really down to what’s most important to you. The guy is a Nikon shooter but had users of all brands at his workshop.

https://youtu.be/NredbHXAARY

If Sony maintains the sales strategy with the A9 as they have the A7 once the new model comes out as a less expensive pro option that may shake things up even more. The A9 has been sold new in retail for $3500 for the better part of the last 6 months or so. If they maintain that or get closer to the $3k mark the. EVERYONE would need to drop their prices... if the rumors of an A9II coming this fall merit any truth.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After all these evolutions we have seen from Olympus (EM1X) as well as Sony (A9, A9II, FW updates) and Panasonic (S1/S1R and the potential of the L-mount) I must say I am even more underwhelmed now by what Olympus offers with the EM1X. Kind of crazy to buy such a camera for such a prize - even if fully invested in the Olympus m43 system like I am.

I am getting tired of all these trials to make m43 and especially the EM1X shine - no comparison to the many years old DLSRs like D5, D500 and D1X2 it actually was built by Olympus to compete, but even less comparable to something like the A9/A9II and the S1,S1/R - at least for my type of shooting. This is mainly erratic subject (kids) with C-AF as well as wildlife (also erratic) combined with great high ISO capabilities (well only FF will deliver) as well as portrait shooting (again FF is a big advantage because of high ISO and DOF). And finally that Olympus EVF in the EM1X is simply a joke for the current state of the art possible - looking at Panasonic with 5.7MP AND 120 fps AND OLED!!!!!

I am even coming to the point that I start finding it useless to keep my old M lenses (at least only keep a small number of them) and rather switch to much more capable modern native mirrorless lenses from whatever mount (Sony or Panasonic for that matter).

Brings me to my temporary final conclusion:

1) closely watch what Sony is doing with their A9II or A9 and maybe get one of these cameras with the G-Master 100-400 and 2-3 more G-master lenses. And say goodbye to Leica M.

2) closely watch how the L-mount is evolving around the Panasonic S1/S1R in combination with native Panasonic or Sigma lenses. And adapt maybe 1 or 2 M-mount lenses I have while selling the rest.

3) definitely stop further investing in m43 (especially Olympus) and wait till I find a way to sell off most of that system at a good prize.

This is where I am currently in my photographic/videographic evolution - whoever is interested in that, if not just ignore my ramblings!

And I want to say I do definitely not want to step on anybodies toes with these thoughts, but this is what turns out to be most likely my future and where I might go from today - else something totally unexpected happens - who ever knows?

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

After all these evolutions we have seen from Olympus (EM1X) as well as Sony (A9, A9II, FW updates) and Panasonic (S1/S1R and the potential of the L-mount) I must say I am even more underwhelmed now by what Olympus offers with the EM1X. Kind of crazy to buy such a camera for such a prize - even if fully invested in the Olympus m43 system like I am.

I am getting tired of all these trials to make m43 and especially the EM1X shine - no comparison to the many years old DLSRs like D5, D500 and D1X2 it actually was built by Olympus to compete, but even less comparable to something like the A9/A9II and the S1,S1/R - at least for my type of shooting. This is mainly erratic subject (kids) with C-AF as well as wildlife (also erratic) combined with great high ISO capabilities (well only FF will deliver) as well as portrait shooting (again FF is a big advantage because of high ISO and DOF). And finally that Olympus EVF in the EM1X is simply a joke for the current state of the art possible - looking at Panasonic with 5.7MP AND 120 fps AND OLED!!!!!

I am even coming to the point that I start finding it useless to keep my old M lenses (at least only keep a small number of them) and rather switch to much more capable modern native mirrorless lenses from whatever mount (Sony or Panasonic for that matter).

1) closely watch what Sony is doing with their A9II or A9 and maybe get one of these cameras with the G-Master 100-400 and 2-3 more G-master lenses. And say goodbye to Leica M.

2) closely watch how the L-mount is evolving around the Panasonic S1/S1R in combination with native Panasonic or Sigma lenses. And adapt maybe 1 or 2 M-mount lenses I have while selling the rest.

3) definitely stop further investing in m43 (especially Olympus) and wait till I find a way to sell off most of that system at a good prize.

This is where I am currently in my photographic/videographic evolution - whoever is interested in that, if not just ignore my ramblings!

And I want to say I do definitely not want to step on anybodies toes with these thoughts, but this is what turns out to be most likely my future and where I might go from today - else something totally unexpected happens - who ever knows?
Thanks Peter. Olympus has some absolutely fabulous lenses.
Too bad they don't have an equally riveting camera to use them on.

pegelli

Allthough I understand where you're coming from I would keep a few good Olympus lenses you currently have.

Just imagine "what if" the rumoured EM1mark3 has a better EVF and sensor, but is specced below the EM1X in the AF department (but above the EM1mark2) and reasonable priced inbetween the mark2 and the X.
Wouldn't you be sorry to have to reacquire the lenses you would need for such a camera?

Just my $ 0,05, or in other words it would be what I would do if I had an Olympus system today.

iiiNelson

I believe that Olympus knows their market but at some point you as a consumer just have to question if you are still their target. That was my main reasoning for exiting Leica. I loved my M9’s (despite the QA/QC sensor issues) but I didn’t like the direction they were going at the time. Some of their decisions seem to have been rectified with the introduction of the M10 and the L-Mount Alliance. All of that being said I can’t see myself seriously investing in Canon because they have upmarket products to protect and it’s a real problem felt by existing Canon owner s that I know... a problem that doesn’t look to be solved anytime soon as I believe Canon is looking to push further upmarket to offset losses in a shifting consumer market. Fuji is cool. Nikon is borderline interesting for some but their cameras have never felt “right” to me even though I tried on several occasions to like them. In any case they’re capable but I think that’s true of pretty much every brand now.

As for Sony... I’m invested in them but I offloaded some stuff last year. I’m kind of in limbo with them. I want to continue to love them but I also REALLY like the idea of the L-Mount Alliance as well. Time will tell for me.

iiiNelson

Allthough I understand where you're coming from I would keep a few good Olympus lenses you currently have.

Just imagine "what if" the rumoured EM1mark3 has a better EVF and sensor, but is specced below the EM1X in the AF department (but above the EM1mark2) and reasonable priced inbetween the mark2 and the X.
Wouldn't you be sorry to have to reacquire the lenses you would need for such a camera?

Just my $ 0,05, or in other words it would be what I would do if I had an Olympus system today.
I think the EM1x and EM1mk2 have the same AF system. I think the EM1X has an additional processor to handle the algorithm based focusing like animal and object based recognition (A.I. and “deep learning” in marketing speak).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think the EM1x and EM1mk2 have the same AF system. I think the EM1X has an additional processor to handle the algorithm based focusing like animal and object based recognition (A.I. and “deep learning” in marketing speak).
This is exactly true and this is one of the issues I have with that camera. That sensor including AF system is exactly the same WRT hardware, it only has a new better coating and they try to improve that by throwing crazy processing power on top in order to make AF more fancy and fast as well as make IQ a bit better (maybe) by even more processing. And then mount that into a larger body and cash 3k for that construct.

Sorry but that is not what I had waited for and expected. Only issue is that my patience with Olympus is coming really to an end ....

iiiNelson

This is exactly true and this is one of the issues I have with that camera. That sensor including AF system is exactly the same WRT hardware, it only has a new better coating and they try to improve that by throwing crazy processing power on top in order to make AF more fancy and fast as well as make IQ a bit better (maybe) by even more processing. And then mount that into a larger body and cash 3k for that construct.

Sorry but that is not what I had waited for and expected. Only issue is that my patience with Olympus is coming really to an end ....
Yeah I think it would be an easier sell at $1500-2000 give or take but maybe they’re factoring in the lower production volume into the costs. I don’t get Olympus’ direction if I’m being honest but I never really have in the digital age outside of the nostalgia of the PEN & OMD Cameras. I think they’re capable but not really for me.