The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Em5iii

raist3d

Some daylight shots

This one the dog was pretty dark, as the background was bright/backlighting the dog. Developed up ~+2 EV's.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great shots Ricardo!

How do you like the EM5III so far (given that you have lot of experience with similar cameras)?

raist3d

Great shots Ricardo!

How do you like the EM5III so far (given that you have lot of experience with similar cameras)?
Sorry for the delay. Busy and stuff.

I like it OK. I new the fully articulated LCD would bug me a bit, but there's two things that are new that really bother me. One is that the upper limit for Auto ISO is 6400, not 25600 like PenF/GM5/EPL9. Why did that change? (and it changed for Em1X and apparently EM1MKII)- speculation is because the new sensor having a faster readout, may behave differently past ISO 6400... which means it needs to be reconfigured fast and may haver flower readout- haven't tried that theory yet but it's possible.

That's very annoying for me because when I am shooting at night I let the ISO roll to where it lands, and I def. want to include/not afraid of ISO 12,800 and even 25,600 for some shots.

The 2nd thing is that the EVF sensor is too damn sensitive- and Olympus doesn't turn it off when you have the LCD out... which means I haver to consciously move the camera in front of me further ahead than I want.

The two things the Camera does well that I was expecting is faster / better AF in lower light, and the IBIS is definitively amazing. I am getting easily 4 stops of IBIS and with a bit more care- 5 stops relatively consistently which I didn't expect. But again, for my photography IBIS doesn't help as much as it seem in general as I photograph often moving subjects.

Did try in person the Xpro3 because it was on my head, and I can get one at a ridiculously low price, but price in the end wouldn't be the main incentive as being "better match" or not. I liked the EVF, I could see the image quality is a bit better. Like the Tilt LCD.

I was not able to try it out in lower light situations and it's what I need because I don't want the AF to be worse. Phloblographer didn't give a high opinion on the AF which kinda surprised me since the XT3 is supposed to be pretty decent and the Xpro3 should be until a firmware update better since it can p-DAF down to -6 EV @ F1.4 according to Fuji. I also remembe3r my X-E3 being a step up enough that the XF35 F1.4 prime could focus decently at night.

So I wonder what's goin on with that.

Anyway, I am really sick of the camera gear wheel. I tried the GM5 the other night and was surprised how well it performed at focus AF tracking. Maybe I should just use the GM5 or something :) Anyhow, if I had a chance to try the x-pro3 at night I could probably make up my mind better on that. *IF* I went for an Xpro3 I would sell my EM5.3 immediately, but I am still mulling this.

The EM5.3 is still good (well, all cameras now are).

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried the E-M5 III yesterday, and while it's a beautiful little camera with great specs, I was a bit disappointed. My basis for comparison is the GX8 that I use on a daily basis:

- The shorter body with the shallow grip makes the ergonomics suffer. It's simply more difficult to reach vital functions with the right hand, and there are fewer physical buttons and switches. Also, the E-M5 can't hang from two fingers like the GX8 can.
- There doesn't seem to be a way to keep the EVF "always on", so there's a slight delay when I bring the camera up to my eye (correct me if I'm wrong). It's a distraction, and I don't like it.
- The camera doesn't automatically switch to "EVF only" when the LCD is turned in towards the body, so there's probably no sensor that registers that. Again, the GX8 does that, so I always leave my LCD/EVF to "LCD only" and let the camera switch when I don't use the LCD.
- Surprisingly, AF seemed less responsive thatn with the Panasonic. This was with the 17mm f/1.8, and while AF with the GX8 (and most other recent Panasonic bodies that I've used) is almost instant with all primes and fast zooms, this was clearly not.

So no E-M5 for me this time. I also tried the Pen-F (still available here) and E-M1 X, and much of the above go for those cameras too. It's a pity that the GX8 was never replaced. I would have loved one with the G9 specs. Buying a third, second hand body is actually something that I consider.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ricardo, Jorgen,

many thanks for your honest opinions!

I must say as an owner of the EM1.2 I am not intrigued of buying an EM5III anyway, bad sadly they obviously made a number of not so great changes to this camera.

On the other hand I am more and more attracted by the X-Pro3 and will try one out soon. I could see this as being my go to everyday camera with a 2/23, 1.4/35 and a 18-55 for the beginning. The AF should be fast enough from all I have read (seen) so far.

I will see begin of 2020 .....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ricardo, Jorgen,

I must say as an owner of the EM1.2 I am not intrigued of buying an EM5III anyway, bad sadly they obviously made a number of not so great changes to this camera.

On the other hand I am more and more attracted by the X-Pro3 and will try one out soon. I could see this as being my go to everyday camera with a 2/23, 1.4/35 and a 18-55 for the beginning. The AF should be fast enough from all I have read (seen) so far.

The X-Pro3 is clearly tempting for me as a GX8 user, but it would be a costly exercise. I've gotten used to the "box shape" with the GX8 and GM5, and would prefer not to go back to an SLR style camera unless there's an OVF hidden in that bump.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The X-Pro3 is clearly tempting for me as a GX8 user, but it would be a costly exercise. I've gotten used to the "box shape" with the GX8 and GM5, and would prefer not to go back to an SLR style camera unless there's an OVF hidden in that bump.
Yes the X-Pro3 is expensive indeed and currently owning no Fuji glass would even mean more investment. This is the main reason I am currently hesitating.

For the same money one can buy easily a Z7 with 4/24-70 and F mount adapter, that I also could use for my Leica M lenses. Would actually make more sense, but I am still undecided.

Fun factor of the X-Pro3 would be higher for me I guess 😄

raist3d

I tried the E-M5 III yesterday, and while it's a beautiful little camera with great specs, I was a bit disappointed. My basis for comparison is the GX8 that I use on a daily basis:

- The shorter body with the shallow grip makes the ergonomics suffer. It's simply more difficult to reach vital functions with the right hand, and there are fewer physical buttons and switches. Also, the E-M5 can't hang from two fingers like the GX8 can.
I can have my EM5 3 hang from my hand as a grip. But I would say that grips and sizes are an issue of preference. I would take the smaller and lighter of the EM5 3 over the GX8 any day. Key thing also is that the EM5.3 improved the built in grip aspect over the EM5.2.

- There doesn't seem to be a way to keep the EVF "always on", so there's a slight delay when I bring the camera up to my eye (correct me if I'm wrong). It's a distraction, and I don't like it.
There is- you have to turn off the AUTO-EV/LCD switch. You can do this in the Gear Wheel-> I menu or press and hold the display button and it will bring up the option to set that auto switch on/off. Set it to OFF. After that press the button to select manually between LCD or EVF- the EVF will stay on.
[/quote]

- The camera doesn't automatically switch to "EVF only" when the LCD is turned in towards the body, so there's probably no sensor that registers that. Again, the GX8 does that, so I always leave my LCD/EVF to "LCD only" and let the camera switch when I don't use the LCD.
Correct and it's one of the complaints I highlighted above. Ironic that some Olympus cameras do this. What the hell was Olympus thinking? They said it was easier for video.. somehow (I don't see how). I really hate the idea they prioritized "for video" here if there's validity to it. They should have the option.

- Surprisingly, AF seemed less responsive thatn with the Panasonic. This was with the 17mm f/1.8, and while AF with the GX8 (and most other recent Panasonic bodies that I've used) is almost instant with all primes and fast zooms, this was clearly not.
Not sure I can quite agree with that. Thought the GX8 is a upper-top tier camera.

So no E-M5 for me this time. I also tried the Pen-F (still available here) and E-M1 X, and much of the above go for those cameras too. It's a pity that the GX8 was never replaced. I would have loved one with the G9 specs. Buying a third, second hand body is actually something that I consider.
The PenF single biggest problem is that it is using the 20MP sensor with one generation behind (vs EM5.3/EM1.2) cpu. You can tell it could use a boost. Other than that the PenF has some of the best image quality I have seen in m43rds, to the point that it makes me not envy Fuji. The JPEG engine is fantastic (I still give Fuji the edge though if it comes to metrics).

- Ricardo

raist3d

Ricardo, Jorgen,

I would say if you have the EM1.2 and you like it, and are ok with the size and weight- there's *zero* reason to get the EM5.3. The proposition of the EM5.3 is pretty much "most of the Em1.2 at a lighter smaller size." If that doesn't peek your interest, skip.

The Xpro3 sure feels nice. I just decided if I am going back to Fuji, the best match probably for me is still an XT30, though I wonder how the AF differs.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Yes the X-Pro3 is expensive indeed and currently owning no Fuji glass would even mean more investment. This is the main reason I am currently hesitating.

For the same money one can buy easily a Z7 with 4/24-70 and F mount adapter, that I also could use for my Leica M lenses. Would actually make more sense, but I am still undecided.

Fun factor of the X-Pro3 would be higher for me I guess 😄
If you are going Fuji vs a Z7, I would say you need to consider the OVF, the JPEG color, the overall Fuji interface. If you like that better, then that's a reason to go Fuji.

The Nikon is pretty nice, but also bigger, and the lenses are bigger. Again, tradeoffs. Nikon ergonomics are really good.

There really isn't a "bad" camera now. You have to look at what you prioritize you want and try to match best. Sometimes not so easy (looks at self).
Reason is the camera I really wanted is a "Panasonic Lumix GM9" that will never happen :-(

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you are going Fuji vs a Z7, I would say you need to consider the OVF, the JPEG color, the overall Fuji interface. If you like that better, then that's a reason to go Fuji.

The Nikon is pretty nice, but also bigger, and the lenses are bigger. Again, tradeoffs. Nikon ergonomics are really good.

There really isn't a "bad" camera now. You have to look at what you prioritize you want and try to match best. Sometimes not so easy (looks at self).
Sizes are "relative". Some of the measurments of the Z6/7 are actually smaller than those of the X-Pro3, but the bumps of the Nikon make it bulkier when packing. Lenses is a different story of course, and that also goes for telephoto lenses when comparing Fuji with M43. Look at the Fuji 90mm f/2 compared to the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 as an example.

Reason is the camera I really wanted is a "Panasonic Lumix GM9" that will never happen :-(

- Ricardo
They probably wanted you to buy a GX9. Unfortunately, that camera is neither a GX8 II nor a GM9. While it's a nice camera, it lacks the high-end features of the GX8 (better viewfinder, microphone socket, physical controls etc.) and the size advantage of the GM5, and uses the battery of neither.

From a financial point of view, the only thing that makes sense is to keep what I have and buy the latest model when it's not latest anymore, so this is probably what I'll do. Prices of second hand M43 lenses have fallen a lot lately here in Thailand. To me, that means "buy" not "sell" :ROTFL:

raist3d

Sizes are "relative". Some of the measurments of the Z6/7 are actually smaller than those of the X-Pro3, but the bumps of the Nikon make it bulkier when packing. Lenses is a different story of course, and that also goes for telephoto lenses when comparing Fuji with M43. Look at the Fuji 90mm f/2 compared to the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 as an example.
The lenses on m43rds here are irrelevant. I am talking specifically on Fuji vs the Nikon. The Z7 overall has a higher volume, harder to pack (grip and EVF protrusion). Lenses are bigger than the Fuji- there's zero native lenses for the Nikon right now that are very small though some of those are coming. Fuji has them out already. I stand by my comment on that size.

They probably wanted you to buy a GX9. Unfortunately, that camera is neither a GX8 II nor a GM9. While it's a nice camera, it lacks the high-end features of the GX8 (better viewfinder, microphone socket, physical controls etc.) and the size advantage of the GM5, and uses the battery of neither.
I did get a GX9 which I need to sell now. It has almost all I wanted except GM class size, the fact the rear wheel started to get "jumpy" on me (not good considering the GX850 did the same thing)- and thanks to Ming Thein- the claim that it doesn't focus as exact as say a PenF, which I was able to reproduce to an extent. The EVF is pretty bad as lacking DR (seems like 8-bit/6-bit color) and differs from the LCD>. That said, other than the Rea wheel issue, it's still a nice camera.

From a financial point of view, the only thing that makes sense is to keep what I have and buy the latest model when it's not latest anymore, so this is probably what I'll do. Prices of second hand M43 lenses have fallen a lot lately here in Thailand. To me, that means "buy" not "sell" :ROTFL:
:)

Anyway, I was replying to Ptomsu on Fuji vs the Nikon.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
WRT second hand m43 glass - this is indeed very cheap now - e.g. my dealer has a used Olympus 2.8/40-150 with TC1.4 for less than €800.- in excellent condition.

All this made me decide already some time ago to just keep my m43 gear because I would loose so much money now when selling.

That also means I will only add some kit - and I am pretty open and free about what that could be:

1) I very much like the idea of adding an X-Pro3 with some selected lenses as I always liked Fuji and would love to get back again into that ecosystem

2) FF Nikon Z series - there are some interesting lenses on their roadmap (a native Z 80-400) but not sure if I would like to get back into Nikon again

3) FF Canon RF - these lenses make me jaw drop but they are big - and there will be new RF mount cameras - overall I really like their RF concept so far

4) FF Sony FE mount - that would be the easiest to get a FF mirrorless with the latest and greatest AF (and I guess that will also remain like that) but I kind of am not sure if I should start with Sony again - was pretty much burned with their A-mount some years ago and have not forgotten that

What I almost know for sure I will not go L-mount - cameras and lenses too big and heavy and on top of that Leica just way over my financial capabilities to build a somehow complete system (and maintain it in future)

So from all that freedom ..... what to do with it ...... Fuji keeps coming back somehow as maybe the most interesting and perfect solution for me.

Sorry for writing all this in an EM5III thread - but hey, maybe the new EM1.3 that comes in early 2020 will be so mind-blowing that I could just stay with m43?

Who knows, but I will definitely know a few months down the road :cool:;):thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry for writing all this in an EM5III thread - but hey, maybe the new EM1.3 that comes in early 2020 will be so mind-blowing that I could just stay with m43?
I'm sure it will. The I and II both were :thumbup:

There's a mint Panasonic S1 with the 24-105mm for sale locally here btw., for $2,300. Very tempting.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Panasonic L mount is simply not selling.

- Ricardo
This is more or less what I also feel! At least here in Austria not much interest in the community.

All is still Nikon and Canon WRT FF and of course Sony for those who think more out of the box and dare to enter new land :cool:

retow

I'm sure it will. The I and II both were :thumbup:

There's a mint Panasonic S1 with the 24-105mm for sale locally here btw., for $2,300. Very tempting.
You know the saying. Don't try to catch falling knifes. L-mount prices will head only one way. On paper the L-mount alliance convinces. In reality though, size and weight of what they want an aging FF camera customer base to lug around will hardly find a lot of buyers.