The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jinfinance Leic M adapter with 15 mm VC heliar

Michiel Schierbeek

Does anybody have experience with this combination or does it protrude to deep to function. May be better to go the 2 adapter way? I remember way back there was a thread about this lens but can't find it.
Any infinity problems with this adapter? It is the cheapest so far.
I do have the 15 mm Heliar and the 50 mm Nokton VC lenses and would like to try them on the G1. I know the Nokton is no problem.
Michiel

cap'n bill

I have had no problems using the Heliar with the Jin adapter. I will post a couple of pictures later. The adapter does allow focussing slightly past infinity.

Michiel Schierbeek

I have had no problems using the Heliar with the Jin adapter. I will post a couple of pictures later. The adapter does allow focussing slightly past infinity.
Oh thanks. Would be nice to see some examples. Do you like the quality of the output in general on the G1?
Michiel

cap'n bill

I took the camera for a walk round the village today, carrying only the 15mm Heliar.

First, three pictures of the adapter and camera, no rear protusion problems as you can see.

General view on using this lens? Well nice and compact, better on close than distant subjects where focussing is difficult. The angle the focussing turns through is about 90 degrees but 1m to infinity is only about 30 degrees. this is fine on 35mm but too coarse on MFT. Lens is very prone to flare and need a much better lens hood than the vestigal one provided for 35mm

Now some sample images.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you very much for these illustrations. Fits nicely on the G1!
When in focus colour and sharpness look fine.
I think it will take some time to get the ins and outs of this lens under control on th G1.
For total DOF hyperfocall distance setting does hopefully the trick. I like the lens very much on my Voigtlander R4A but now it is a 30 mm lens it will be harder to focus, but still a very usefull wideangle, I think.
Well I am glad it can be used with this adapter and that I can find use for the Nokton as well on the G1. Time to buy the adapter, saw it for $ 89 from Hong Kong, I believe.
Thanks again, Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

In another thread on this page it is mentioned that this adapter goes a little pass infinity.
If I look at your samples ,I can't really tell. I think they look right. What do you think about this?
Michiel

jlm

Workshop Member
going a little past infinity means only that the lens barrel markings are not quite accurate when using the adapter. what is critical is that you can focus at infinity when you want to

Y.B.Hudson III

You can use 1" shaft shim washers between the lens and the LTM/M adapter to achieve infinity. I found t' lens to be a re@L turtLe...

R

Ranger 9

A shim is a machinist's term for a very thin piece of material (usually metal) for increasing the space between two parts. A washer is a round, ring-shaped piece of material used for sealing or spacing.

So what he is saying is that in a hardware shop you can find round, ring-shaped pieces of very thin metal. If you fit one of these between the lens and the adapter, you can slightly increase the distance between the lens and the sensor. If your adapter focuses "past infinity" (allows lens to get too close to sensor) this can correct the situation.

jlm

Workshop Member
unfortunately, there is no room in the fit-up between lens and adapter or between adapter and body to accommodate a shim as they are both bayonet type. you have to separate the adapter into it's halves and shim in between them. that is not so easy

cap'n bill

What are shim washers? Excuse me I am Dutch :salute:
And you mean slow by turtle or do you just love the animal?:confused:
Michiel
I'm English and I only understood the first part :D

In practical use the 'past infinity' is only a minor nuisance. The discrepancy is small and doesn't significantly affect the near focus limit but on long shots you do have to actually focus, instead of just winding the lens up to infinity.

Better this way round than not being able to reach infinity though.

monza

I agree, it's much better to focus past infinity than not reach it. :) Ideally it should be 'just barely past' infinity. If it's much more than this, then close focus can be compromised, and M lenses are not known for close focus anyway. On my original Novoflex adapter, it moved close focus to about 4 feet on a Nokton 40/1.4, which isn't close at all...the replacement is much better. At this point all the adapters currently in the marketplace are either dead-on infinity or focus a tad past.

R

Ranger 9

unfortunately, there is no room in the fit-up between lens and adapter or between adapter and body to accommodate a shim as they are both bayonet type. you have to separate the adapter into it's halves and shim in between them. that is not so easy
I should have made clear that the original post says to fit the shim washer between the LTM lens and LTM-to-M adapter. This won't work with anything except LTM lenses.

PS -- LTM, for those who don't know, is a common abbreviation for "Leica thread mount," and refers to the 39mm threaded mount used on older Leica cameras and lenses, Canon rangefinder-camera lenses, etc. Since this mount uses a simple thread, it is easy to insert a shim between the lens and the adapter; it simply prevents the lens from being threaded in quite as far.

PPS -- This type of lens mount is sometimes also known as a "screw mount," but the "thread mount" usage seems to be more common in this case because of the misunderstandings that can result:

PHOTOGRAPHER: Excuse me, salesperson, can you sell me an adapter for this lens?

SALESPERSON: What kind of adapter?

PHOTOGRAPHER: Leica screw?

SALESPERSON: Not while I'm on duty. Now, what kind of adapter?

Michiel Schierbeek

I should have made clear that the original post says to fit the shim washer between the LTM lens and LTM-to-M adapter. This won't work with anything except LTM lenses.

Oké, understood I will try that in between the two adapters so I can finally get some digital use for my little turtle. :grin:
Thanks all for the explications, very instructive.
Michiel