The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed please..

rayyan

Ayesha is headed to Antarctica this November.

She wants a robust camera to make the trip with her.

None of my collections of Nikon or Fuji suit her.

Besides being able to withstand the weather conditions, she
wants no lens changes.

1 camera, 1 lens.

I recommended the EM1 II plus
OLYMPUS 24-100 mm f/4 lens

We shall be grateful for your advice, suggestions and alternatives

Thanks folks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This wold be my preferred travel setup!

I just travelled with my family to Florida (hot and humid) and brought my EM1.2 with the 2.8/12-40 PRO and the 2.8/40-150 PRO. I had the 12-40 mounted to the camera 95% of the time.

Having said that I could have done all shots with the 4/12-100 PRO only!

So my recommendation is go for it :thumbs:

Knorp

+1 what Peter said: the 12-100/4 PRO.
Perhaps you want the additional battery grip so you can have two batteries.

Shashin

wants no lens changes.

1 camera, 1 lens.

Thanks folks.
Take her shopping so she can pick up the camera and understand its size and weight. Cameras are so personal--obviously the refined taste of Fuji photographers are not shared by everyone. :toocool: I am sure the Olympus is a great camera, but I would make sure it will meet the photographer's expectations.

And I would also consider the demands on the batteries for that trip.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The E-M1 II plus 12-100mm f/4 is a great choice, provided she can live with the Olympus user interface. It's not to everybody's taste. Alternatively, the same lens mounted on the Panasonic G95 or G9 gives a more traditional user interface and the same image quality, except she will have to choose between in-body or in-lens stabilisation.

Another possible combo is the one of the Panasonic bodies with the PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4. That will give her less reach, but I have friends who hardly ever use any other lens than that.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The E-M1 II plus 12-100mm f/4 is a great choice, provided she can live with the Olympus user interface. It's not to everybody's taste. Alternatively, the same lens mounted on the Panasonic G95 or G9 gives a more traditional user interface and the same image quality, except she will have to choose between in-body or in-lens stabilisation.

Another possible combo is the one of the Panasonic bodies with the PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4. That will give her less reach, but I have friends who hardly ever use any other lens than that.
While one can mix systems in m43 (Panasonic and Olympus) I would not recommend to do this, especially if going with the 4/12-100 PRO. This lens has a built in OIS the works closely with the IBIS of the EM1.2 and such achieves stabilisation values that are ou of this world (around 7.5 stops). This is imperative when using a relatively slow lens (4.0)at longer focal length like 100mm. Any combination with non Olympus body works, but will be far way from what you can achieve with the EM1.2.

The UI of Olympus is no more complicated, not more than the Panasonic UI. Just works in a different way but once used to it you love it. Especially th Quick Control Panel is superb and if someone does not understand it maybe it is better to stop photography other than on smartphones. And it covers ALL necessary settings.

If Olympus is not her thing - and she can only fond out herself while trying the camera(s) then I would suggest to rather go completely Panasonic with maybe that PL 12-60. I was completely happy with just the reach of the 12-40 PRO.

Another alternative would be a Fuji X-T30 and a 18-135 OIS - that has excellent IQ and video features as well and is almost as versatile as an EM1.2 with a 12-100 PRO attached, but offers the typical Fuji feeling/handling.

Lot od food for thought ;)

rayyan

:salute: to all who have responded with their experience and advice.

I value the advice given here more than all the ' unpacking ' and ' which camera to get ' type of advice.
The advice you folks have given here comes from real world photographers who have shown their work here for all to see.:clap:

This is the sort of advice one would not get even if paid for or joining one of those ' workshops ' or ' photography tours '.

Ayesha has been reading this thread, and is grateful for your advice. She is in Jordan right now trying to get her visa sorted out at the Chilean Embassy.
She called me and told me specifically to thank you people.

A trip to Dubai is going to happen so that she can hold and go through the 2/3 choices mentioned here.

Folks, I am grateful.

Thank you and warmest regards.

Elderly

1 camera, 1 lens.

I presume that you mean the 12-100/4 PRO?

The EM1 II and that lens is my travel outfit and I'm very happy with the combination.

Changing lenses does not suit my style of photograph,
but for big trips I also take my PL 50-200 2.8/4 for when I do need that extra reach
and maybe for Antarctica a longer lens might be a useful lens to have.

For the lightest combination she could try the Olympus 14-150 - it's a bit slow but it's not a bad lens.

Olympus V Panasonic bodies I can't comment on as I've not used the latter for many years.
Mixing the brands .......
........the OIS/IBIS thing doesn't bother me but the change in zoom direction between the two brands does (when using both lenses).

Whatever body is chosen I'd take a grip for both battery life in the cold conditions and maybe better handling in gloves.

Actually choosing what type of gloves is probably more important than the camera;
I used to have a pair oil rig maintenance workers' gloves, they had a horizontal slit cut towards the bottom of each finger
and you could quickly slip your required fingers in and out of the slit when delicate finger-tip operations were needed.

rayyan

An update.

We were in the UAE for the better part of 10 days. We saw, held, tried the Olympus cameras and lens.

After all that energy spent, Ayesha did not like the Olympus camera. Forget about cameras, she said. And went off to do shopping for Arctic wear!!

Thank you for all excellent suggestions, advice and help.

We are grateful to you all.

p.s I actually liked the setup:eek:
just saying!

rayyan

Will, it appears that a X-T3 and the 16-80/4 is the one she will take.
If we can get the lens in time.

Else....I don’t know. And she couldn’t care less!

Best.

Fuji's do kind of ruin that other camera experience...;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Will, it appears that a X-T3 and the 16-80/4 is the one she will take.
If we can get the lens in time.

Else....I don’t know. And she couldn’t care less!

Best.
Actually that would be an excellent choice!!!!

Take this advice with special weight from a currently full time Olympus m43 shooter!

Peter

PS: would I get into these decisions without having so heavily invested in Olympus I would choose that combo your wife prefers!

rayyan

Thanks Peter.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I think this would be a sensible combination for her with minimal expense.
We just have to get the lens!

Take care.

Actually that would be an excellent choice!!!!

Take this advice with special weight from a currently full time Olympus m43 shooter!

Peter

PS: would I get into these decisions without having so heavily invested in Olympus I would choose that combo your wife prefers!

rayyan

Second thoughts....

The reviews, so far, do not instill me with confidence or enthusiasm about the
Fuji 16-80mm/f4.

Anyone here have first hand experience about this lens?

Thank you.

Godfrey

I'm likely into the far edge minority here, but I'm much more likely to go traveling with a favorite body and a fast normal lens than anything else. And a late model iPhone (mine is an iPhone 8 Plus) with a tripod mount and a table-top tripod.

It's amazing what you can do with just the smartphone these days. For someone not into the camera thing, I'd just do that.

G

Thorkil

wants no lens changes.

1 camera, 1 lens.

Thanks folks.
Hi Rayyan
I know I'm too late.
But a Z6 with a 24-70/4 would be absolute perfect I would think.
Kind regards Thorkil
PS just set it on P-program and a UV filter on, and nothing goes wrong

Last edited:

rayyan

Thorkil, thanks for the input.

I just don't have the money to think, let alonebuy a new camera/lens.

To be honest, I have lost interest in what she what to take with her.

As K-H and G have suggested she could just take one ( or 2 ) smartphones with a selfie stick.

Best.

Hi Rayyan
I know I'm too late.
But a Z6 with a 24-70/4 would be absolute perfect I would think.
Kind regards Thorkil
PS just set it on P-program and a UV filter on, and nothing goes wrong

Thorkil

Thorkil, thanks for the input.

I just don't have the money to think, let alonebuy a new camera/lens.

To be honest, I have lost interest in what she what to take with her.

As K-H and G have suggested she could just take one ( or 2 ) smartphones with a selfie stick.

Best.
these are the new ages, Rayyan..
we are part of an ancient and dying race - who just want to look at the world through a good old viewfinder - and think that selfies are somewhat stu...
best thorkil