Site Sponsors

Thread: So, has everyone watched the Samsung NX hypnotically-rotating-camera video yet?

Ranger 9

So, has everyone watched the Samsung NX hypnotically-rotating-camera video yet?

If not, here's the link:

http://www.samsungusanews.com/2009/04/samsung-nx/

I would say that for everyone who thinks the Panasonic G1 doesn't have enough buttons to keep your right thumb busy, Samsung has designed just the camera for you. Other than that, if both these camera designs had been school projects, I think the teacher would be justified in suspecting that somebody had been copying somebody else's paper...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, has everyone watched the Samsung NX hypnotically-rotating-camera video yet?

Sure looks suspiciously like something we all know--and even in red!!!! Then---I started to wonder if the adaptor frenzy will start with the Sigma?

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: So, has everyone watched the Samsung NX hypnotically-rotating-camera video yet?

I know. I thought it looked so copied when I first saw it. They had it at PMA behind glass as well. My new color is the gold/champagne colored GH1. There was something about it that I really liked...god help me.

Post Thanks / Like

It is really a complex feeling for this new product. Good to hear that the sensor size is using APS-C format but bad to hear that the potential alternative option of lenses is not as many as G1/ GH1. Even more worse that the register distance of the lens might be longer that G1 (23mm+ vs 19.9mm) from some rumor. For whom loves to have fun with cine lenses, NX may not utilize the sensor or even making the focus impossible. Further more, there is no flip monitor for more viewing angle. It seems that the system only benefit from the small body size and bigger sensor size. I think it only help the old age lenses such as FD, Fujinon X, MD and Konica AR lenses back to life. But we already tasted these from 4/3 third. Hope it can adapt Leica M and Voitglander lenses (might be feasible) when it is launched.

But after all, it is an easier road for Samsung as the DSLR market is already flooded by "C-S-N". That's the main reason for Samsung to keep surviving in the high end DC market. Of course, give us more superior Schneider lenses please.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can you share where you heard the rumor about the register distance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Design problem with this camera is the lack of a rotating LCD! That is one of the coolest features of the G1 and all others will have to measure up

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Design problem with this camera is the lack of a rotating LCD! That is one of the coolest features of the G1 and all others will have to measure up

Woody
    Exactly. This one´s off my watching list (if it ever was there...). Now, wake up, Olympus!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I function just fine with the M8 and D700 and then I use the G1 and I constantly have the LCD in all different positions and can get different shots that I don't really try with the other cameras (I'm not quite as dedicated as Jono lying down in a just planted field or crawling through bushes).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Can you share where you heard the rumor about the register distance?
    I just remember that Samsung's VP admitted that the registered distance is a little longer than M4/3. But I just forget where I have read the exactly number of the register distance. I can't get it back by google. But As long as it is not longer than Leica M's registered distance (27.95mm), it can still get a good reputation of "poor man's" Leica.

Still sound great, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    (...)
    if both these camera designs had been school projects, I think the teacher would be justified in suspecting that somebody had been copying somebody else's paper...
    Quite some similarities. But Samsung found a better place for the front wheel. I know, it's kind of old and boring complaining of the G1 front wheel placement, but still...

(Yes, I'm surprised Panasonic didn't fix that with the GH1.) - Regards, /Jonas