The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PanLeica 25mm

cjlacz

I just bought this lens. Please tell me I did the right thing before I open it. I've been wanting it... Arg! So excited to try it! (and scared to open it)

iiiNelson

Some of the best 4/3 the images I've seen have been produced by this lens so I think it's safe to use.

Jonas

Charles,

you should know there are no guarantees... I had that lens and sold it with no regret. Too big and clumsy - sort of the opposite to what 4/3 and µ4/3 is about.
But it is a cool lens with good contrast and resolution at f/1.4 - so if that is what you wanted it for you should keep it.

Hey, consider the money you shelled out as a rental fee. Use the lens for some time and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, well, then you can sell it without losing a lot of money.

markwon

Charles, I second what Jonas wrote. I had the lens with a digilux 3 and loved the images it produced. For the money, it really is a bargain, especially when compared to a comparable M lux lens of similar FL. But the lens is indeed very bulky and heavy. With the hood it becomes ridiculous. I always used it without the hood and didn't have too many problems with flare.

I only sold it because I got out of the 4/3 system. If I still had a 4/3 body, I would certainly have kept it. You sure won't lose much if you ever decide to sell it.

cjlacz

I did finally open it and go out shooting it some tonight. I don't have time to look through the images tonight, but it looks very sharp and the bokeh is excellent after the kit lenses. The speed is an eye opener. I can take pictures (assuming it focuses) where I never could have before. On the other hand even at ISO 1600 with f1.4 it can't perform miracles. I can understand now why people do really like the high ISO performance of the D700. Granted, the bar I was in and the streets I were on were very dark.

It is heavy and bulky, especially compared to the Nikon 50mm/1.4. I'd be thrilled if Oly released a similar lens at half the weight, but we'll see. The other route I was looking at was the D300 or D700, but the weight turned me off. Either so-so consumer lenses or heavy pro lenses. Oly's pro line are just something no else has really been able to touch. Part of the reason I did pick it up was that I knew I could sell it again with minimal loss. I think I'm pretty happy with the DoF that 4/3s can get.

I'm really excited to get my first non-kit lens! It's been great shooting it and I'm looking forward to using it a lot more in the next few weeks. I'm off to bed for tonight.

R

Ranger 9

On what camera are you using your new lens? I'm eyeing it for use via adapter with my Panasonic G1 (I use a Canon 50/0.95 on that camera fairly often, so obviously I'm not put off by size and weight!) but wonder about its AF performance, since it wasn't designed for contrast-detect AF.

HansenTsang

The auto focus works as well as the kit lens. I had two copies of the Panasonic/Leica 25. I sold the first copy because it was not very sharp with my e420 body. I bought another copy for my G1 and I am keeping it. It is sharp wide open at 1.4. The AF has no problem focusing with the panasonic adapter on the G1. I couldn't do any better manual focus.

Last edited: