The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First fully functional Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today 43rumors shared the first "real world" image of a new Panasonic 8K camcorder with Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor ...

https://www.43rumors.com/this-is-th...camcorder-with-panasonic-fuji-organic-sensor/

Not only is this a special thing because of the 8K capabilities. The camera uses the first ever organic sensor developed by Panasonic and Fuji!
This prototype camcorder has been show at the broadcast equipment in Chiba City. Panasonic already officially said they will release this camcorder in late 2019. Here are some more details about the sensor:

• Global Shutter (exposes all pixels at the same time and read the data all at once). This will at last kill the distortion caused by rolling shutters.
  • 88 at 60fps
  • Panasonic said the sensor has “high sensitivity” and “wide dynamic range” but did not share exact numbers
  • It has a step less electronic ND filter (Panasonic said it does NOT chabge color balance when using it)
  • Sensor can switch between “high-sensitivity” mode and “high-saturation” mode
Panasonic said inorganic sensor cannot achieve such high sensitivity and wide dynamic range.

iiiNelson

Today 43rumors shared the first "real world" image of a new Panasonic 8K camcorder with Panasonic-Fuji organic sensor ...

https://www.43rumors.com/this-is-th...camcorder-with-panasonic-fuji-organic-sensor/

Not only is this a special thing because of the 8K capabilities. The camera uses the first ever organic sensor developed by Panasonic and Fuji!
This prototype camcorder has been show at the broadcast equipment in Chiba City. Panasonic already officially said they will release this camcorder in late 2019. Here are some more details about the sensor:

• Global Shutter (exposes all pixels at the same time and read the data all at once). This will at last kill the distortion caused by rolling shutters.
  • 88 at 60fps
  • Panasonic said the sensor has “high sensitivity” and “wide dynamic range” but did not share exact numbers
  • It has a step less electronic ND filter (Panasonic said it does NOT chabge color balance when using it)
  • Sensor can switch between “high-sensitivity” mode and “high-saturation” mode
Panasonic said inorganic sensor cannot achieve such high sensitivity and wide dynamic range.
I’m still of the opinion that for MOST, Global shutters aren’t needed as not many people (relatively speaking) are using a camera to the point of the shutters failing. Rolling shutter is a thing no doubt but I don’t know that it realistically affects big productions - there are a lot of Netflix series filmed with non-global shuttered cameras from panasonic, Sony, RED, etc.

Exciting news for sure as this is an advancement in sensor tech but I’m really interested in seeing how DR under sustained shooting is, how well the sensitivity and noise levels hold up, etc. as it applies specifically to still photography as thats90-95% of my own interests.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I’m still of the opinion that for MOST, Global shutters aren’t needed as not many people (relatively speaking) are using a camera to the point of the shutters failing. Rolling shutter is a thing no doubt but I don’t know that it realistically affects big productions - there are a lot of Netflix series filmed with non-global shuttered cameras from panasonic, Sony, RED, etc.

Exciting news for sure as this is an advancement in sensor tech but I’m really interested in seeing how DR under sustained shooting is, how well the sensitivity and noise levels hold up, etc. as it applies specifically to still photography as thats90-95% of my own interests.
Some more info on this sensor here

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-japan-announces-the-first-8k-camcorder-with-organic-sensor/

It promises not only elimination of rolling shutter, but better sensitivity and same time wide DR even at 8k resolution. And it has electronic ND filter function installed as well - so what is not to like!

8K is something around 33MP, so this means if I understand the advertisements right a +33MP sensor for FF - they somewhere mentioned PL-mount.

The interesting part for me is more how such a sensor will look like when it is available for m43 and as Panasonic is heavily involved I can foresee there will be a future m43 camera with such a sensor.

And BTW rolling shutter is really an issue for me, as I am looking forward to a camera without any mechanical shutter and fully working global shutter :thumbs: At least I found the need for it and I am sure I am NOT alone :cool:

iiiNelson

Some more info on this sensor here

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-japan-announces-the-first-8k-camcorder-with-organic-sensor/

It promises not only elimination of rolling shutter, but better sensitivity and same time wide DR even at 8k resolution. And it has electronic ND filter function installed as well - so what is not to like!

8K is something around 33MP, so this means if I understand the advertisements right a +33MP sensor for FF - they somewhere mentioned PL-mount.

The interesting part for me is more how such a sensor will look like when it is available for m43 and as Panasonic is heavily involved I can foresee there will be a future m43 camera with such a sensor.

And BTW rolling shutter is really an issue for me, as I am looking forward to a camera without any mechanical shutter and fully working global shutter :thumbs: At least I found the need for it and I am sure I am NOT alone :cool:
If they mentioned the Arri PL mount then I’d assume this was strictly for the VariCam and not Micro 4/3. This also may be a FF or larger sensor as well in which case it may wind up in the Lumix S as a SH1 or S1H camera down the line. I’m leaning towards that Micro 4/3 will likely too out around 4K and add different frame rates to be able to do native 4K slo-mo.

I’m not against technical advancements (clearly) and faster readout speeds but I wonder if we are really at a point where we can have it all in an “affordable” body right now. I wonder if there will be too many tradeoffs and if there aren’t then I wonder if it’ll be developed at a price that’s suitable for many.

iiiNelson

" Panasonic - Fuji " designed ....
I did read an interview last year around NAB time where Fuji was talking about possibly developing X-mount XDCAM’s to competenalong the lines of the FS5/7, Cinema EOS, Panasonic EVA1, and Blackmagic Ursa type Cameras. They did release some of the least inexpensive near parfocal lenses in X-mount last year as well so perhaps this is another possible application.

PeterA

I did read an interview last year around NAB time where Fuji was talking about possibly developing X-mount XDCAM’s to competenalong the lines of the FS5/7, Cinema EOS, Panasonic EVA1, and Blackmagic Ursa type Cameras. They did release some of the least inexpensive near parfocal lenses in X-mount last year as well so perhaps this is another possible application.
I just think it is intersting how many JV are actually going on in photo land...and yes I am told that the fuji cine lenses are outstandiong value for money - nto my cup o tea though.