The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Telezoom dilemma

henningw

After having bought (and used) pretty well all of the lenses mentioned here, I now am going on a trip with two bodies and the Panasonic 12-60/2.8-4 and 50-200/2.8-4 as my mid to longer lenses, with the Panasonic 15/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8 as my faster small lenses. For wide views I have the Laowa 7.5/2, which is as good as the Panasonic 7-14/4 at the same focal length (by my criteria), and better than the Olympus f/2.8, and a lot smaller than either. If I'm going wider than 12, I usually want a lot wider. I'm also taking the Laowa 4mm/2.8, which I got a couple of months ago. So tiny, it disappears into my bag, so why not take it for those very occasional shots where it works?

The 50-200 is a lot better optically than the 100-300's, and while it's heavier, it is about the same length, and it does very well with the 1.4x tc. Not so well with the 2x, but that's OK. If I want longer and am willing to carry them, the 200/2.8 with 2x tc is a lot better, and even the 100-400.

The 40-150/2.8 was just a bit too big for what it produced, and the Panasonic 35-100 was too short too often. The 12-40/2.8 is an excellent lens, but is a bit poorer than my copy of the 12-60 and of course shorter. The 12-100/4 is an excellent one lens solution, but isn't quite as good as the 12-60 and 50-200 at comparable lengths, and is a bit of a handful itself.

These are of course very personal judgements regarding size and handling, and the optical qualities on the whole are all acceptable and rarely make or break a picture. As far as optical quality is concerned, the standouts in my collection are the 45/1.2 Pro, the 75/1.8 and the 200/2.8. The 17/1.2 would also be in this group if I could have accepted it's size, but it's too much for it's f.l. and I like the 15/1.7 in that range better.

Elderly

The 40-150/2.8 was just a bit too big for what it produced, and the Panasonic 35-100 was too short too often. The 12-40/2.8 is an excellent lens, but is a bit poorer than my copy of the 12-60 and of course shorter. The 12-100/4 is an excellent one lens solution, but isn't quite as good as the 12-60 and 50-200 at comparable lengths, and is a bit of a handful itself.

These are of course very personal judgements regarding size and handling, and the optical qualities on the whole are all acceptable and rarely make or break a picture .
/\ I agree with all of this, but with one personal caveat:

I rarely have time to consider what I'm about to shoot (by the time I've changed lenses I would have missed the shot) and the majority of my shots
are covered by the 12-100 f4, with quite a number towards or at the longer end (so precluding the lighter & faster 12-60).

So after having the 12-40 and 40-150, I've ended up with just the 12-100 and 50-200;
a combination for me which gives all the range I want for my style of photography
and which has a weight and bulk that I'm happy to travel with.