Site Sponsors

Thread: Question re the 20mm f1.7 Pancake

Post Thanks / Like

Question re the 20mm f1.7 Pancake

Does anyone know if the pancake will have a distance scale on it? As much as I would love to have this lens, if it doesn't, I'm going to pass and look for an alternative. I find that manual focusing with the G1's kit lenses is awkward as I never know which way to turn the focus ring... there's no infinity stop. Because of this, it's a slow process.

If the pancake is the same design, I think I'd rather look for a fast ~20mm M-mount lens (possibly the Zeiss 21 2.8 as I simply can't afford Leica). At least then I know where I am and I can easily set up for critical focusing a lot faster. I currently have the CV 21mm f4, but it's really too slow for what I need.

I know the lens won't be available until the fall (or at least this is what I hear), but I wondered if anyone had seen anything on this topic.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question re the 20mm f1.7 Pancake

There's a photo of it here--and elsewhere--but couldn't find the others--doesn't look so from this view.
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_..._G1/index.html

Here it is mounted http://www.seriouscompacts.com/2008/...sph-photo.html

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question re the 20mm f1.7 Pancake

Thanks Diane, that's what I expected. Oh well, I guess I'm going to look for alternatives. I really don't care for the turn-forever rings on the Panny lenses! You just can't scale focus either.

Ciao,