The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Coming Oly 300/4 Pro price increase

bensonga

FYI for anyone like me who has wanted this lens....

The price here in the USA will be going up by $400 in February 2020. I have wanted this lens for quite awhile, but have been waiting/hoping for a lens rebate greater than the usual $200. A friend of mine often says "Spend now to save!" That certainly applies in this case.

Prices of the three f1.2 Pro primes (17/25/45) will also be going up in February. Thankfully, I already have those.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Info is from a friend who manages a camera store. He knows I’ve been waiting for a lower price on this lens, so when he received a notice of upcoming rebate programs and price increases from Olympus he let me know about it.

Perhaps there are US tariffs being applied to Japanese cameras or lenses in 2020 of which I’m not aware. Alternatively, Olympus needs to increase revenue from declining sales or higher costs? That’s a 16% increase on the 300/4 Pro lens.

So, if I am finally going to buy this lens, it will certainly be in the next couple of months. I expect the upcoming 150-400mm lens will be much more expensive and larger.

Gary

k-hawinkler

Thanks Gary and good luck with your purchase.
I have the 300/4 Pro. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :salute:

bensonga

I joined GetDPI in May 2008. In the 11+ years since then, I’ve bought a lot of cameras, lenses, tripods etc. I still own most of that gear.

Today, I picked up the 300/4 Pro from my local camera shop, Stewarts Photo. Looking back over the past 11+ years, I realized this is the most expensive lens I have ever purchased.

I know that $2300 is almost chump change by many standards, but it was a significant mental hurdle for me to spent this much on a single lens.

Well, it is done now. The 300 Pro was the last lens on the wish list for my Olympus system. It should be an excellent match for my E-M1X. When I retire next year and have more time to get out and take photos, I will have no excuses for not putting this outstanding lens to use.

Gary

Last edited:

Shashin

I know that $2300 is almost chump change by many standards, but it was a significant mental hurdle for me to spent this much on a single lens.
But you would have spent that on something else, but now you have something you really want. I have found those items that have cost the most, were the ones most used. Now I have kind of the opposite philosophy were I hate buy inexpensive things on impulse because they use funds I will want for something more important. (Not that my wife is counting... :toocool:)

k-hawinkler

Well the Olympus 300/4 Pro with adapters is worthwhile having.
It requires an E-M1.2 level camera or better to avoid focus hunting. :facesmack:

bensonga

It should work very well with my E-M1X, but I’m also interested to see how well it works with my Pana G9. For me, if the EM1X had the viewfinder of the G9, it would be the best of both cameras.

Does anyone have experience using the Oly 300/4 or the 40-150/2.8 on the G9 or other relatively new Panasonic cameras? I’m especially curious to know how well the Olympus lens image stabilization would work. I generally just use my Olympus lenses on the Oly cameras (EM1.1 and EM1X) and Panasonic lenses on Pana cameras.

Gary

Last edited: