The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WOW! Sharp mFT 8K video

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is very surprising to say the least. If it's really a 4/3 sensor, it's more than 40 MP. It could be a dedicated 16:9 sensor of course, which would be 33 MP. That would make it an interesting camera for stills as well.

However, although Sharp already makes an 8K camera, the Sharp 8C-B60A that shoots 8K 60p, that model is $77,000 and Super 35 (APS-H more or less), so a larger sensor. In addition, the bit rate and processing power needed for this kind of resolution is considerable, although H.265 is a very efficient codex. The next challenge is cooling. With a small body like this, it's difficult to believe that they can get away with passive cooling, so I assume there is some kind of forced ventilation. We'll see.

Are you sure it isn't 1 April today?

hot

It remembers to my Samsung GC100 (from 2012) with 21x Zoom, 4.8" touch screen,
Android, SIM, microSD ... video of course only fullHD, photo 4608x3456

hot

Samsung GC100 is availabel for 229€
https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Megap...=Samsung+Galaxy+Kamera&th=1&tag=webcom0511-21
case for it you can get from China (7€)

I think 8K is not the "end". I made a video 8160 x 6120 / 60fps :).
PC worked and worked ... some minutes - my PC is 5 years old and
has only 4 GB RAM.

My 4K monitor and 4K can show this video, but shrinked to 4K.
(timelapse) video made with my 231€ camera mFT Yi M1 + 12-40mm

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This camera should (as expected) have a 32-36MP m43 sensor that is needed for 8k resolution ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GiuNM__Fbg

This is exactly great news for m43 as we can expect to see some other vendors bringing >30MP m43 cameras (still and video) over the next years.

Very exciting!
Actually, if it's going to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio for photography and be able to capture 8K video, it must be 44 MP (7680*((7680/4)*3)). Even if going to 3:2 for photography, 39 MP is needed. None of this changes the pixel density though. An oversized sensor, like in the GH5s, will give a somewhat lower pixel density and a lower MP counts in photography mode.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually, if it's going to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio for photography and be able to capture 8K video, it must be 44 MP (7680*((7680/4)*3)). Even if going to 3:2 for photography, 39 MP is needed. None of this changes the pixel density though. An oversized sensor, like in the GH5s, will give a somewhat lower pixel density and a lower MP counts in photography mode.
However you see and count this, it means a significant increase in resolution for m43 sensors :thumbup:

I hope that high ISO performance and DR will be useable :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hope that high ISO performance and DR will be useable :cool:
For stills, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since photos can always be scaled down. For 8K however, I doubt that low light capabilities would be particularly good at the current state of technology. That however is a small problem compared to the computer power needed for post processing. We are talking minimum 24 33MP images per second, four times as much data as for 4K.

For many purposes, the high resolution will be more of a distraction, quite literally, than a step forward. The high amount of detail is much more than the human brain can process and will detract from the experience of movies etc. This will look great for sports events and Red Bull sponsored daredevils jumping out of airplanes and moon rockets, but will add little to the art of film and documentary making.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For stills, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since photos can always be scaled down. For 8K however, I doubt that low light capabilities would be particularly good at the current state of technology. That however is a small problem compared to the computer power needed for post processing. We are talking minimum 24 33MP images per second, four times as much data as for 4K.

For many purposes, the high resolution will be more of a distraction, quite literally, than a step forward. The high amount of detail is much more than the human brain can process and will detract from the experience of movies etc. This will look great for sports events and Red Bull sponsored daredevils jumping out of airplanes and moon rockets, but will add little to the art of film and documentary making.
I agree with almost everything, but I think this will not stop 8k from getting widely spread in a few years - same as it was with 4k.

For my personal needs and wishes I think I will be more than happy with good 4k - high quality and good slow motion - 60 or 120 fps.

But for me also the still images advantage (higher resolution for m43) would be a big plus when I could shoot around 36MP with same high ISO and DR without going FF - at least there is hope!