The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Em5iii

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You know the saying. Don't try to catch falling knifes. L-mount prices will head only one way. On paper the L-mount alliance convinces. In reality though, size and weight of what they want an aging FF camera customer base to lug around will hardly find a lot of buyers.
Also fully agree :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

First the L-mount Leica lenses (and cameras) were (are) far too heavy for my taste, then the L-mount alliance members started doing the same with super heavy lenses (especially looking at you Sigma, but also Panasonic) and then these heavyweight S1/S1R - no thanks!

Quality may just be outstanding, but I never ever will be willing to carry these sizes and weights around!

And YES, I am aging obviously and I almost never ever will shoot studio anymore where I would not mind size and weight.

Sony and Nikon are currently doing much better in the weight and size fraction, Canon not so much as their new RF lenses are ALL very much on the heavy side.

So if I will ever go back to FF it will be either Sony or Nikon - we will see, but again, the Fuji X system is looking better and better for me and my needs!

Last edited:

kdphotography

....the Fuji X system is looking better and better for me and my needs!
Although I like the compact form factor of the Olympus, I finally decided on the XT3. The XT30 is similar in size to the Olympus, but I did not like how the XT30 felt in hand nor did I like the dumbing down of the controls/knobs/interface. The Olympus felt better in hand than the XT30, even though they are similar in size. But the XT3 fit the bill better as a small travel camera for me---and I've since posted my full spectrum Fuji GFX50s up for sale.

Ken

Last edited:

PeterA

Although I like the compact form factor of the Olympus, I finally decided on the XT3. The XT30 is similar in size to the Olympus, but I did not like how it felt in hand nor did I like the dumbing down of the controls/knobs/interface. The Olympus felt better in hand than the XT30. But the XT3 fit the bill better as a small travel camera for me---and I've since posted by full spectrum Fuji GFX50s up for sale.

Ken
You'll enjoy the XT-3 Ken - punches way above its weight and C1 does an excellent job with its files.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Although I like the compact form factor of the Olympus, I finally decided on the XT3. The XT30 is similar in size to the Olympus, but I did not like how the XT30 felt in hand nor did I like the dumbing down of the controls/knobs/interface. The Olympus felt better in hand than the XT30, even though they are similar in size. But the XT3 fit the bill better as a small travel camera for me---and I've since posted my full spectrum Fuji GFX50s up for sale.

Ken
Ken,

I am sure this was a very good decision. The X-T3 is one of the most capable non FF cameras today and the whole Fuji X system is just marvellous.

I today handled the X-Pro3 again and this camera is really making me want one. So I might pull the trigger sooner than later with 1 or 2 Fuji lenses (probably 2/23 and 2/35). And this camera is so fast in just every aspect! And it is so small and light - even compared to the Olympus EM1.2 with some of the Pro lenses. One of the main issues with Olympus non-Pro lenses for me is that they feel really plastic and low quality to me although most of them are optically excellent, which makes me stay with the much more heavier and expensive Pro lenses. With Fuji that is totally different, all of their X lenses feel high quality and optically they are anyway!

Enjoy your new X-T3 and hoping for some images once in a while!

Peter

DHart

I tried the E-M5 III yesterday, and while it's a beautiful little camera with great specs, I was a bit disappointed. My basis for comparison is the GX8 that I use on a daily basis:

- The shorter body with the shallow grip makes the ergonomics suffer. It's simply more difficult to reach vital functions with the right hand, and there are fewer physical buttons and switches. Also, the E-M5 can't hang from two fingers like the GX8 can.
- There doesn't seem to be a way to keep the EVF "always on", so there's a slight delay when I bring the camera up to my eye (correct me if I'm wrong). It's a distraction, and I don't like it.
- The camera doesn't automatically switch to "EVF only" when the LCD is turned in towards the body, so there's probably no sensor that registers that. Again, the GX8 does that, so I always leave my LCD/EVF to "LCD only" and let the camera switch when I don't use the LCD.
- Surprisingly, AF seemed less responsive thatn with the Panasonic. This was with the 17mm f/1.8, and while AF with the GX8 (and most other recent Panasonic bodies that I've used) is almost instant with all primes and fast zooms, this was clearly not.

So no E-M5 for me this time. I also tried the Pen-F (still available here) and E-M1 X, and much of the above go for those cameras too. It's a pity that the GX8 was never replaced. I would have loved one with the G9 specs. Buying a third, second hand body is actually something that I consider.
Jorgen... our preferences are quite aligned. Once I got the GX8, when it first came out, I've been spoiled by it to the point that I haven't found another camera that I like better since! It's a stellar home-run camera. Ergonomics are A+. IQ fantastic. Size, weight, form factor couldn't be better. EVF is amazing. And, I so agree that Panasonic has not done a proper replacement model for it. The GX9 does not measure up. The G9 is reportedly stellar, but lacks the magical GX8 form factor.

My camera gear lust has been on vacation since buying the GX8, which after many years of repeated camera buying, has a great thing for the pocket book. But there is that nagging little bug inside me which would like to see a G9 in the same form factor as the GX8, same EVF, same articulating screen, same top mounted Exp Comp dial (which I LOVE).

Even though the GX8 fully meets my needs and I just LOVE that camera, I just have the itch to buy another camera! :ROTFL: It's been several YEARS!!!

Perhaps Panasonic will answer my prayers and produce a worthy successor to the GX8 this year. If not, perhaps I will just get a G9 and see if it can win me over? Much prefer the rangefinder format of the GX8, however.

raist3d

Something I took last weekend and a bit of story...

Last weekend on a whim decided to go to the Golden Gate late at night and try to take an interesting shot of it. I consider that a challenge since this bridge has been photographed a billion times.

So by 12:30 AM or around, I was there. I took with me the 15mm F1.7 Panny Leica and the 45 mm F1.8 with me- thinking I would get close to the bridge and use the wide angle to pull out some interesting perspectives- but only to find that the bridge was closed to pedestrians.

Surprisingly enough bikers coming from the other side into the city of San Francisco could come in, having an automatic gate that would open with one of those garage strident alarms, and close right after they were through it.

I also saw

- 5 raccoons total looking for food in the trash

- 2-3 groups of young adults, one of which had a girl lose a phone, which when I was about to leave I helped a bit search and gave tips using find my phone etc. Phone was surprisingly found by one of the stairs- they thought they lost it, but I was betting since there were not that many people their phone was lying around.

I suggested that she should check her pocket pants, and effectively, she was wearing one of those jeans with wear and holes... lesson (hopefully) learned.

- 3 bikers come through the gate I mentioned

- 1 couple that when I was approaching one of the areas to view the gate from, the guy embraced the gall, and lifted her off the ground- a framing between concrete structures... that I missed to take a shot of because I hesitated - with regret later. I don' think they would have minded one bit being so happy.

After realizing that the wide angle lens would have been kind of useless at the distance I was, for the sort of shot I wanted, I used the 45mm. Ironically I think my favorite focal- the 25mm (50mm equiv) would have done a bit better.

I still like the shot. 6 second exposures, F3.5, ISO 200.

A mild drop to around 45 megapixels from 50 (or 70mp from 80 mp if you want to count the 80 MP raw file).

Black and white because though the orange of the gate and red lights underneath have some nice color, I found it separated too much from the right where the lights were blue/white and colder. Breaking the line of lights-flow. Also the red would be in that shadow under the bridge making it a bit distracting.

This is the kind of situation that I find myself in that I don't know what I would get exactly, and I may go back several times and try different things.

- Ricardo

pegelli

Nice shot and stories Ricardo, and the B&W works well. Gives a special mood for this well known landmark.

Have you tried a vertical shot with the 45 mm as well? That would show a bit more of the front pylon. And if you didn't want to lose the lights on the right you could have made two frames and stitched them together. Just a thought.

raist3d

The mini tripod I had didn't allow for a portrait shot. Need another tripod for that.

I normally don't do stitching, but I see your point. Thanks for the look.

- Ricardo