Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: small support for G1....

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    small support for G1....

    This really came about because of Terry's post about the macro fern shot--and the other macros posted before it. I don't have a macro converter for my lenses--I do have the Cokin closeup--and I like using the extension tubes (I have 12, 20, 25 and 36mm) with the FD 50 f/1.8--though I don't have as much flexibility probably as with something like the Raynox 250. Still--I don't do much macro and do own a very good macro for the 5D, so don't want to put a lot into extras--and really like the results from the FD 50 and tubes.

    However, this afternoon I was trying to shoot an opening fern frond--really seeing if I liked the image enough to work harder at shooting it. That means getting out one of my big tripods, setting it up for close to ground, etc.

    When I bought the G9 when it came out I considered buying a table top or mini tripod for it, but didn't like shooting with it enough to follow through. Now--I'm considering some small support again. I know about the gorillapod (don't really think I would care for it), Ultrapod--not sure--and don't want to put a lot of money into this for occasional ground shots. I've considered a beanbag type thing (seems it could work for travel also) and remembered this http://www.thepod.ca/red%20pod%20page.html and wondered if anyone has used it.

    However, since the ferns unfurling will wait for no one, it means tomorrow I will get out my big tripod, realign it for near ground shooting, and see what happens. But--for the future--what thoughts do others have.

    Diane

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: small support for G1....

    Diane

    Really Right Stuff (www.reallyrightstuff.com) make a ground tripod which is purported to be excellent. (I would suspect so since everything they make that I use such as the BH 55 ball head is superb). You may want to research this. Leica make a very good table top as well but typical of Leica it is way expensive.

    Hope this helps

    Woody

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: small support for G1....

    Diane the little one that I have is a manfrotto but I haven't yet tried it with the G1. My day to day tripod is a Gitzo 1550t which is really quite small and can get pretty low to the ground. Of course the Gitzo was in SF and I was in AZ and the tripod there is not very good.

    This was my mess of an attempt this weekend!!!! I was using the 45-200 plus the Canon 250D which is a +4 diopter

    LOL - NO art filter just wind and focus errors!

    Attachment 14657

    I managed to get one sharp of my cactus getting ready to make spectacular blooms that I will miss.

    Attachment 14658

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    I don't get on particularly well with tabletop tripods or gorilla pods.

    My small tripod is a set of three section Manfrotto CXPro3 carbon fiber legs fitted with a Markins Q3 head. Very small and light, fast to set up and take down. For field macro work, the column snaps into a horizontal position very quickly and easily. It's remarkably sturdy for a lightweight setup and can get down to about 8" off the ground.

    Coupled with that, for close up work, the Olympus ZD 35 Macro nets a 1:1 magnification. For three dimensional work, a Pentax A50/2.8 Macro fitted to either the Olympus EC14 or Pentax 2x-S teleconverters will net excellent working distance and up to 1:1 magnification.

    Of course, this is higher end kit than casual closeups usually require... ;-)

    Godfrey

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: small support for G1....

    What's a tripod?

    Hi Diane
    Like Godfrey, I think the Olympus 35 macro is an excellent (and economical) choice for macro work.

    Why not use a bean bag? I have a monopod, and a tripod but I never use either because I always find that the angle I shoot at then depends on the limitations of the tripod rather than the best angle for the picture.

    For stuff like ferns unfolding (certainly a favorite of mine) I tend to lie on the ground and wedge the camera between ground / head and hand. Of course, you may be saying something like 'and it shows'!.



    taken with a D3 not a 4/3, but I think this would have been hard to get to with any kind of tripod . .. and if anyone is feeling pedantic I do realise that this is bracken rather than a fern!

    Just this guy you know

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: small support for G1....

    Yes the 35 mm macro is a great lens and fits very well on the G1.
    And I agree with Jono, you have to put on some old cloth and lay on the ground for very small things to hold the camera steady.
    You could of course, also use a very small tripod. It is more comfortable.
    For this photo I was laying in a flowerbed in a village in Normandy.
    Nobody saw me, I hope
    Michiel

    E-300 with Sigma 24mm 1.8 has also macro possibilitys. It's a nice lens and huge, but 1.8!


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I don't get on particularly well with tabletop tripods or gorilla pods.

    My small tripod is a set of three section Manfrotto CXPro3 carbon fiber legs fitted with a Markins Q3 head. Very small and light, fast to set up and take down. For field macro work, the column snaps into a horizontal position very quickly and easily. It's remarkably sturdy for a lightweight setup and can get down to about 8" off the ground.

    . Godfrey
    I may not get along well with them either--and wonder if I would carry them

    My big Manfrotto has a horizontal arm--its older and doesn't snap like yours but works well and I've even used it to extend out over water (with bated breath). But--for my smaller/lighter Manfrotto I remembered I bought a replacement center that allows me to use it (with my Markins ballhead) at virtually ground, so that will work. Just need to wait for the right light today.

    Diane

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    What's a tripod?

    Hi Diane
    Like Godfrey, I think the Olympus 35 macro is an excellent (and economical) choice for macro work.

    Why not use a bean bag? I have a monopod, and a tripod but I never use either because I always find that the angle I shoot at then depends on the limitations of the tripod rather than the best angle for the picture.

    For stuff like ferns unfolding (certainly a favorite of mine) I tend to lie on the ground and wedge the camera between ground / head and hand. Of course, you may be saying something like 'and it shows'!.



    taken with a D3 not a 4/3, but I think this would have been hard to get to with any kind of tripod . .. and if anyone is feeling pedantic I do realise that this is bracken rather than a fern!
    LOL--I tried lying on the ground, etc. yesterday---and IT shows (muddy knees, etc.) but couldn't find anyway to anchor the camera. The shot you show is actually similar (though mine is a fern) to what I was trying to capture. What I linked to is a beanbag type thingie--that's what I do think will work the best for me--just something other than my hands at that close. I do completely agree with you that the angle of the tripod is limiting, though the ballhead does make quite a difference, but a beanbag would suit me better I think.

    I won't buy a macro for the G1--have a quite good one for the 5D (though the camera is not nearly as good for capturing this kind of subject--the tiltable LCD works great with MF assist) so will, for occasional shooting of this type 'make do'.

    Out to try again this afternoon while I work in the garden.

    Diane

  9. #9
    Member sangio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    24

    Re: small support for G1....

    Hi Diane:

    I bought a small Velbon Ultra Maxi specifically for this type of use. The legs splay out almost horizontally and the column is split so you can get the camera down to about six inches off the ground. It comes with a pan/tilt head which I didn't care for, so I've replaced it with a small Manfrotto ball head. The whole thing weighs less than 2 lbs and works very well with smaller cameras such as the G1.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

    regards
    Santo

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Hi Diane:

    I bought a small Velbon Ultra Maxi specifically for this type of use. The legs splay out almost horizontally and the column is split so you can get the camera down to about six inches off the ground. It comes with a pan/tilt head which I didn't care for, so I've replaced it with a small Manfrotto ball head. The whole thing weighs less than 2 lbs and works very well with smaller cameras such as the G1.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

    regards
    Santo
    Thanks Santo. My smaller/lighter Manfrotto (as opposed to my bigger/heavier one LOL) did the job. I put the short center post in and it will also splay out almost on the ground now---and my Markins ballhead works great. So--I've solved my immediate problem but I do think I will add a beanbag to my gear.

    Finally got some decent pics of the fiddlehead. Its not my usual thing but the grace and intricasies of it attracted me--and this time of the year I'm down near ground level so much I notice these things.


    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 9th April 2009 at 20:10. Reason: added photo

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Hand held because it was raining.;-)
    Last edited by HansenTsang; 27th May 2009 at 17:27.

  12. #12
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: small support for G1....

    Hi,

    for this one, I was laying flat on the grass, camera handheld :



    C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by HansenTsang View Post
    Hand held because it was raining.;-)
    Love the color of the emerging frond--and the way its curve echoes the curve of the fully emerged frond behind. Very nice.

    Diane

  14. #14
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: small support for G1....

    FWIW, for flowers I prefer shooting at just above ground level, using my Billingham bag or my backpack like a big beanbag. The articulated LCD on my G1 has improved the ergonomy enormously (it´s even more convenient than the sorely missed waist level finder on my old ´Blad).

    For more careful work, I do have one of these: http://www.stabil.nu/english/index.html (click for the "Stabil Macro"), and it is just about perfect for the job. Very flexible and very rigid, with a good ballhead on it (for small cameras I use a Linhof one, but it can take a Monoball without problems). The whole thing goes inside a normal daypack, and is surprisingly light for its rigidity.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    FWIW, for flowers I prefer shooting at just above ground level, using my Billingham bag or my backpack like a big beanbag. The articulated LCD on my G1 has improved the ergonomy enormously (it´s even more convenient than the sorely missed waist level finder on my old ´Blad).

    For more careful work, I do have one of these: http://www.stabil.nu/english/index.html (click for the "Stabil Macro"), and it is just about perfect for the job. Very flexible and very rigid, with a good ballhead on it (for small cameras I use a Linhof one, but it can take a Monoball without problems). The whole thing goes inside a normal daypack, and is surprisingly light for its rigidity.
    woof, that's a pricey little set of legs!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    woof, that's a pricey little set of legs!
    Not really... It´s about USD 145; in Sweden we would pay more for a Manfrotto 190, and quite a lot more for a 055.

    Here are a couple of shots of the beast in action with the G1; sadly, I had no time to go out, so I simulated a flower shot on a steep slope, and another shooting upward from a low position between rocks or such. No problems either way.

    (By now, I´m in so deeply into this that I have to give the usual disclaimer: I don´t know the manufacturer, and I´ve nothing to gain from any sales. Only, I like the product a lot. I own one of the full-size tripods, too, and it is just great).

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: small support for G1....

    Wow! That is quite a cool set up. Has it taken you a while to figure out how to work with it at these various angles? How good are the instructions (and do they have good translators working the English version LOL)

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Not really... It´s about USD 145; in Sweden we would pay more for a Manfrotto 190, and quite a lot more for a 055.

    Here are a couple of shots of the beast in action with the G1; sadly, I had no time to go out, so I simulated a flower shot on a steep slope, and another shooting upward from a low position between rocks or such. No problems either way.
    Ah, I see my mistake: I thought the prices listed were euros, not krona. That's very reasonable then: $121 by my currency conversion calculator. :-)

    Cool looking device ... I'm interested now.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Ah, I see my mistake: I thought the prices listed were euros, not krona. That's very reasonable then: $121 by my currency conversion calculator. :-)

    Cool looking device ... I'm interested now.
    Godfrey - can we save on shipping buying two....

  20. #20
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Wow! That is quite a cool set up. Has it taken you a while to figure out how to work with it at these various angles? How good are the instructions (and do they have good translators working the English version LOL)
    I don´t recall there were any instructions included. However, when actually holding it in the hand, one gets the idea quite fast; it may look more complicated in the pictures than it really is. The knack is to always tighten the screws at the joints after setting up, then it becomes rock solid (mine has carried both a Hasselblad and a 4x5" Linhof before relaxing with the G1).

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Ah, I see my mistake: I thought the prices listed were euros, not krona. That's very reasonable then: $121 by my currency conversion calculator. :-)

    Cool looking device ... I'm interested now.
    Yes, I think it´s quite a bargain. And the materials and finish make it a sheer pleasure to handle and work with. While I´m not acquainted with the manufacturer, I know about him: he´s a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast, and his products are legendary among Swedish nature photographers. I´ve read about Ries tripods; I think this is the Swedish equivalent.

  21. #21
    Member btrancho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    I recently mailed an order to Jan Karlsson for one of his Stabil Macro tripods and just received this answer in Swedish. Web translators are quite bad so I am not completely sure what he is telling me here but I think it is that he will ship the tripod on June 26 via post as that is the least expensive way to ship and that he is either waiting for me to approve the 1500 SEK cost or is waiting for the bank to process the charge on my credit card. Can someone (Per??) help me with the translation?

    Hej Robert tack för orden Stativet kommer att levereras den 090626 som brev för att få ned fraktkostnaden var på banken i dag kollade upp om det funkade med detta betalningssätt dom kunde lösa det så som du vill kostnaden totalt blir 1500.00 SEK.
    Thanks in advance....
    Bob Trancho

  22. #22
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: small support for G1....

    Quote Originally Posted by btrancho View Post
    I recently mailed an order to Jan Karlsson for one of his Stabil Macro tripods and just received this answer in Swedish. Web translators are quite bad so I am not completely sure what he is telling me here but I think it is that he will ship the tripod on June 26 via post as that is the least expensive way to ship and that he is either waiting for me to approve the 1500 SEK cost or is waiting for the bank to process the charge on my credit card. Can someone (Per??) help me with the translation?



    Thanks in advance....
    It says:

    Hi Robert,
    Thank you for the order. The tripod will be delivered on 26 June 2009, sent as a letter to keep the freight cost low. Was at the bank today to check if the method of payment works. They can solve it like that if you want. The total cost will be SEK 1,500.

    At least that's what it looks like for a Norwegian

  23. #23
    Member btrancho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: small support for G1....

    Thanks so much Jorgen. I will send him a confirmation email. Web translators are almost worse than useless. This was the best translation the web was able to generate:

    "The mast will be delivered the 090626 as letter for getting the freight cost was in the bank today one up on the funkade with this method of payment judgment could solve the so that you would cost a total SEK 1500.00."

    I really appreciate your help!
    Bob Trancho

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: small support for G1....

    That's hilarious

    Must be said though, that the guy isn't exactly helping out by omitting full stops and capital letters in his text.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •