The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G90... very promissing

At least with hat introduction and the new m43 alliance member Sharp the future for m43 looks not so black anymore :thumbup:
I didn't realize that the camera market needed another m43 manufacturer. Market share isn't growing so Sharp is going to have to take what it can get from an ever shrinking pie. I don't get it. How long is it going to take them to develop a lens line. And is Sharp even a credible brand for cameras and lenses? Olympus has a history and Panasonic has the Leica connection. Sharp has what? TVs and microwaves?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I didn't realize that the camera market needed another m43 manufacturer. Market share isn't growing so Sharp is going to have to take what it can get from an ever shrinking pie. I don't get it. How long is it going to take them to develop a lens line. And is Sharp even a credible brand for cameras and lenses? Olympus has a history and Panasonic has the Leica connection. Sharp has what? TVs and microwaves?
Sharp doesn't need to develop a single lens. That's the advantage with MFT. There are lots of lenses available from Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma etc. already.

Sharp isn't entirely new to cameras. They launched their first professional 8K camera in 2017, and it shoots 8K 60p! It's also a bit expensive at $77,000:

Sharp Announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5511724686/sharp-s-new-8k-camera-is-77-000

Panasonic also makes TVs and microwaves btw., and refrigerators and air-cons and, and...

Thre are btw. much more suppliers of MFT cameras than most people realise. In Addition to Olympus and Panasonic, Blackmagic and Sharp are also members of the consortium. In addition JCL, DJI, Z Cam and a few smaller manufacturers make cameras with MFT mount, some of them with full electronic compatibility.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Sharp doesn't need to develop a single lens. That's the advantage with MFT. There are lots of lenses available from Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma etc. already.

Sharp isn't entirely new to cameras. They launched their first professional 8K camera in 2017, and it shoots 8K 60p! It's also a bit expensive at $77,000:

Sharp Announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5511724686/sharp-s-new-8k-camera-is-77-000

Panasonic also makes TVs and microwaves btw., and refrigerators and air-cons and, and...

Thre are btw. much more suppliers of MFT cameras than most people realise. In Addition to Olympus and Panasonic, Blackmagic and Sharp are also members of the consortium. In addition JCL, DJI, Z Cam and a few smaller manufacturers make cameras with MFT mount, some of them with full electronic compatibility.
I agree and if their camera functions as advertised then it’ll be a niche hit. I doubt they’re going for high volume with their 8k video camera as it’s supposed to cost ~$5k but it’ll get some looks from many.

I never understood the negativity that some have towards electronics conglomerates that enter the camera space. Comes across as misplaced elitism. It’s within their technical wheelhouse and as we can see the Sony and Panasonic’s of the world have some class leading options. It can be legitimately argued that they’re doing more to push the camera industry than the traditional brands overall.

drofnad

The hunt for "the bee's knees" is still on. The E-M1X would be nice of course, but it's expensive. I did buy the G85 a couple of years ago, and was very happy with the performance compared to the GX8 of which I have two (better shutter, better IS, better grip, somewhat better video),
I THINK that the bold praise refers to the G80/85, not the GX8. (I recall you replied to me that details from then new 20mpx ~= the 16mpx & no AA filter.)

A few of my friends now use G85 bodies very successfully due to my advice, not because I'm a good advisor, but because it's a very good camera, and very simple to use.
A discouraging thing IMO has been so much marketing of the camera as a kit w/12-60<normal> and body-only offers not frequent nor too temptingly cheap. But some of the applause of the new comes from those seeking the "old" --rendered sooo useless in comparison ;) -- at now cheaper prices ("When you please don't throw me into that briar patch, please don't throw that old useless gear to me, too!")

-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I THINK that the bold praise refers to the G80/85, not the GX8. (I recall you replied to me that details from then new 20mpx ~= the 16mpx & no AA filter.)

A discouraging thing IMO has been so much marketing of the camera as a kit w/12-60<normal> and body-only offers not frequent nor too temptingly cheap. But some of the applause of the new comes from those seeking the "old" --rendered sooo useless in comparison ;) -- at now cheaper prices ("When you please don't throw me into that briar patch, please don't throw that old useless gear to me, too!")

-d.
That's right. The G85 improved on the GX8 in many ways. The G95 has improved in areas where the G85 was inferior to the GX8, like better viewfinder, a more "physical" user interface. In addition, the image quality is probably better than that of the GX8, and the video options are way superior.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The autofocus face tracking seems to be a good deal more accurate than the GH5 in holding focus. It’s probably using a similar algorithm to the S1/S1R so perhaps these improvements can come to the GH5/G9/GH5s in time.
... not to speak about the GH6, which will hopefully unite the G9 and the GH5 in one body.

iiiNelson

... not to speak about the GH6, which will hopefully unite the G9 and the GH5 in one body.
I certainly hope not.

There’s room for both and frankly they can get rid of a lot of the lower end models by consolidating them. I feel like they all blend together and perhaps they can continue the GH5 as the lower end model once a GH6 is released. No need to spend money developing a stripped down version when they can continue to produce the previous flagship as a lower end model.

They need a higher end dedicated photo option and a dedicated video one IMO. I actually hope that they make the G9 successor more like the LUMIX S cameras in body style ergonomically but slightly smaller.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I certainly hope not.

There’s room for both and frankly they can get rid of a lot of the lower end models by consolidating them. I feel like they all blend together and perhaps they can continue the GH5 as the lower end model once a GH6 is released. No need to spend money developing a stripped down version when they can continue to produce the previous flagship as a lower end model.

They need a higher end dedicated photo option and a dedicated video one IMO. I actually hope that they make the G9 successor more like the LUMIX S cameras in body style ergonomically but slightly smaller.
The problem with the two bodies for me is that I really need both functionalities, also when travelling, and a G9 plus a GH5 or GH5s starts to get big. The alternative for me could then be to buy a more compact solution for high quality video, like the Z Cam E2, using a phone as viewfinder. But then I'm moving out of the Panasonic world, and the next question would then be if the G9 is what I need for photography.

I think they'll launch a hybrid GH6 and a GH6s dedicated for video, but time will show.

iiiNelson

The problem with the two bodies for me is that I really need both functionalities, also when travelling, and a G9 plus a GH5 or GH5s starts to get big. The alternative for me could then be to buy a more compact solution for high quality video, like the Z Cam E2, using a phone as viewfinder. But then I'm moving out of the Panasonic world, and the next question would then be if the G9 is what I need for photography.

I think they'll launch a hybrid GH6 and a GH6s dedicated for video, but time will show.
I guess the question is what video features do you need in the GH line that aren’t present in the G line? Are you willing to accept slower AF speed of the GH line? I thought you did more photography than video and if you aren’t heavily grading your video I don’t know that there's a huge difference between 8-bit and 10-bit video for most people.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I guess the question is what video features do you need in the GH line that aren’t present in the G line? Are you willing to accept slower AF speed of the GH line? I thought you did more photography than video and if you aren’t heavily grading your video I don’t know that there's a huge difference between 8-bit and 10-bit video for most people.
To be honest, I need a GH5s more than a GH5, since most of my commercial video is low light, industrial. The higher frame rate for slo-mo of the GH5s would also be useful, as would V-log (if I ever get some spare time to do serious post processing). So ideally, I should consider a G9 plus a GH5s.

I'm still aiming not to buy any new body until the end of the year, so there's time :)

iiiNelson

To be honest, I need a GH5s more than a GH5, since most of my commercial video is low light, industrial. The higher frame rate for slo-mo of the GH5s would also be useful, as would V-log (if I ever get some spare time to do serious post processing). So ideally, I should consider a G9 plus a GH5s.

I'm still aiming not to buy any new body until the end of the year, so there's time :)
If you’re considering the GH5s then maybe you should have a closer look at the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K (BMPCC4k). It’s probably better spec’d, comes with pro level software you need to make the most of it, and performs a bit better at high ISO while still utilizing your same lenses. The menu is also not as deep and is arguably more simple to use than even Leica cameras (since you’re sensitive to cameras with deeper menus).

I’ve kinda gotten to the opinion that for many a dedicated tool is likely a better option than a compromised solution of quality is of the utmost importance. I think a lot of people are frustrated with the LUMIX S cameras (due to not doing their own research) in that it isn’t a FF GH5 but it was never meant to be... and even still a GH5 is a compromise to a dedicated video camera IMO. For creating Youtube videos, music videos, and/or low production indie films a hybrid camera is fine but they’ll always have a priority on photography based ergonomics and usage. BMPCC4k is designed to be tied to a tripod or gimbal with the occasional handheld use. If video is a priority then I’d recommend it and there’s even a external grip coming in late summer than allows one to use two Sony L-Mount batteries for extended recording plus you can already record directly to a hard drive over USB3 (in addition to CFAST2). Maybe it’s just me but for video specifically, it’s likely a better solution for your video needs plus there’s Blackmagic RAW too now as of a few weeks ago.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Blackmagic is a great alternative and cheap. Unfortunately, It's also big. Another one is of course the Z Cam E2. With a half cage, a handle, a couple of batteries and a monitor it's around $3,000, but then it shoots 4K 120 fps and 1080p at twice that speed. It's also tiny and apparently very robust. A viewfinder adds another 1,000-1,200 (for the Blackmagic as well), and that's where one saves big time with the Panasonic; it has a viewfinder built in, and it sells for under $2,400 including taxes and with local support.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a long review of the G95. She's sponsored by Panasonic, so take it for what it is, but I'm left with the impression that this is a very usable camera, maybe even more so than the G9 for most of my usage.

One of the things she mentions is one handed shooting, something I do a lot. The button placement, the low weight and small size all make that a bit easier.

https://www.journalofnomads.com/panasonic-lumix-g90-g95-review/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here's a long review of the G95. She's sponsored by Panasonic, so take it for what it is, but I'm left with the impression that this is a very usable camera, maybe even more so than the G9 for most of my usage.

One of the things she mentions is one handed shooting, something I do a lot. The button placement, the low weight and small size all make that a bit easier.

Interesting review and great little camera.

Having said that - I still do not get it why to buy a G90 if I can have the G9 for €1265.- now on Amazon - and this is definitely not the cheapest place to buy ....

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=lunix+g9&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

And for one handed shooting the little bit more size of the G9 is even an advantage IMHO

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting review and great little camera.

Having said that - I still do not get it why to buy a G90 if I can have the G9 for €1265.- now on Amazon - and this is definitely not the cheapest place to buy ....

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=lunix+g9&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

And for one handed shooting the little bit more size of the G9 is even an advantage IMHO
If I were to buy the G95, the superior video features would be the most important, since that's where the most prominent improvement over the GX8 is. On paper, the G9 should produce higher quality video and even has faster slo-mo (180 fps vs. 120 fps), but the question is if it's noticeable in real life. In addition, it offers Vlog (not available for the G9), unlimited shooting time in all video formats and finally they have moved the mic socket out of the way for the LCD. It also uses the same batteries as my GX8 bodies that I'm keeping.

I don't know what I'll buy yet, and I might as well end up with a G9 or a GH5, but I really like this camera. As for one hand shooting, less weight and less width are important to me, as is the position of the playback button. The latter is on the wrong side of the camera on the G9, at least from my point of view.

iiiNelson

I personally don’t care that people are sponsored by a company or are ambassadors... it doesn’t mean they’ll all risk their credibility for a pay day. I know people have become increasingly cynical of Ambassadors and towards those with a level of relational access. I can say for certain that much of the opportunity for access comes down to individual professionalism and less of it comes solely from ability or pure social status.

Her review was relevant to and honest of her experiences.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I were to buy the G95, the superior video features would be the most important, since that's where the most prominent improvement over the GX8 is. On paper, the G9 should produce higher quality video and even has faster slo-mo (180 fps vs. 120 fps), but the question is if it's noticeable in real life. In addition, it offers Vlog (not available for the G9), unlimited shooting time in all video formats and finally they have moved the mic socket out of the way for the LCD. It also uses the same batteries as my GX8 bodies that I'm keeping.

I don't know what I'll buy yet, and I might as well end up with a G9 or a GH5, but I really like this camera. As for one hand shooting, less weight and less width are important to me, as is the position of the playback button. The latter is on the wrong side of the camera on the G9, at least from my point of view.
I think you are pretty much right with your thoughts about the G90. It would also tick most of my boxes I currently have for my next type of camera.

As you I am also waiting what the Fuji X-H2 will bring to the table and if this one is right Fuji might very well become my next all in one system for the next few years.