The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR using standard sensor on e-m5 mk and r72 filter

Thought I might give this a try as my New Year challenge.

I meant mk 2 of course. More haste, less accuracy!!

Has anyone around here produced tolerable results?

I'd shoot RAW and convert in Qimage - but the first step is to establish whether I'd be wasting my time and money buying the r72 Hoya.

Tony
London UK

V

Vivek

You will get an image but that would be from red leaks from the R72.

Get a camera converted to "full spectrum" or IR if you want real near IR captures.

Besides, most Panasonic (and likely Olympus) m43 lenses are real poor performers in IR.

Shashin

I would get a filter that does not pass visible red, like the B&W 093. I have done IR and a filter with an EP-1. I do most of my IR now with an unconverted Fuji mirrorless. I would do some searches to find out what lenses work well with IR on your Olympus. But simply buying a filter is the first step and will give you an idea about that type of photography. It is certainly possible.

V

Vivek

Make sure you can return the IR filter for refunds if planning to use it on a stock camera.

leuallen

In my opinion filters are a bad idea. Loose so much light it is difficult to see EVF and require tripod because shutter speeds are too slow. And they are expensive, the one recommended above is about $100.

I have had a couple of cameras converted to 720mm. I am not interested in false color, only black and white. Camera handles like it is non-converted with respect to shutter speed, hand held is easy. Almost any old m43 camera will do for conversion. I started with a Pan G1 12mp. It worked great. There will be a lot of grain, it is in the nature of IR and part of the charm. I remember shooting 4x5 IR 40 or so years ago, it was grainy.

So if you have an old camera or can pick one up cheap, conversion is the route to go.

mkchan99

I am not a native English speaker, please forgive my broken writing, but I am a long time viewer in this forum. Anyway, regarding the IR on m43, I would like to share a bit of my experience. I did a "full spectrum” conversion on my Olympus epm2 2 years ago. I would say I have a lot of fun with the conversion. With the conversion, I just place a IR filter at the front of the lens (720 or 850nm), and it behave like a normal camera. Plus, Panasonic 14mm, it is very small, so that, I can add it into my normal camera bag and don’t feel any weight added. I don’t think I am expert on IR, but I do think IR is fun. Especially in B&W. Here are some photos of 720nm and 850nm

Attachments

Those images are lovely MK.

I know one could never get that far with just a filter and you have tempted me.

How much did the conversion cost in CA?

Tony

mkchan99

I used to just use a filter on a manual focus lens and tripod. Since the normal focus is shift in IR, that make things complicated. If convert it into full spectrum IR, everything make simple. The auto focus will become noraml/corrected in IR, and you can try out many different IR filters as you like. Since you don't know which IR you like yet, you can just buy some Chinese make IR filters until you find which spectrum you like, then you can invest a good filters. In my case, I still using all Chinese make filters, I think they are good enough for fun. I currently have 550, 720, 850 and 950nm. They are all different. I did my IR convert at eBay service around $250, i couldn't find the link now. Here is a link below, this site got a good list of conversion services and IR info for beginner.

https://robertreiser.photography/infrared-camera-conversion-service/

IR-infrared-focus-marks2.jpgIR-infrared-focus-marks2.jpg