The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

e-m5 mk2. How often do folk use Manual and Lever 2?

I shoot quite a lot of theatre productions. I use Manual all the time as I find Auto Exposure gets too confused by the lights on the stage.

Up to now I have been setting what I felt was an ASA that would cover me for the dimmest lit scenes - and adjusting the speed/aperture as the lighting changed.

It has just occured to me that I am probably better equipped if I chose my speed and aperture and worked with the Lever in position 2 where I can alter the exposure by raising or lowering the ASA.

The default sets the front dial for the changes. (That seems OK and I am not sure that reversing it so the back dial handles ASA is any more logical.)

I have never read about anyone working this way.

I wonder why.

All comments from the gurus are, as always, warmly welcomed.

Tony

London UK

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't shoot Olympus and I mostly use aperture priority, so what I say may not be relevant to how you shoot, but here's how I mostly use my Panasonic cameras:
I shoot in Aperture Priority and adjust the aperture as suits the situation and don't worry much about exposure time unless I shoot moving subjects. ASA/ISO is set to Auto, but I frequently adjust the maximum ISO level by pushing the the relevant buttom and turning the front command wheel.

I do it this way because most of the time, it's more important to me to have control over noise in the photo than exposure time, again unless I shoot moving subjects. In that case, I change to Shutter Priority and follow the same procedure with regards to maximum ISO.