The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I so don't understand the new Oly 450

Terry

I really don't understand Oly's strategy. Today they launched the new 450.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09033101olympuse450.asp

Why would you buy this camera over the new 620? I know it will be cheaper but the 620 offers so much more (including image stabalization) and is still only listed at $699 for the body at B&H before launch (so no "street" price yet).

I'm truly confused at why they need so many bodies E450, E620, E30, E3 and it isn't clear what happens to the E520. :confused:

Gheez perhaps some more effort on m4/3 would be of more benefit

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry,

I'm assuming the E-450 will replace the E-420, the smallest DSLR on earth just got refreshed. What's not to get?

I think we must be very close to release of Oly's m4/3rds offering... but the E-System also makes a lot of sense - with each body offering a slightly different capability mix.

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

I have no idea either what the point of this body is. Seems like an absolute waste of development and I'd go for the 620 or a 420 over this which only seems to add the art filters and an improved screen.

It would seem it would make sense to replace both the 520 and the 420 with the 620 to cover the "lower end" 4/3 cameras. I also think they should reduce the body price of the 620 by about $200 personally as it should compete with the Nikon D60 and Canon Rebel. I think the E30 kit should go for about $900 personally as well. I am still trying to figure out the point of the E30 as well. It made so much more sense before the 620 was announced. Either they should have come out with a full on replacement of the E3 or just focus on the m4/3. It just seems like there are too many overlapping products that are mostly minor evolutionary improvements coming from Olympus. There's still much to be seen as none of the products are out yet but I'm skeptical in the marketing strategy as they already seem to be at a disadvantage where availability and product recognition is concerned.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I'm assuming the E-450 will replace the E-420, the smallest DSLR on earth just got refreshed. What's not to get?

I think we must be very close to release of Oly's m4/3rds offering... but the E-System also makes a lot of sense - with each body offering a slightly different capability mix.

Kind Regards

Brian
OK so who would you recommend the E450 vs the E620?

The E450 right now with double kit lens (the only way to buy) is the same price as the E620 body or the E620 is $200 more with 2 lens kit (US pricing). The 620 offers better screen, IS, build quality, AF just to name a few.....

Brian Mosley

The main confusion seems to be the release price - the market will take care of that... give it a while for things to settle down and I'm sure it will all make sense.

The E-450 will be the cheapest entry point to 4/3rds. It's fairly simple. Obviously we can see the value of the E-620, but it's still more expensive than the E-420.

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

The main confusion seems to be the release price - the market will take care of that... give it a while for things to settle down and I'm sure it will all make sense.

The E-450 will be the cheapest entry point to 4/3rds. It's fairly simple. Obviously we can see the value of the E-620, but it's still more expensive than the E-420.

Kind Regards

Brian
That's possible but until all the E420's kits are phased out I don't see the point of "re-introduction" of basically the same body. It would "artificially" just keep the price of the E620 higher which is good on one hand but bad in other aspects IMO. I think the 620 will already cannibalize many potential E30 sales so I'm not understanding the purpose of so many presumably overlapping body designs. I would think Olympus would rush to get a m4/3 body on the market from all the Panasonic buzz. Just my opinion again though.

Diane B

I was curious about Terry's post so I checked the Oly SLR forum elsewhere. If I understand it, it appears to be an 'additional' model which will be sold on QVC exclusively for several months before being available elsewhere. I suspect that's often done with various mfg. of different things--creating additional models with just a slight difference to be offered on buying channels. But--then what happens to it? I'm not an Oly person so don't care too much, except I'm hoping for some m4/3rds lenses so don't wish Oly anything bad--seems they are surely spreading themselves thin---and perhaps in the wrong directions.

Diane

jonoslack

Oh! I thought it was simple.

The E420 has been around for a while - give it a new model number and when a guy goes into the store, instead of saying 'it's been out for two years', he can say 'latest model'

I'm quite certain that the E420 and the E520 are not being made any longer, but they've learned their lesson about 'discontinuing' something until you've sold all your inventory.

E450, E620, E30 and E3 . . . looks like a good lineup, except that they need to bring out an E4!

iiiNelson

E450, E620, E30 and E3 . . . looks like a good lineup, except that they need to bring out an E4!
I would tend to agree with this except for the overlap especially after the Micro 4/3 body(ies) are released. I mean where would they fit in? I can see the 620 covering all of the common man's needs. I can see (to an extent) how the E30 covering a stopgap until the E4 (or whatever it'll be called) is released. The E3 still has the weather sealing advantages over every other model. I would like to see Olympus' rationale or roadmap to the new offerings.

Bernard

What's not to get? Olympus probably couldn't get some of the E420 components anymore (screen, processing chip), so they upgraded them and called it an E450. The E420 will be officially discontinued once it's been cleared from the sales channels, but I doubt they've made any since before the E30 came out.

Modern cameras have to be made in batches. It's a lot cheaper to make 70,000 chips in one go than to make 100 a day for two years. The flip side to this is that they can't easily make "just a few more" if they run out.

I guess the good news for Olympus is that they see enough demand to make another run of the E420 before they release an "all new" model (which will probably be an E620 minus a few features).

Terry

What's not to get? Olympus probably couldn't get some of the E420 components anymore (screen, processing chip), so they upgraded them and called it an E450. The E420 will be officially discontinued once it's been cleared from the sales channels, but I doubt they've made any since before the E30 came out.

Modern cameras have to be made in batches. It's a lot cheaper to make 70,000 chips in one go than to make 100 a day for two years. The flip side to this is that they can't easily make "just a few more" if they run out.

I guess the good news for Olympus is that they see enough demand to make another run of the E420 before they release an "all new" model (which will probably be an E620 minus a few features).
Perhaps there has been demand for the 4xx series but how does that demand change with the much more capable 620 coming on line (which is closer in size to the 4xx than the 5xx.

Is the 5xx dead?

Brian Mosley

LOL, Terry - again... as with the E-420 which many people said must be dead, the market will decide. If Olympus sell out of E-520's and there's still a strong enough demand, there will be an E-550 (or whatever they'll call it!).

The E-620 is another model in the E-*System* that's all... a great upgrade from the E-420 or E-520 owner who doesn't want the extra size of the E-30 or the weathersealed, bombproof construction of the E-3.

It's all good... I've just taken a look at this first couple of samples from the E-450 and I think it's looking *very good* indeed!

Kind Regards

Brian

wolverine

So the concept is better sensor but no more megapixels? Which can work, but soon mp will matter. I am happy with 12 mp's but 20 sure shows a lot of detail. Is oly going to be able to get there? I love the G1 with leica lenses. Can't wait for what oly will produce in m4/3. The M8 at 10 mp is wonderful. But soon this size will be museum pieces. Thoughts? Thanks, Frank

iiiNelson

I'm of the opinion that MP isn't everything and 10-12 MP is great for just about anyone's personal needs. I would agree that the E4 (or whatever they call it) would "need" to have improved dynamic range, a larger pixel count (maybe in the 15-20 MP range) and a more advanced 4/3 sensor to further differentiate it from the other models and to compete more with the Pro and Semi-pro bodies of Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.

pentacon6

First of all, don't be too serious on why Olympus make such a decision. We used to the "new" model with some tiny upgrade feature comparing with the previous model. No doubt, this is another marketing concern because if Olympus stops pushing out new stuff, her market share may shrink since what the potential consumer's concern is why I have to pay for an one year old model (E420)? If Olympus just left E420 behind and keep it always as the entry level model, she may lose this segment to other such as N, C, S when they are all upgraded. It is pity but unavoidable.

But what I am not comfortable about is the image stabilization system does not exist in E450. Of course, this is made to diversify the entry and high level market from E620. However, when the entry level camera such as Pentax K-m also equipped with a sensor shift stabilizer, it makes E450 taste sour. That's the biggest problem of how the consumer see it in the edge to edge comparison.

iiiNelson

First of all, don't be too serious on why Olympus make such a decision. We used to the "new" model with some tiny upgrade feature comparing with the previous model. No doubt, this is another marketing concern because if Olympus stops pushing out new stuff, her market share may shrink since what the potential consumer's concern is why I have to pay for an one year old model (E420)? If Olympus just left E420 behind and keep it always as the entry level model, she may lose this segment to other such as N, C, S when they are all upgraded. It is pity but unavoidable.

But what I am not comfortable about is the image stabilization system does not exist in E450. Of course, this is made to diversify the entry and high level market from E620. However, when the entry level camera such as Pentax K-m also equipped with a sensor shift stabilizer, it makes E450 taste sour. That's the biggest problem of how the consumer see it in the edge to edge comparison.
That's the inherent problem many people are trying to figure out. It's pretty much the same model as the 420 and if they added IS then what would be the point of the 620? I mean the E620 would have a newer sensor and articulating screen but it's already designed as a full featured mass market product so why have 2 overlapping products so close to each other - especially as the E620 is supposedly closer in size to the E420 than the E520. If they are only selling it through the QVC channel then I understand it a bit more as it wouldn't be on the store shelves with the E620 and E30.

cjlacz

I think Oly is reworking their product line and there is going to be some confusion until that's sorted out. I'm not quite sure why it's only on QVC to begin with, but I think the art filters are important. They are pushing the artistic points of their two newest cameras and new users would probably some of the ones most interested in them. It would be strange for their entry cameras not to have them. We probably won't see their new line up until the successor to the E3 is released. I have read some comments the past few days of E-30 prices starting to come down. Have to wait for that too.

It will be interesting to see where they place m4/3s though. Unfortunately there is no upgrade path from m4/3s->4/3s so they'll need to maintain an entry level camera. Maybe the different model numbers can allow them to sell on QVC for a higher price? Or at least call it an exclusive.

iiiNelson

HiredArm - you and I appear to be on the same wavelength....
It appears so and I guess I'm just curious as to what they are working towards for the company. I really like Olympus products a lot although I don't own any at this time. Ideally (in my mind) They would have a lower end m4/3 ($500 kit)to replace the 420/520, then the E620($700 kit), a higher end m4/3 with weather sealing would slot next($800 kit), followed by the E30 ($900 kit) and E3 replacement ($1300 kit.) That line up would make sense in my mind but for it to be cost effective the E620 and E30 kit would need to be reduced in price a bit to be more competitive.

I agree the art filters do make a lot more sense for the consumer cameras than in the E30 but It's not a bad feature. I don't know how many pros would actually use the features for paid work but I could see them being used for family outings and general photography.