The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flashgun for G1

S

Spongeybob

Hi everyone,
I’m looking to buy a flash gun for my new G1 and would value any advice.
As alternatives to the DMW-FL220E I’m considering the Olympus FL36 or FL50 and also the Metz 36 AF-4 digital. I know that the Olympus unit are fully compatible but, has anyone tried Metz 36 AF-4 digital? The brochure states that it is compatible with the Olympus / Panasonic 4/3’s standard but what about micro 4/3’s. any idea's anyone?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have an Oly FL-36R and it works well. I would not put the FL-50 or 50R on the G1. It is a great flash, but too big for the G1 IMHO.

B

bg2b

I use the el-cheapo Targus DL-20. Very small, bounces, does TTL, and is about the size and weight of a Nikon SB-400. It works fine if you're not trying to light up a big room.

HansenTsang

I am using a Metz 48AF-1. It works fine for the kit lens and the Leica/Panasonic 25 mm f1.4. I have to put it on manual mode to use with manual lenses.

S

Spongeybob

Wow, many thanks to everyone for your quick replies. I’d not considered the Metz 48AF-1 but at only £35 more the Panasonic it does seem to be much better value for money.
HansenTsang, Just one thing, after doing some research, I have read that the AF Assist light on the 48 AF-1 does not work when attached to the G1. Have you found this to be a problem?

HansenTsang

I use it in manual mode mostly because I use manual focus lens. So far not that bad. Using a big flash like the 48 AF-1 is only last resort because the flash is bigger than the camera.;-)

apicius9

Hi, I don't have much experience with flash photography, and I'm just wondering where I could find out more about what flashes work for what cameras and/or purposes. To be more specific: I have an older Metz 32 Z-2 (SCA-3000 System, whatever that means...) and an Interfit e-flash - is there any reason why I shouldn't use these on a G1 as long as I figure out the manual settings? Can I damage the flash or the camera if things are not compatible? Not to highjack this thread, just trying to understand the compatibility issues better.

Thanks,

Stefan

HansenTsang

Check the instruction if you can find it. If your flash requires shorting two contacts together then you should have no problem using it. There are some really old flash that uses high voltage to trigger the unit and those are not recommended unless you have a mean to regulate the voltage.

This is a rather old, but very useful, table of trigger voltages for various strobe models:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

With a digital voltmeter, one can measure the voltage across the firing contacts when it is charged and ready (many analog meters have too low internal resistance to give reliable readings in this situation) and ensure its safety (or be warned...).

E

emory

I've tried researching this everywhere online, but can't find an answer.

Does anyone know the maximum trigger voltage that is safe with the G-1?

I have an old but powerful Metz which I measured at approx. 25v.

Thanks for any input. Too bad Panasonic doesn't post an official number...

HansenTsang

Not knowing the actual answer myself I would buy a voltage regulator from one of the camera store to put in between the Metz and the camera to trigger. I believe I have seen voltage regulators made by Wein from B & H.

E

emory

Thanks for your answer.

I was hoping to avoid stacking the Metz's mecamat external sensor on top of a safe sync on the flash shoe. The combination would be a great deal taller than the camera itself.

Canon claims up to 220v for their newer DSLRs as opposed to only 6v for the earliest models. Why can't Panasonic provide similar information?