Site Sponsors

Thread: PanLeica 25mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PanLeica 25mm

I just bought this lens. Please tell me I did the right thing before I open it. I've been wanting it... Arg! So excited to try it! (and scared to open it)
    Charles - flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PanLeica 25mm

Some of the best 4/3 the images I've seen have been produced by this lens so I think it's safe to use.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Charles,

you should know there are no guarantees... I had that lens and sold it with no regret. Too big and clumsy - sort of the opposite to what 4/3 and 4/3 is about.
    But it is a cool lens with good contrast and resolution at f/1.4 - so if that is what you wanted it for you should keep it.

Hey, consider the money you shelled out as a rental fee. Use the lens for some time and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, well, then you can sell it without losing a lot of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles, I second what Jonas wrote. I had the lens with a digilux 3 and loved the images it produced. For the money, it really is a bargain, especially when compared to a comparable M lux lens of similar FL. But the lens is indeed very bulky and heavy. With the hood it becomes ridiculous. I always used it without the hood and didn't have too many problems with flare.

I only sold it because I got out of the 4/3 system. If I still had a 4/3 body, I would certainly have kept it. You sure won't lose much if you ever decide to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did finally open it and go out shooting it some tonight. I don't have time to look through the images tonight, but it looks very sharp and the bokeh is excellent after the kit lenses. The speed is an eye opener. I can take pictures (assuming it focuses) where I never could have before. On the other hand even at ISO 1600 with f1.4 it can't perform miracles. I can understand now why people do really like the high ISO performance of the D700. Granted, the bar I was in and the streets I were on were very dark.

It is heavy and bulky, especially compared to the Nikon 50mm/1.4. I'd be thrilled if Oly released a similar lens at half the weight, but we'll see. The other route I was looking at was the D300 or D700, but the weight turned me off. Either so-so consumer lenses or heavy pro lenses. Oly's pro line are just something no else has really been able to touch. Part of the reason I did pick it up was that I knew I could sell it again with minimal loss. I think I'm pretty happy with the DoF that 4/3s can get.

I'm really excited to get my first non-kit lens! It's been great shooting it and I'm looking forward to using it a lot more in the next few weeks. I'm off to bed for tonight.
    Charles - flickr

Ranger 9

On what camera are you using your new lens? I'm eyeing it for use via adapter with my Panasonic G1 (I use a Canon 50/0.95 on that camera fairly often, so obviously I'm not put off by size and weight!) but wonder about its AF performance, since it wasn't designed for contrast-detect AF.

Post Thanks / Like

The auto focus works as well as the kit lens. I had two copies of the Panasonic/Leica 25. I sold the first copy because it was not very sharp with my e420 body. I bought another copy for my G1 and I am keeping it. It is sharp wide open at 1.4. The AF has no problem focusing with the panasonic adapter on the G1. I couldn't do any better manual focus.
    Last edited by HansenTsang; 27th May 2009 at 17:28.