The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 12-200mm 3.5-6.3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/olymp...XwxjXUcYZMWPy4UaAhDYEALw_wcB#product-tab-spec 12-200

Who is this product aimed at (other than those who like spending $50 on an optional lens hood)?
People like me probably, who like to do walkaround photography with long lenses but sometimes needs a shorter one. Currently, I often carry two bodies, one with the 100-300 and one with a shorter lens, anything from 12 to 45 mm. If this lens is sharp enough at f/8, it may well be an interesting lens for me as a walkaround lens.

I downloaded some of the RAW files from dpr to make an evaluation. Unfortunately, all shots longer than 100 mm at dpreview have been done wide open, so it's impossible to know if there's any potential there. Corner sharpness at 12 mm is surprisingly good though, particularly after adding only minor USM (90/0.5/0).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When working on these files, which came from an E-M1 II, I remembered one of the reasons why I sold the E-M1:
I clearly prefer to work with the Panasonic files. It might be because I've used Panasonic cameras for 10 years, and know the limitations of the files better, but to me, the Panasonic files seem to have more headroom for correction than the ones from Olympus.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/olymp...XwxjXUcYZMWPy4UaAhDYEALw_wcB#product-tab-spec 12-200

Who is this product aimed at (other than those who like spending $50 on an optional lens hood)?
I have stopped buying (trying) these types of super zooms some years ago. The maximum I could see myself leaning out of the window nowadays is the 4/12-100 PRO lens, although I doubt that I will be happy with the sow aperture. I rather prefer my 12-40 and 40-150 PRO combo as I have at least 2.8 maximum aperture. That already is kind of the limit for me considering I am working with m43 - worse high ISO performance and longest useable shutter speeds. I cannot hear any longer the argument of gaining 7.x stops or whatever by IBIS and IS - this works only for a very limited type of photography!

So short answer - this lens is definitely NOT FOR ME!