The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 150-400 Lens

Knorp

1) The lens has an integrated 1,25x converter
2) The lens has in lens 5 axis stabilization
3) Olympus will also launch a new 2x converter for this lens
I take it that the converters can be swapped out, but what to think of in-lens 5-axis stabilisation ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I suspect that this lens will be sharper than the PL 100-400 mm. Size and price will be interesting. Time will show.

Arne Hvaring

The 5 axis in-lens stabilisation sounds impressive and a little surprising. If it is all done in the lens, perhaps it will work just as well on a Panasonic body? Interesting.

biglouis

To my mind the most important information will be price. Olympus do not produce high quality low priced lenses.

For example, I really envy Nikonians and their very keenly priced 200-500 f5.6 birding lens. The only reason I would never consider one is the weight (but if I was 30 years younger I would own it and pair it with the D500 for which I suspect it is intended).

I suppose you could argue the Lumix 100-400 is comparable but not on price. The Nikon 200-500 is still up to GBP 200-300 cheaper than the Lumix 100-400 (unless you find a grey market source).

Olympus has to go with a wider constant aperture because m43rds cameras are limited by noise at higher iso. This means a more expensive lens. I suspect it will be priced similar to the Lumix 200/2.8, e.g. about GBP 2500-3000 which will push it well out of the range of any but dedicated enthusiasts and professionals.

But you never know... it ain't over until the fat lady tells us the spec and the price.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Of course I don't know the final price, but given that the 4/300 PRO costs around €2500.- in most parts of Europe I would think this 150-400 would come in around or even more than €3000.-

This would be a fair price if you consider it will have a constant aperture (4 or 4.5) and the built in TC. Also build quality of the Olympus PRO lenses is usually exceptional and by no means cheap.

For me the key thing will be how "compact" this lens is and if all zoom is internal like in the 40-150 PRO.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To my mind the most important information will be price. Olympus do not produce high quality low priced lenses.

For example, I really envy Nikonians and their very keenly priced 200-500 f5.6 birding lens. The only reason I would never consider one is the weight (but if I was 30 years younger I would own it and pair it with the D500 for which I suspect it is intended).

I suppose you could argue the Lumix 100-400 is comparable but not on price. The Nikon 200-500 is still up to GBP 200-300 cheaper than the Lumix 100-400 (unless you find a grey market source).

Olympus has to go with a wider constant aperture because m43rds cameras are limited by noise at higher iso. This means a more expensive lens. I suspect it will be priced similar to the Lumix 200/2.8, e.g. about GBP 2500-3000 which will push it well out of the range of any but dedicated enthusiasts and professionals.

But you never know... it ain't over until the fat lady tells us the spec and the price.

LouisB
I had the Nikkor 200-500 and while it's a bargain, it's not only heavy, but also very large. Build quality also seems cheap, although I didn't have any problems with mine. I expect the Zuiko to be much more solidly built. Internal zooming would be great, and make it a total no-brainer for me, but I don't hold my breath.

Knorp

Me ? I expect no less than excellent performance between 150-300 and exceptional performance between 300-400 and given its built-in TC and in-lens 5-axis stabilisation an astronomical price ... :watch:

henningw

Unfortunately, I feel that the price might be $7-8000 US or even $10,000. Look at Canon and Nikon zooms that go to 400mm at f/4. At the same actual focal lengths and apertures, there is no advantage to m43. Also, with 400mm at f/4, front element size has to be 100mm. It will be huge, heavy and probably way too expensive for me. A fixed focal length lens, say 400/4.5 with diffractive optics might be manageable both in size and price, but not this I believe.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, I feel that the price might be $7-8000 US or even $10,000. Look at Canon and Nikon zooms that go to 400mm at f/4. At the same actual focal lengths and apertures, there is no advantage to m43. Also, with 400mm at f/4, front element size has to be 100mm. It will be huge, heavy and probably way too expensive for me. A fixed focal length lens, say 400/4.5 with diffractive optics might be manageable both in size and price, but not this I believe.
I haven't calculated the front element size of a 150-400mm f/4 for m4/3, but:

The Zuiko 300mm f/4 has a 77mm filter thread and costs $2,500.
The Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 (full frame) has a 92mm filter thread and costs $1,400

My guess is $3,500-4,000 and 82mm. I would be surprised if it's f/4. f/4.5 would make more sense to make it more compact. A third of a stop doesn't count for much when it comes to real life anyway. I mostly shoot my Panasonic 100-300mm at f/8 for optimal sharpness, so even f/5.6 would be a major improvement for me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I haven't calculated the front element size of a 150-400mm f/4 for m4/3, but:

The Zuiko 300mm f/4 has a 77mm filter thread and costs $2,500.
The Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 (full frame) has a 92mm filter thread and costs $1,400

My guess is $3,500-4,000 and 82mm. I would be surprised if it's f/4. f/4.5 would make more sense to make it more compact. A third of a stop doesn't count for much when it comes to real life anyway. I mostly shoot my Panasonic 100-300mm at f/8 for optimal sharpness, so even f/5.6 would be a major improvement for me.
I quite agree, a f/4 although nice would not make much sense as it would actually be the same aperture as on their 4/300 PRO - that would kind of cannibalise sales of this lens I think.

From what I see of the pictures leaked it seems to be very similar in construction like the 2.8/40-150, just a bit larger. And a constant f/4.5 would already be a huge advantage and something you cannot get elsewhere on the market.

WRT prize I would say north of $3,000 - at least I hope not north of $4,000.-

Last edited:

henningw

I quite agree, a f/4 although nice would not make much sense as it would actually be the same aperture as on their 4/300 PRO - that would kind of cannibalise sales of this lens I think.

From what I see of the pictures leaked it seems to be very similar in construction like the 2.8/40-150, just a bit larger. And a constant f/4.5 would already be a huge advantage and something you cannot get elsewhere on the market.

WRT prize I would say north of $3,000 - at least I hope not north of $4,000.-
A 400/4 needs an entrance pupil of 100mm; doesn't matter what format. A front filter would therefore have a minimum size of 105mm. A f/4.5 lens would still need an 89mm front element, and at minimum a 95mm filter. If this is a Pro lens with associated quality and build, putting it in the same ballpark as the Nikon and Canon zooms as far as size and weight go seems reasonable to me. As for price??? I can't see it being a whole lot less unless they cut corners. They didn't on the 300/4, and look at that compared with the Nikon and Canon 300's, both with regard to size and price.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I came to the conclusion that this will most definitely be NOT the lens for me!

1) I think it will be big, heavy and EXPENSIVE
2) I was looking for a 100-400 alternative - I always wanted a kind of 50-200(250)/F4 period. That would have been so easy! Now maybe such a lens will come but it is only in the planning stage as there are 2 more telephoto PRO lenses shown for the lens roadmap
3) The EM1X will most likely not be my camera - I will stay with the EM1.2 before I decide what to do!

Have waited for Olympus to catch up already too long now and see a lot of alternatives from Nikon and Sony that are far more attractive for my needs. And maybe even Panasonic FF might become an alternative with native Panasonic or Sigma L-lenses.

Why Olympus ????? I got really too tired of waiting :banghead:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What did you guys expect? There is a full frame alternative to this lens, the Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6. It's more than half a metre long and weighs almost 6 kg. Oh... and it costs $8,000.

The Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6 on a D500 would also be comparable. It's well over 2 kg, it extends, is made of plastic and takes up half of any camera bag.

My guess is that this one will be around $5,000 and 2 kg too, but it will be in anothr league when it comes to build quality and functionality.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What did you guys expect? There is a full frame alternative to this lens, the Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6. It's more than half a metre long and weighs almost 6 kg. Oh... and it costs $8,000.

The Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6 on a D500 would also be comparable. It's well over 2 kg, it extends, is made of plastic and takes up half of any camera bag.

My guess is that this one will be around $5,000 and 2 kg too, but it will be in anothr league when it comes to build quality and functionality.
If it is only $5000.- that would be already a deal :D