The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Subjective experience with G9 firmware v1.2 and birds in flight

Well spotted Bart.

Several pointers for me and I do more pictures of people than birds - but mine often move just as fast.

Tony

Jrsforums

BigLouis...

Could you share the AF settings you decided to use for BIF...and why? Also, what AF mode do you use?

Thanks, John

Jrsforums

One thing that it's important to be aware of is that any mirrorless camera, as opposed to any DSLR, uses a significant amount of processing capacity to update the EVF. A DSLR obviously uses none. The better the EVF, the more processing goes on, leaving less capacity for AF and image processing. I have seen claims that these are separate processing channels and that they don't influence each other. I don't believe that. All processes in a computer system influence on each other, and all generate heat, lowering the capacity, and in the case of cameras, introduce noise.

While I have a lot of respect for Panasonic's work on DFD, the constant calculations that are necessary to make it work, must take its toll on the processing capacity, and I think it's fair to question if enough of it is available.

The first time I gave up on m4/3, one of the reasons was actually that I suspected that limited processing capacity sometimes influenced image quality negatively when using heavily software corrected lenses, like the Panasonic 7-14mm. This shouldn't be a problem with the 200mm, since I believe it's optically corrected, but again; there are other processes going on.
What you say about mirrorless updating EVF may be true, but solvable with faster cpu.

To my knowledge, most DSLRs use a separate processor for AF. I know when Cano talks about one or two processors in their 5Ds or 1Ds, they are not counting the independent AF processing unit.

iiiNelson

What you say about mirrorless updating EVF may be true, but solvable with faster cpu.

To my knowledge, most DSLRs use a separate processor for AF. I know when Cano talks about one or two processors in their 5Ds or 1Ds, they are not counting the independent AF processing unit.
Yeah I’m sure most cameras have the processing thing figured out... certainly the more advanced ones do.

biglouis

I thought I'd follow up with some more photographs. I am coming around to a couple of conclusions. Firstly, my technique needs more work. I'd say, half my failures are down to poor panning, not being close enough and metering. When I do get all three right I get good, sometimes even excellent results. Secondly, I get better results if I use mechanical shutter, AFF and a mid-sized single point of focus. For most of my shots yesterday I was using that set up.

Just read an interesting post by Daniel Cox explaining using back button focus with AF-C. I may give that a try on my next outting.

I'm also trialing DxO and taking the photos from LR into DxO and using the noise reduction and sharpening tools in that application. The noise reduction seems very good.

This swan is straight out of the camera (RAW) with cropping in LR. When the 200/2.8 is good, it is very, very good.

For this cormorant, I used both the noise reduction and sharpening of DxO. It cleaned up the background substantially without destroying the detail in the bird.

Likewise, this one

This particular shot posed no real issues as the bird was about six feet from me and quite submissive about me taking photographs. I did process it through DxO but in fact LR would have done an equally good job as it was low iso and almost entirely filled the frame.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I thought I'd follow up with some more photographs. I am coming around to a couple of conclusions. Firstly, my technique needs more work. I'd say, half my failures are down to poor panning, not being close enough and metering. When I do get all three right I get good, sometimes even excellent results. Secondly, I get better results if I use mechanical shutter, AFF and a mid-sized single point of focus. For most of my shots yesterday I was using that set up.
Just read an interesting post by Daniel Cox explaining using back button focus with AF-C. I may give that a try on my next outting.
Louis,

this shows so nicely what m43 is capable of and I really doubt that it could be made much better with FF. At least only with much more weight and much, MUCH more money invested.

So for me m43 is not dead as long such cameras and lenses can be used by such capable folks like you!

Best

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's a totally different class, Louis, and yes, you need to use the mechanical shutter for action, particularly when panning.

Well done Louis.

In a totally different league.

I've never used DXO. I use Qimage to get from my RAWs and Picture Window Pro when the jpg/tif needs some fine tuning.

I tried C-AF last weekend on my firework crowd shots but turned it off as it seemed, in the viewfinder, to be hunting.

But keep posting those bird shots - they are polls apart from the ones you put up a couple of weeks ago.

Tony

biglouis

Thanks, all for the encouraging words.

The great thing about photography is that you are always learning. It is a great way to spend time!

Louis

I get better results if I use mechanical shutter, AFF and a mid-sized single point of focus. For most of my shots yesterday I was using that set up.

I don't have AFF on my e-m5 mk 2 so I am interested in what you find out about AF-C. That Daniel Cox post is huge and I think most of the meat comes from the interchange rather than that list of settings at the top. I started reading all those Q and A posts and gave up when they became too much about what other people do rather than asking DC for his advice.

That video that we were directed to earlier showed the photographer using Repeat Frame Anti Shock Low rather than Sequential Low. Any views?

Tony

Knorp

I get better results if I use mechanical shutter, AFF and a mid-sized single point of focus. For most of my shots yesterday I was using that set up.

I don't have AFF on my e-m5 mk 2 so I am interested in what you find out about AF-C. That Daniel Cox post is huge and I think most of the meat comes from the interchange rather than that list of settings at the top. I started reading all those Q and A posts and gave up when they became too much about what other people do rather than asking DC for his advice.

That video that we were directed to earlier showed the photographer using Repeat Frame Anti Shock Low rather than Sequential Low. Any views?

Tony
From the G9 manual

Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 08.42.45.jpg