The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

Godfrey

I'm going to go charge up my E-1, fit the 50-200 plus 1.4x Extender, and make some photographs. At 16 years old, it still makes some of the most beautiful photographs I've seen out of anything. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried the E-M1X today. Fantastic camera, excellent ergonomics. My only complaint is that I can't reach the review button when holding the camera with one hand.... ah... and the price :scry:

drofnad

Yeah I think it would be an easier sell at $1500-2000 give or take but maybe ...
In the newest B&H Photo/Video catalogue (I just found) the price of the E-M1X & E-M1.2(gripless) are equal at $1700 (written, of course, as "1,699").
Yet in an on-line price check, I see "$2,999" & "1,499 ($200 savings)", respectively. !? Time to jump on a printed-paper typo?! (Well, on scrutiny, I see the small-type order-# for both --in print-- as "OLEM12" so that explains the mistaken printed price for the new body. Still, it IS so advertised, in tangible material!)

-d.

Internaut

Review now up on dpreview. It got a solid silver. And if anyone thinks the EVF is too far behind the curve, the reviewer disagrees (the engineering decision behind it works well). IMHO, Olympus need to deliver two things to this camera, via firmware update: i) normal C-AF improved a little and ii) more AI modes in addition to planes (which some users report work well for BIFs), trains and automobiles.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
IMO this dpreview review of the EM1X shows very clearly the weaknesses and flaws of it's design concept and it's designers - unfortunately on more levels than expected - the most disappointing one being AF-C.

This camera and this review gives me one confidence - just to speak in Olympus own marketing language - the confidence that THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA FOR ME!

And this from a person who really likes his EM1.2 and pro lenses!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
IMO this dpreview review of the EM1X shows very clearly the weaknesses and flaws of it's design concept and it's designers - unfortunately on more levels than expected - the most disappointing one being AF-C.

This camera and this review gives me one confidence - just to speak in Olympus own marketing language - the confidence that THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA FOR ME!

And this from a person who really likes his EM1.2 and pro lenses!
It's the camera for me, but unfortunately not for my wallet. I have tried it. It's a camera with very few limitations and with rock solid ergonomics. The problem is that I can buy a G9 and a GH5 for the same price.

After reading the manual and discussing with a couple of owners, there are a couple of niggles that I hope they'll fix with a firmware upgrade, particularly if they can introduce Panasonic's elegant solution for switching between EVF and LCD by just folding out the LCD and being able to review photos in the EVF. If anybody has found a way to solve this, please speak up.

I don't buy cameras from reading spec sheets anymore, and even reviews have their limitations. Still, I've read dpr's conclusion, and I'm actually surprised to see how positive it is. It's not a camera for everyone, but for somebody who is now sitting, 4 o' clock in the morning after arriving from Bangkok an hour ago, at the crappy domestic lounge of NAIA's terminal 2, waiting for a flight to General Santos City to inspect a broken fishmeal plant and have meetings with its owners, in spite of believing less than 24 hours ago that I would spend this week in the office, a camera like this is a pretty ideal proposition. I need something that always works, and that has few limitations. That includes cameras and credit cards :ROTFL:

bensonga

A friend of mine (Dan) is a long time m43 owner (mostly Olympus cameras/lenses, including the E-M1.1 and E-M1.2, but also some Panasonic cameras/lenses). He shoots a lot of BIF (also with Canon DSLRs, big Canon telephoto zooms/primes and more recently the Sony A9/A7rIII and Sony telephotos). Dan very recently bought a E-M1X and shared some of his early results with me this morning. He gave me permission to share the photos on GetDPI, with the caveat that he is still deciding how to "optimally configure the camera settings". Dan wrote the following "I was pretty impressed with the head-on BIF shots, but the A9 is probably even faster."

Here is the link to his photos from Oyster Point along San Francisco Bay. It includes a couple of closeups and several BIF images:
http://biodan.org/pix25/OysterPoint/M1X_tests.html

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have tried the EM1X as well myself and while it is a great camera to hold I was definitely not impressed by the EVF and the lack of a top LCD which would come in very handy for me in several situations and became a standard on most high end cameras by today. Also there is enough room to have one on this camera. I also of course tried the AF and AF-C and while it is faster and more accurate than the EM1.2 for general usage it is not that much better - at least for me.

As a many years EM1 and EM1.2 shooter I know these cameras and all their quirks and menus and handling in and out that allows me to judge the EM1X pretty well, but for me WRT operation and functionality there is not really much difference to the EM1.2 - at least not enough to justify this costly upgrade. While it is marginally better in some disciplines the size, EVF and also the prize makes me not want to buy one especially if I can get an A9 or S1R now for not much more money and even get the advantages of FF.

This makes me confident not to own this camera!

I am confident I would buy an EM1.3 immediately if it comes with real improvements in EVF and sensor though - and maybe global shutter - well one can still have dreams .....

Last edited: