Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

  1. #1
    IanFildes
    Guest

    Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Hello,

    For a while i've been looking for a way to use a pristine OM 55mm 1.2 on my G1.

    R.J (Jinfinance) emailed me last night that his MA1 (micro4/3<->4/3) replacement should be available on Monday for around 1/3 of the cost of the "official" version.

    That coupled with his 4/3 MF1 replacement should get me in business

    There is also a useful listing detailing some of the available G1 adapters in this post at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31551183

    Regards,

    Ian

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Is RJ's version of the DMW-MA1 a full equivalent with electrical contacts, or just a mechanical adapter for adapting manual lenses?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Since Panasonic requires the user to update firmware with adapter that means electronic parts in the ring and the contact points of M4/3 and 4/3 is different. Let me guess, I think auto focus might not be possible. But it is good enough for using 4/3 adapter for those manual lens. If 1/3 is the exact price to the genius ring, then USD$60 is expected. Any way, it is more economic than buying single adapter for one kind of lens only.
    Last edited by pentacon6; 11th April 2009 at 00:38.

  4. #4
    IanFildes
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    R.J.'s replacement will be a mechanical adapter only. His email did not specify a price, but noted that it should be about 1/3rd of the cost of the "official" adapter.

    Give that the panasonic MA1 sells here for $199cdn, that should put it in the $60 - $65usd range.

  5. #5
    Member btrancho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    R.J. has emailed me that it is ready now...

    it's $79.5 ea. free standard shipping, or add $6.95 for express mail (5~8 days)...
    This makes it about 1/2 the price of the seemingly unavailable Panny MA1.

  6. #6
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by btrancho View Post
    R.J. has emailed me that it is ready now...



    This makes it about 1/2 the price of the seemingly unavailable Panny MA1.
    Any ebay links ?
    I am assuming he only sells via ebay.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    Any ebay links ?
    I am assuming he only sells via ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RJ-camera-a...sxQ3asstQQtZkm

  8. #8
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Cheers. However I dont think he's laoded up an item. I'll email him.

  9. #9
    Member btrancho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    I should have included the entire text of Jin's email:

    it's $79.5 ea. free standard shipping, or add $6.95 for express mail (5~8 days)... can you send me a direct paypal payment? my paypal account is the same as this email: [email protected]
    Just be sure to specify the M4/3 to 4/3 adapter in your PayPal payment

  10. #10
    IanFildes
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    There are two listings for the MA1 replacement.

    4/3 <--> micro4/3 for $79.50US + expedited shipping $7.35US
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-3-to-Panasonic...3A1%7C294%3A50

    4/3 <--> micro4/3 with two 4/3 adapters for $110US + expedited shipping $7.35US
    MA1 + any two of the following :-
    M42 screw - 4/3 (this one is of better quality, not the all-black one listed in my ebay store)
    Nikon F - 4/3
    Olympus OM - 4/3
    Pentax PK - 4/3
    Contax CY - 4/3
    Leica R - 4/3
    Minolta MD - 4/3
    Tamron AD2 - 4/3 (a bit loose when coupled with this adapter)
    T2 - 4/3
    Kiev60 (P6) - 4/3
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-OM-MD-CY-M...3A1%7C294%3A50

  11. #11
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Thanks for the links. I was hoping he'd do a canon FD as part of the bundle too.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    Thanks for the links. I was hoping he'd do a canon FD as part of the bundle too.
    Ekso, I don't think he did because (I looked at these quickly) all of those secondary adaptors rely on using the 4/3rds adaptor as the first adaptor--and the others are 'stacked' on--if you notice, for instance--an M to 4/3rds--that means that the 4/3rds to m4/3ds adaptor will be the one mounted to the camera, the M to 4/3rds will be mounted to the first adaptor--then the M mount lens to the M adaptor. The FD is a standalone adaptor (simply FD to m4/3rds). Unless you need to stack a second adaptor, the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor won't mean much to you. He realizes that the MA1isn't of value to a G1 owner unless he wants to use it for the 'bridge' adaptor for the other adaptors.

    At least that's my take on his 'package'.

    Diane

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    He has a direct FD adapter; there is no way to support Canon FD in conjunction with a DMW-MA1 equivalent, the FD lens registry is too short for that.

    Also in addition to the new DMW-MA1 replacement, he's now offering a direct Leica R adapter.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    He's also got rear lens caps for micro 4/3.

  15. #15
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Diane/Monza: what you say makes sense. I would be better off with the FD convertor only.

    Diane, is that the one you have for your FD lenses ?

  16. #16
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    Diane/Monza: what you say makes sense. I would be better off with the FD convertor only.

    Diane, is that the one you have for your FD lenses ?
    I'm not Diane, but I do I have one of his FD adapters--got it back in early February. It works great and focuses just past infinity.

  17. #17
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

    Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

    Ekso

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

    Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

    Ekso
    Not Mingai but....Ekso, I was quick on the draw and wanted one fast so bought the early FD adaptor--the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor. Had I waited I could have bought FD adaptors for 1/2 the price--many are pleased with the jinfinance adaptor, so I would say go with that.

    There are so many FD lenses--there is a good site that gives you lots of info about them
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm
    I was interested in keeping my size/weight reasonable so generally selected (after checking size/weight on the FD site) the f/2.8s. Probably if I had it to do over, I would have bought the 24/2 and maybe the 35/2 instead of the f/2.8s but the f/2.8s are very nice and smaller than the f/2s. I also have the 50 f/1.8--I'd recommend the f/1.4--but I already owned the 1.8. I also bought the 135 f/2.8 which I like a lot--and am using it more than I expected.

    I now have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 in transit (will have to have converted to use with 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor) because I like the 35 f/2.8 so much. Its my most used FD lens--but there is nothing in the FDs this fast in this FL range--unless you can find a 35 f/2--not quite as fast, but judging from my f/2.8 probably quite nice.

    Diane

  19. #19
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    FWIW, I had picked up the Canon FD adapter on ebay from the gentleman in Poland and it works fine with my 50/1.4 and the older 85/1.8 I had picked up, also on ebay. Recently I got an older version of the 28/2.0 in but I haven't had a chance to play with it, yet.

    I had decided to focus on Canon FDs & cine lenses so I got direct adapters for those. But I also have an older Tamron lens (28-85 SP Macro) that I can connect to my FD adapter, and I just got in a Leica thread mount to c-mount adapter and want to see whether my old Leica Hektor 135/4.5 from the thirties will work with that. Finally, I have one Leica R lens I would like to try on the G1, a 50/2 Summicron R, and I am currently trying to decide what to do about that, i.e. the one or the two adapter solution. The 2-adapter one would give me more options in the future but I think I'm done buying at the moment anyway. And how much do I want to invest to get that one more lens on my camera. Afte that, only a nice macro prime lens for some time later is on my list. I would love to get the Switar 75/1.9 Macro but that is moving steadily out of my price range.

    I guess what I'm really trying to say is that one can get swept away a bit by the all the opportunities that the G1 opens reg. alternative lenses...

    Stefan

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I guess what I'm really trying to say is that one can get swept away a bit by the all the opportunities that the G1 opens reg. alternative lenses...

    Stefan

    Yes, I say with a smile. I did buy the Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds (MA1) adaptor to use with the Oly 9-18, but I did rationalize that purchase because I felt I would perhaps be able to find that (at least) one more fast lens in a FL I like. I was able to do that--the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 but I'm probably finished buying for a bit now also. The Panasonic 20 f/1.7 may finish what I really feel I need--along, of course, with the FD lenses I have. Since I bought all at extremely reasonable prices (say 'cheap'), then I don't feel badly about it and have thoroughly enjoyed shooting with them. I have disciplined myself to NOT look at any of the 'exotic' lenses LOL.

    Diane

  21. #21
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Well, originally I thought I'd be happy with just the Canon lenses, my Summicron and the 20/17 in the future, but then I got fascinated by this whole cine lens craze. I probably shouldn't even say this because it just shows how nuts I am, but I have snapped up a collection of around - aehh - 50 c-mount cine or Kodak lenses (well, a few are TV lenses) from a recent auction that are hopefully on the way to me now. Among them are several fast ones I want for myself, and I hope to pass most of the others on with just enough profit so I can cover some expenses for my own lenses - without asking the absurd prices some sellers on ebay seem to be dreaming about these days...

    Stefan

  22. #22
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by ekso View Post
    Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

    Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

    Ekso
    Sorry for the slow response on this--

    I currently have 3 FD lenses, two of which see regular use. Here's my current lineup:

    Canon 50mm f/1.4 (bayonet)
    Canon 24mm f/2
    Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f/2

    The two Canons comprise my daily, around town kit. While very compact, they are quite dense, so I'm not sure if they'll make my travel kit.

    I originally wasn't planning on picking up either of the 24mm lenses. I found the Vivitar in almost brand-new condition in original box for a steal. A few days later, I found the Canon and got a great deal on it because it has some slight, non-IQ-affecting scratches on the coating of the front element (in areas outside of the sensor coverage anyway).

    Optically, the Canon 24mm is great, even wide open, though it does suffer from some CA as you'd expect from a wide angle lens. By comparison, the Vivitar has a soft, diffuse effect wide open (might be good for retro-looking portraits), but is sharp stopped down to around f/4.

    I also have a Hexanon AR 40 f/1.8, which I use with my Panasonic 4/3s adapter. It's a great, sharp lens, and I use it about as much as the FD 50 f/1.4. My two minor complaints with the Hexanon are, first, that you can't set the aperture to half-stops, so in application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results. The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape (see HERE), which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4 (HERE) Again, it's a great and compact lens, and probably will be in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness.
    Last edited by Mingjai; 15th April 2009 at 07:51.

  23. #23
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Not Mingai but....Ekso, I was quick on the draw and wanted one fast so bought the early FD adaptor--the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor. Had I waited I could have bought FD adaptors for 1/2 the price--many are pleased with the jinfinance adaptor, so I would say go with that.

    There are so many FD lenses--there is a good site that gives you lots of info about them
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm
    I was interested in keeping my size/weight reasonable so generally selected (after checking size/weight on the FD site) the f/2.8s. Probably if I had it to do over, I would have bought the 24/2 and maybe the 35/2 instead of the f/2.8s but the f/2.8s are very nice and smaller than the f/2s. I also have the 50 f/1.8--I'd recommend the f/1.4--but I already owned the 1.8. I also bought the 135 f/2.8 which I like a lot--and am using it more than I expected.

    I now have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 in transit (will have to have converted to use with 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor) because I like the 35 f/2.8 so much. Its my most used FD lens--but there is nothing in the FDs this fast in this FL range--unless you can find a 35 f/2--not quite as fast, but judging from my f/2.8 probably quite nice.

    Diane
    Diane,
    thanks for the advise...I had my eyes on an ebay item. I am now the proud owner of a Canon 50mm f1.4 and and 28mm f.2.0 FD lenses.
    Next stop jinfinance for the FD to m4/3 adaptor.

    Can't wait.

  24. #24
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    Sorry for the slow response on this--

    I currently have 3 FD lenses, two of which see regular use. Here's my current lineup:

    Canon 50mm f/1.4 (bayonet)
    Canon 24mm f/2
    Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f/2

    The two Canons comprise my daily, around town kit. While very compact, they are quite dense, so I'm not sure if they'll make my travel kit.

    I originally wasn't planning on picking up either of the 24mm lenses. I found the Vivitar in almost brand-new condition in original box for a steal. A few days later, I found the Canon and got a great deal on it because it has some slight, non-IQ-affecting scratches on the coating of the front element (in areas outside of the sensor coverage anyway).

    Optically, the Canon 24mm is great, even wide open, though it does suffer from some CA as you'd expect from a wide angle lens. By comparison, the Vivitar has a soft, diffuse effect wide open (might be good for retro-looking portraits), but is sharp stopped down to around f/4.

    I also have a Hexanon AR 40 f/1.8, which I use with my Panasonic 4/3s adapter. It's a great, sharp lens, and I use it about as much as the FD 50 f/1.4. My two minor complaints with the Hexanon are, first, that you can't set the aperture to half-stops, so in application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results. The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape (see HERE), which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4 (HERE) Again, it's a great and compact lens, and probably will be in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness.
    Mingjai, as you can see, I have now purchased similar FD. Would really liekt o see some photos of comparision between your two 24mm....

  25. #25
    milapse
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    I sort of don't see the point of this adapter if you can't use the autofocus and aperture (aka non aperture ring 4/3 lenses) functions? Guess it's just for people who have the 4/3 adapters for their manual lenses already and they want a quick adapt to micro 4/3??

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    I guess buying the 4/3 to micro 4/3 plus the various adapters to 4/3 can be cheaper than buying several direct adapters...for example Leica, Nikon, OM to 4/3 are only about $25 each from various suppliers, whereas direct adapters to micro 4/3 are higher priced.

    I know that I used the Panasonic DMW-MA1 strictly on adapted lenses, as I did not have any autofocus Pana or Olympus lenses.

  27. #27
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oestrich-Winkel, Germany
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Well folks,

    unfortunately there are almost no testing-reports of adapters for the usage of different lenses on 4/3.

    In a german forum you can find a test comparing 2 different brands. Apparently there may be differences not only in quality, in functionality too. So the cheaper product must not always be the better deal.

    Here is the link to the test, it is written in german language:
    http://www.forum-fourthirds.de/tests...glichkeit.html

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterMann View Post
    Well folks,

    unfortunately there are almost no testing-reports of adapters for the usage of different lenses on 4/3.

    In a german forum you can find a test (...)
    That could have been interesting. Now I don't want to register just to read it. I did however see that you may win a price if really many from here registers. That is with no doubt a sort of spam, but good for those inclined to register and read German.

    You can improve the chances that I'll register by posting a summary in English here.

  29. #29
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oestrich-Winkel, Germany
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Sorry Jonas for causing this confusion,
    no my posting is no kind of spam .
    I myself must have been registered at this forum http://www.forum-fourthirds.de/ already before the test was being published, so I just did not notice the requirement of registering ro read the test. By the way the price that could be won by registering is given away weeks ago due to expiry of the term.

    Inbetween Novoflex has published the test on its website for you to watch at, without suspected registering http://www.novoflex.com/de/info/down...t-adapter.pdf/ - of course since the Novoflex part had a better testing result compared to the one made in China (?). Nevertheless in german language, but with illustrations

    Short summary which you requested, my english is lousy, I apologise ahead for the mistakes.
    The conclusion of the test is, that the Novoflex part is built more exactly (for objects in distance infinity only with the Novoflex the resulting pictures have been best at open aperture) and is for some reasons easier to handle (for example the dots as indicators for the mounting of the adaptor to the G1 are marked in a badly visible place on the non-Novoflex).

    I hope I could give you some more informations about my impressions of this issue, and I send friendly greetings to the Far North

  30. #30
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Yep, OldMan's comments sum it up. The comparison uses Voigtlander lenses to compare the Novoflex Leica M and M39 adapter with an adapter you can get on a website in Germany - most likely one of the Chinese ones, but it remains unclear which one. They plan more tests of other m4/3 items in the future, so that might be interesting.

    BTW, greetings nach Oestrich - some of the best German wines come from that little town. Some nice dry Rheingau Riesling is one of the few things I miss out here in Hawaii

    Stefan

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    How much does the Novoflex sell for in Germany? In the USA, retail is over $300, and MAP price is $271. I guess that explains why no one sells it in the US.

  32. #32
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    How much does the Novoflex sell for in Germany? In the USA, retail is over $300, and MAP price is $271. I guess that explains why no one sells it in the US.
    The Novoflex Leica M seems to be 149 Euros in Germany.

    Stefan

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterMann View Post
    Sorry Jonas for causing this confusion,
    no my posting is no kind of spam .
    (...)
    I hope I could give you some more informations about my impressions of this issue, and I send friendly greetings to the Far North
    I read it all, carefully, old man. Friendly greetings are great and in return i would like to wish you good light.

    Thank you,

    --
    Jonas

  34. #34
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oestrich-Winkel, Germany
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    How much does the Novoflex sell for in Germany? In the USA, retail is over $300, and MAP price is $271. I guess that explains why no one sells it in the US.
    Hi folks,
    the prices in Euro for the Novoflex Adaptors in Germany are (including german VAT):
    Leica M = 149 Euro
    Leica R, Minolta MD, Canon FD, Contax/Yashica CY = these are 119 each
    M42 = 89 Euro
    announced are Olympus-OM 119 Euro,
    and expected to be available Juni 2009 are
    MFT/MIN-AF for Sony/Minolta-AF
    MFT/NIK for Nikon
    MFT/PENT for Pentax
    (prices are not yet published, I guess around 150 Euro.

    Hope I could help you with these informations - 300 US-Dollar is simply rediculous

  35. #35
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    I'm not Diane, but I do I have one of his FD adapters--got it back in early February. It works great and focuses just past infinity.
    "focuses just past infinity"...is that a good thing or bad ?

    ( I am not good with the science, so apologies if this comes acroess as a silly question, I am genuine about my query.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all. It's very difficult to get these adapters fine tuned *absolutely* (so the lens stops turning right at infinity.) Given the trade-offs it's therefore best to be just a tad past infinity. This means the close-focus point of the lens will be a tad further from the camera, however.

    Now, how much is a tad, exactly?

  37. #37
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: Infinity

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all.

    Now, how much is a tad, exactly?
    Also remember that different lenses will "show" different figures on the barrel for when you see infinity on your screen. My 16mm Fisheye Nikkor is focused at infinity on the G1 with the Jinfinance Adapters when at just 4ft or 1.3 metres, with a 200mm lens it will be practically on the infinity mark - no big deal, just as long as infinity is there somewhere!

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    What can I say LOL??? Someone mentioned that jinfinance had an EF to m4/3rds adaptor (w/o electrical contacts). That started me thinking---I have a Lensbaby that I've used hardly at all--bought it several years ago, but decided it might be interesting with the G1. I tried it last night in front of the G1 (used the FD adaptor which isn't correct length, but better) and think it will work just fine. I also tried a 28 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 (of course, all of these are wide open only) and they are terrific--even with me holding them. I then thought of my 15 f/2.8 FE--maybe fun also. Its still a relatively cheap way to add lenses that will allow some different looks.

    Diane

  39. #39
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all. It's very difficult to get these adapters fine tuned *absolutely* (so the lens stops turning right at infinity.) Given the trade-offs it's therefore best to be just a tad past infinity. This means the close-focus point of the lens will be a tad further from the camera, however.

    Now, how much is a tad, exactly?
    Thanks Monza, that is good info.

    Ekso

  40. #40
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterMann View Post
    Well folks,

    unfortunately there are almost no testing-reports of adapters for the usage of different lenses on 4/3.
    except of course my blog ...

    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05...er-for-g1.html

    and more to come

    :-)

  41. #41
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Infinity

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    - no big deal, just as long as infinity is there somewhere!
    exactly

    also, the shorter the focal lenght, the more it matters ...

    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/04...ity-focus.html

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •