The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Robin Wong tests the new Olympus 2X teleconverter

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2019/07/olympus-mzuiko-mc-20-2x-teleconverter.html

Robin often states that he's not a birding photographer, but he achievd some stunning results at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park in Malaysia under poor weather conditions when testing this new teleconverter with the Olympus Pro 40-150 and 300mm lenses. He claims the 2X autofocuses faster than the 1.4TC, and most of his images are impressively sharp when shot wide open.

The only disadvantage of this teleconverter, apart from the loss of two stops of light which is normal with any 2X, is that one loses one stop of image stbilization. Nevertheless, when coupled with lenses that have built in IS, mounted to a body that has 5 stops of IS, the result is five stops of IS, down from six.

The TC is only compatible with the 40-150 and 300 Pro lenses. It will also be compatible wi the 150-400 lens once released.

B&H in NYC has a preorder price of $430 for this item.

Last edited:

scho

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2019/07/olympus-mzuiko-mc-20-2x-teleconverter.html

Robin often states that he's not a birding photographer, but he achievd some stunning results at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park in Malaysia under poor weather conditions when testing this new teleconverter with the Olympus Pro 40-150 and 300mm lenses. He claims the 2X autofocuses faster than the 1.4TC, and most of his images are impressively sharp when shot wide open.

The only disadvantage of this teleconverter, apart from the loss of two stops of light which is normal with any 2X, is that one loses one stop of image stbilization. Nevertheless, when coupled with lenses that have built in IS, mounted to a body that has 5 stops of IS, the result is five stops of IS, down from six.

The TC is only compatible with the 40-150 and 300 Pro lenses. It will also be compatible wi the 150-400 lens once released.

B&H in NYC has a preorder price of $430 for this item.
Really outstanding images. Particularly with the MC-20 on the 40-150.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If it is as good as the MC14 it definitely widens the potential for extreme tele shooting with the 40-150 and the 300 PRO lenses. And for that price it is almost a no brainer. I guess I will add one to my arsenal one day.

scho

A few quick comparison shots using the E-M1X with MC-20 on both the 300/4 and 40-150/2.8. All handheld S-AF, autoISO, wide open. Click image for originals.

Tool shed label distance about 30 ft.

40-150 + MC-20 @ 300mm

300/4 @ 300mm

300/4 + MC-20 @600mm

scho

A few more flower shots with the MC-20.

40-150 + MC-20

300/4 + MC-20

40-150 + MC-20 @ 146mm

Knorp

It's looking good, Carl.
Unfortunately no time yet, so I have to wait for the weekend or maybe if I'm lucky Friday late afternoon.

Krgds.