The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Organic Sensor with Global Shutter - Panasonic

iiiNelson

Panasonic just announced the first camcorder with that new organic sensor

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-japan-announces-the-first-8k-camcorder-with-organic-sensor/

Good news for m43 cameras IMHO as this technology will show up pretty soon in these cameras.
The interesting thing is that the global shutter only works at speeds fast than 1/120 of a second. I read an interview with a persona from Fuji not too long ago and they stated that work will continue to develop on the organic sensor for now Fuji isn’t happy with the DR that they’re getting yet when it comes to stills cameras. I think the internal document circulated years ago had a 2021-23 target date for it being implemented into stills cameras but that may not be accurate any longer.

iiiNelson

If organic sensors add something missing though I hope they get the DR issues figured out... and I hope they get readout speed figured out as well before global shutters become the norm. The more I think about it the more it’s apparent there’s no free lunch in technology... the early generation products will likely be a step back in some ways when compared to the current options but with some fast tracking maybe they can iron them all out and get us sensors with at least 13.5 stops of DR. I’m assuming this sensor will be in the 12-13 stop range based on the cues that Fuji gave in that one interview. I’ll try to find it again later on today.