The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware 3.0 for E-M1MkII

Knorp

Not bad, not bad at all ... :thumbs:

Olympus has released a major firmware update for its nearly three-year-old OM-D E-M1 Mark II. Many of the additions come straight from the company's flagship E-M1X, so now you can have a camera that shares many of the same features but in a much smaller package.

The most significant features include:

Autofocus
  • Autofocus algorithms from the E-M1X improves performance tracking moving subjects and makes S-AF more accurate
  • Group 25-point AF mode added; Center priority mode sticks to center focus point and will use surrounding points if subject moves 'vigorously'
  • 'Active use' of PDAF improves performance when shooting video
  • Camera can now focus down to -6EV when using an F1.2 lens
Image quality
  • A new 'Detail Priority' mode reduces noise (at the expense of burst speed) at low ISOs in JPEGs
  • High ISO performance has been improved by 1/3-stop, according to Olympus
  • ISO 100 (Low) added
  • Anti-flicker mode added
Other
  • OM-Log400 added for more flexibility for color grading in video
  • Menus/playback mode can be entered while camera is writing to a memory card
  • Focus Stacking now offers choice of 3-15 shots
  • New Instant Film Art Filter
  • Support for USB Raw Data Edit with Olympus Workspace (see below)
  • Support for new MC-20 teleconverter

scho

I updated the firmware on my E-M1X to 1.1. Nothing exciting, but it did include compatibility for the new tele extender MC-20 that I also preordered today. Looking forward to using it with the 40-150.

Not bad, not bad at all ... :thumbs:

Olympus has released a major firmware update for its nearly three-year-old OM-D E-M1 Mark II. Many of the additions come straight from the company's flagship E-M1X, so now you can have a camera that shares many of the same features but in a much smaller package.

The most significant features include:

Autofocus
  • Autofocus algorithms from the E-M1X improves performance tracking moving subjects and makes S-AF more accurate
  • Group 25-point AF mode added; Center priority mode sticks to center focus point and will use surrounding points if subject moves 'vigorously'
  • 'Active use' of PDAF improves performance when shooting video
  • Camera can now focus down to -6EV when using an F1.2 lens
Image quality
  • A new 'Detail Priority' mode reduces noise (at the expense of burst speed) at low ISOs in JPEGs
  • High ISO performance has been improved by 1/3-stop, according to Olympus
  • ISO 100 (Low) added
  • Anti-flicker mode added
Other
  • OM-Log400 added for more flexibility for color grading in video
  • Menus/playback mode can be entered while camera is writing to a memory card
  • Focus Stacking now offers choice of 3-15 shots
  • New Instant Film Art Filter
  • Support for USB Raw Data Edit with Olympus Workspace (see below)
  • Support for new MC-20 teleconverter

k-hawinkler

I updated the firmware on my E-M1X to 1.1. Nothing exciting, but it did include compatibility for the new tele extender MC-20 that I also preordered today. Looking forward to using it with the 40-150.
Thanks Carl.
Please let us know how the 2x TC performs. TIA.

scho

There are a couple of sample images in this review taken with the MC-20 on the 300/4 using an E-M1X
Hmm.. I checked the exif on the image with the elephants at a waterhole and it was taken with the 40-150 on an E-M1II, not the 300/4 on E-M1X as stated in text of review. The lion image was taken with the 300/4+MC-20.

Last edited:

Knorp

Hmm.. I checked the exif on the image with the elephants at a waterhole and it was taken with the 40-150 on an E-M1II, not the 300/4 on E-M1X as stated in text of review. The lion image was taken with the 300/4+MC-20.
It looks very promising nevertheless, but viewing those images at large it also shows, at least the way I see it, the µ43 weaknesses.
With the converters it just multiplies.
Still, I'll order that MC-20 anyway ... :)

:OT: The GFX converter (1.4x) otoh is amazing and shows little to no loss in IQ when mounted to the GF 250/4.

scho

It looks very promising nevertheless, but viewing those images at large it also shows, at least the way I see it, the µ43 weaknesses.
With the converters it just multiplies.
Still, I'll order that MC-20 anyway ... :)

:OT: The GFX converter (1.4x) otoh is amazing and shows little to no loss in IQ when mounted to the GF 250/4.
These look a lot better and with the 40-150. My MC-20 should arrive end of next week.

Last edited: