The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed please..

Godfrey

I have no problem with selfies, even if they are a bit narcissistic for me. People like them, and I will say that the relative dearth of photos of me on my travels over the years has been commented on. Such it is. :)

Cameras in the latest generation of smartphones, however, have simply terrific quality so it’s silly not to take advantage of them. A selfie stick or a little tripod, the right app, an accessory lens ... you can do semipro grade photography with one and the darn thing fits in your pocket. It’s pretty amazing really.

G

SrMphoto

For Antarctica and its abundant wildlife, one should carry a camera with a bit of a longer lens. A Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 could be a useful addition to the phone camera.

Thorkil

I have no problem with selfies, even if they are a bit narcissistic for me. People like them, and I will say that the relative dearth of photos of me on my travels over the years has been commented on. Such it is. :)

Cameras in the latest generation of smartphones, however, have simply terrific quality so it’s silly not to take advantage of them. A selfie stick or a little tripod, the right app, an accessory lens ... you can do semipro grade photography with one and the darn thing fits in your pocket. It’s pretty amazing really.

G
well, I do enjoy your cosy selfies, Godfrey :thumbup: and ayesha's too (!)

but my phone allergy comes from walking in the streets where all the young people (and eventually now also the middle-aged people) are all starring down at their phones all the time and bump into one - they seem to think the amazing life is going on down in the silly phone - look up boys and girls, take part, take a look at the buildings, look at the trees, see the leaves falling down feel the wind, see the light - and after we have extended our harbour of Copenhagen, unfortunately only for cruise ships, there are tourists everywhere in the streets - and there are always a 20-30 persons in front of you taking silly selfies all the time - just a sour old man thinking backwards of some more peacefulness and a sort of mindfullness and reflection, I think :rolleyes:

Godfrey

well, I do enjoy your cosy selfies, Godfrey :thumbup: and ayesha's too (!)

but my phone allergy comes from walking in the streets where all the young people (and eventually now also the middle-aged people) are all starring down at their phones all the time and bump into one - they seem to think the amazing life is going on down in the silly phone - look up boys and girls, take part, take a look at the buildings, look at the trees, see the leaves falling down feel the wind, see the light - and after we have extended our harbour of Copenhagen, unfortunately only for cruise ships, there are tourists everywhere in the streets - and there are always a 20-30 persons in front of you taking silly selfies all the time - just a sour old man thinking backwards of some more peacefulness and a sort of mindfullness and reflection, I think :rolleyes:
Oh, I don't disagree with that. I am often goading people to put the phone down, look up and be part of the scene rather than watching it on their phones. Obnoxious old man that I am... :D

Me @ Griffith Observatory​

Eh, but I do enjoy the kiddies ... which seems to include all those up to about mid-forties nowadays.

G :thumbup: