The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

I

IanFildes

Hello,

For a while i've been looking for a way to use a pristine OM 55mm 1.2 on my G1.

R.J (Jinfinance) emailed me last night that his MA1 (micro4/3<->4/3) replacement should be available on Monday for around 1/3 of the cost of the "official" version.

That coupled with his 4/3 MF1 replacement should get me in business :clap:

There is also a useful listing detailing some of the available G1 adapters in this post at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=31551183

Regards,

Ian

monza

Is RJ's version of the DMW-MA1 a full equivalent with electrical contacts, or just a mechanical adapter for adapting manual lenses?

pentacon6

Since Panasonic requires the user to update firmware with adapter that means electronic parts in the ring and the contact points of M4/3 and 4/3 is different. Let me guess, I think auto focus might not be possible. But it is good enough for using 4/3 adapter for those manual lens. If 1/3 is the exact price to the genius ring, then USD$60 is expected. Any way, it is more economic than buying single adapter for one kind of lens only.

Last edited:
I

IanFildes

R.J.'s replacement will be a mechanical adapter only. His email did not specify a price, but noted that it should be about 1/3rd of the cost of the "official" adapter.

Give that the panasonic MA1 sells here for $199cdn, that should put it in the $60 - $65usd range.

btrancho

R.J. has emailed me that it is ready now...

it's $79.5 ea. free standard shipping, or add $6.95 for express mail (5~8 days)...
This makes it about 1/2 the price of the seemingly unavailable Panny MA1.

E

ekso

Cheers. However I dont think he's laoded up an item. I'll email him.

btrancho

I should have included the entire text of Jin's email:

it's $79.5 ea. free standard shipping, or add $6.95 for express mail (5~8 days)... can you send me a direct paypal payment? my paypal account is the same as this email: [email protected]
Just be sure to specify the M4/3 to 4/3 adapter in your PayPal payment

I

IanFildes

There are two listings for the MA1 replacement.

4/3 <--> micro4/3 for $79.50US + expedited shipping $7.35US
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-3-to-Panasoni...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

4/3 <--> micro4/3 with two 4/3 adapters for $110US + expedited shipping $7.35US
MA1 + any two of the following :-
M42 screw - 4/3 (this one is of better quality, not the all-black one listed in my ebay store)
Nikon F - 4/3
Olympus OM - 4/3
Pentax PK - 4/3
Contax CY - 4/3
Leica R - 4/3
Minolta MD - 4/3
Tamron AD2 - 4/3 (a bit loose when coupled with this adapter)
T2 - 4/3
Kiev60 (P6) - 4/3
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-OM-MD-CY-...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

E

ekso

Thanks for the links. I was hoping he'd do a canon FD as part of the bundle too.

Diane B

Thanks for the links. I was hoping he'd do a canon FD as part of the bundle too.
Ekso, I don't think he did because (I looked at these quickly) all of those secondary adaptors rely on using the 4/3rds adaptor as the first adaptor--and the others are 'stacked' on--if you notice, for instance--an M to 4/3rds--that means that the 4/3rds to m4/3ds adaptor will be the one mounted to the camera, the M to 4/3rds will be mounted to the first adaptor--then the M mount lens to the M adaptor. The FD is a standalone adaptor (simply FD to m4/3rds). Unless you need to stack a second adaptor, the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor won't mean much to you. He realizes that the MA1isn't of value to a G1 owner unless he wants to use it for the 'bridge' adaptor for the other adaptors.

At least that's my take on his 'package'.

Diane

monza

He has a direct FD adapter; there is no way to support Canon FD in conjunction with a DMW-MA1 equivalent, the FD lens registry is too short for that.

Also in addition to the new DMW-MA1 replacement, he's now offering a direct Leica R adapter.

E

ekso

Diane/Monza: what you say makes sense. I would be better off with the FD convertor only.

Diane, is that the one you have for your FD lenses ?

M

Mingjai

Diane/Monza: what you say makes sense. I would be better off with the FD convertor only.

Diane, is that the one you have for your FD lenses ?
I'm not Diane, but I do I have one of his FD adapters--got it back in early February. It works great and focuses just past infinity.

E

ekso

Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

Ekso

Diane B

Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

Ekso
Not Mingai but....Ekso, I was quick on the draw and wanted one fast so bought the early FD adaptor--the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor. Had I waited I could have bought FD adaptors for 1/2 the price--many are pleased with the jinfinance adaptor, so I would say go with that.

There are so many FD lenses--there is a good site that gives you lots of info about them
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm
I was interested in keeping my size/weight reasonable so generally selected (after checking size/weight on the FD site) the f/2.8s. Probably if I had it to do over, I would have bought the 24/2 and maybe the 35/2 instead of the f/2.8s but the f/2.8s are very nice and smaller than the f/2s. I also have the 50 f/1.8--I'd recommend the f/1.4--but I already owned the 1.8. I also bought the 135 f/2.8 which I like a lot--and am using it more than I expected.

I now have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 in transit (will have to have converted to use with 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor) because I like the 35 f/2.8 so much. Its my most used FD lens--but there is nothing in the FDs this fast in this FL range--unless you can find a 35 f/2--not quite as fast, but judging from my f/2.8 probably quite nice.

Diane

apicius9

FWIW, I had picked up the Canon FD adapter on ebay from the gentleman in Poland and it works fine with my 50/1.4 and the older 85/1.8 I had picked up, also on ebay. Recently I got an older version of the 28/2.0 in but I haven't had a chance to play with it, yet.

I had decided to focus on Canon FDs & cine lenses so I got direct adapters for those. But I also have an older Tamron lens (28-85 SP Macro) that I can connect to my FD adapter, and I just got in a Leica thread mount to c-mount adapter and want to see whether my old Leica Hektor 135/4.5 from the thirties will work with that. Finally, I have one Leica R lens I would like to try on the G1, a 50/2 Summicron R, and I am currently trying to decide what to do about that, i.e. the one or the two adapter solution. The 2-adapter one would give me more options in the future but I think I'm done buying at the moment anyway. And how much do I want to invest to get that one more lens on my camera. Afte that, only a nice macro prime lens for some time later is on my list. I would love to get the Switar 75/1.9 Macro but that is moving steadily out of my price range. :(

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that one can get swept away a bit by the all the opportunities that the G1 opens reg. alternative lenses...

Stefan

Diane B

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that one can get swept away a bit by the all the opportunities that the G1 opens reg. alternative lenses...

Stefan

Yes, I say with a smile. I did buy the Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds (MA1) adaptor to use with the Oly 9-18, but I did rationalize that purchase because I felt I would perhaps be able to find that (at least) one more fast lens in a FL I like. I was able to do that--the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 but I'm probably finished buying for a bit now also. The Panasonic 20 f/1.7 may finish what I really feel I need--along, of course, with the FD lenses I have. Since I bought all at extremely reasonable prices (say 'cheap'), then I don't feel badly about it and have thoroughly enjoyed shooting with them. I have disciplined myself to NOT look at any of the 'exotic' lenses LOL.

Diane