The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - anyone using it these days?

Another forum I follow has just started a thread about pancakes.

A search around here does not produce much sign of them being used.

Is the feeling, here anyway, that they are not really up to mustard when one can get (albeit bigger and more expensive) alternatives?

Would any of you GetDPI folk be brave enough to tackle a project solely with the 20mm pancake?

Tony

iiiNelson

Another forum I follow has just started a thread about pancakes.

A search around here does not produce much sign of them being used.

Is the feeling, here anyway, that they are not really up to mustard when one can get (albeit bigger and more expensive) alternatives?

Would any of you GetDPI folk be brave enough to tackle a project solely with the 20mm pancake?

Tony
When I was more deeply invested into Micro 4/3 (I sold a bunch of stuff off roughly 8-9 years ago to fund some M-mount lens purchases) the 20/1.7 version 1 was one of my most used lenses. I used it a lot throughout my first trip to Germany (along with the PL 45 Macro, the 14-45, the 45-200, and the 7-14). I think it was one of the first Micro 4/3 lenses that really made people pay attention to the system as a whole.

Thanks iiii.

Do you have any shots from the pancake on line?

I suppose, with the right body, it does make an almost pocketable m43.

Like BigLouis I am a Ricoh GR fan but the 1.7 is appealing. My Ricoh is all I take on holiday. Would I dare just taking the smallest m43 and pancake on a trip? Probably not as the sensor in the Ricoh is that much larger.

Tony

V

Vivek

Tony, I think it is 3 and not iv. :)

I have used (the V1) extensively and still own it. As cute as it is, I will not consider it now over my RX1/RX1R II. Big sensors do have their benefits.

iiiNelson

Thanks iiii.

Like BigLouis I am a Ricoh GR fan but the 1.7 is appealing. My Ricoh is all I take on holiday. Would I dare just taking the smallest m43 and pancake on a trip? Probably not as the sensor in the Ricoh is that much larger.

Tony
I may... I’m not 100% sure. I’ll give it a search later today and if not I probably have some on my computer I could upload in this thread.

scho

Thanks iiii.

Tony
I still have my 20/1.7 II and it is a body cap for my GX8 backup m43 camera. Works fine on the G9 as well.

GX8 with 20/1.7 II

G9 with 20/1.7 II (high res mode)

Last edited:

AlanS

A lot of my shots from Malta and all of my shots from our Europe bike tour this spring were taken with it, look at my Flickr account (link below). I think it is rather good myself.

Nice shots Alan,

Yes. It is jolly good.

I do like wide angle for holidays. Odd how the newcomers all want a long zoom.

Tony

AlanS

Thanks Tony, I could live with just that lens at a push myself for holidays and walkabout. For landscape my 12-60 swd (4/3rd) hardly comes off the camera and I rarely extend it much past 25mm!

biglouis

Yes. My son and his birthday cake, this year. G9+20/1.7. The lens is basically a complete rip-off of a Leica Summicron 40/2 imho (well done Panasonic!).