The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sharp Beast

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A very interesting video here from News Shooter about the new Sharp 8K camera. Even at this early stage, it seems to work surprisingly well, and... drum roll... they are making the 33 MP 4/3 sensor themselves. What that will mean for other camera makers in the future is impossible to say, but doing what they've done here really is a show of abilities and innovation that may challenge even Sony.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04...oming-8k-micro-four-thirds-camera-for-a-spin/

Sharp btw. is owned by Foxconn, so there's serious money behind whatever they do.

iiiNelson

Sharp camera in use.

https://youtu.be/t4jm_saOrRk

Seems like an interesting offering from them and if they can mass produce their sensors in a cost effective way then it would be good to see a higher resolution Micro 4/3 option for those that want to stick with the format. Interesting design too and it reminds me a lot of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K camera. As a side note Sharp mentioned the sensor readout isn’t fast enough to support frame rates above 60fps so that’ll limit slow motion video to about 2.5x slow motion for normal video but in all but the most fast paced situations it may suffice for now.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I discussed that camera already some months ago in another thread - so I am not sure why suddenly this surprise .....

iiiNelson

I discussed that camera already some months ago in another thread - so I am not sure why suddenly this surprise .....
No surprise.

The model shown at CES was a non-working mock-up. There’s a actual working prototype for the first time at NAB this week so it’s getting press due to people actually getting hands-on time with it for feedback. It’s the typical process of where people have additional “excitement” based upon additional news to report and see.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
No surprise.

The model shown at CES was a non-working mock-up. There’s a actual working prototype for the first time at NAB this week so it’s getting press due to people actually getting hands-on time with it for feedback. It’s the typical process of where people have additional “excitement” based upon additional news to report and see.
I never had any doubt that they would bring this to market ....

iiiNelson

I never had any doubt that they would bring this to market ....
I think it’s more than them bringing it to market - it’s that it appears to be up to a decent standard for cameras of today. Hopefully they get the autofocus side figured out, keep the price closer to the $3k range than the $5k range that they threw out as numbers. Also if they get the autofocus tied down and implement a great photo mode then this will be a great camera for the prosumer market. There will be limited pro adoption without a redundant media backup solution but perhaps that’ll be solved too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry, forgot about the other thread. The surprise is not about the camera, but the fact that they are making the sensor themselves, a sensor that if it has the 4/3 aspect ratio is around 40MP for stills photography. If they start selling that sensor to the other members of the MFT alliance, that opens up new potential.

iiiNelson

Sorry, forgot about the other thread. The surprise is not about the camera, but the fact that they are making the sensor themselves, a sensor that if it has the 4/3 aspect ratio is around 40MP for stills photography. If they start selling that sensor to the other members of the MFT alliance, that opens up new potential.
Well the sensor is 33mp and it’s limited to the 16:9 format as well in shape.

Not a huge negative for video but I’m not sure how much sensor size and resolution is lost from the crop. Could potentially be going to a sensor significantly smaller than Micro 4/3 after the crop is applied. Time will tell once the official specs are released.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well the sensor is 33mp and it’s limited to the 16:9 format as well in shape.

Not a huge negative for video but I’m not sure how much sensor size and resolution is lost from the crop. Could potentially be going to a sensor significantly smaller than Micro 4/3 after the crop is applied. Time will tell once the official specs are released.
I actually wouldn't mind a MFT body with a 16:9 sensor. When I had the GH2, I mostly used it at 16:9. It would almost be like a digital X-Pan :)

If they can make a 16:9 sensor, they can obviously make a 4:3 sensor with the same pixel density as well. They're a member of the alliance, and I don't doubt for a second that they are talking with the other members about this. E-M1X II anyone, with 40MP stills, 150MP hi-res and 8K video?