The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

Diane B

Carl, as far as bokeh, can you compare it to a lens you have--and maybe show the comparison. I see that you are going to show comparison shots with the 40 Nokton.

Diane

scho

Carl, as far as bokeh, can you compare it to a lens you have--and maybe show the comparison. I see that you are going to show comparison shots with the 40 Nokton.

Diane
Diane, Yes, I will do some bokeh comparison shots with the 40 Nokton as well.

scho

Diane, Yes, I will do some bokeh comparison shots with the 40 Nokton as well.
Here is a page on my pbase site with some images (all 50% full size) taken with the converted Konica AR 40mm f/1.8 and the CV Nokton 40mm f/1.4. The orchid pics were taken only with the Konica and were handheld, so don't judge sharpness with these. There are a couple of OOF specular highlights at the upper right in this series that shows the aperture affect noted previously in another thread. The second series of shots using both the Konica and Nokton were taken using a tripod. You will see some edge distortion at wider apertures with the Nokton. The Konica is a bit soft wide open, but quite sharp stopped down. You can make your own judgements concerning bokeh.

http://www.pbase.com/scho/konicanokton_comparisons

Diane B

Thanks Carl for doing that. I've looked at those comparisons and also seen your 'walking around' photos from this afternoon. I won't have mine for 10 days to 2 weeks probably but look forward to shooting with it.

Diane

scho

Another Hexanon to 4/3 converter ring has appeared on ebay from a chinese dealer (lschi), item # 160329682972. Would be nice if someone would make a direct adapter for m43.

Diane B

It would be nice for a direct adaptor. I may look into some more of the lenses but I don't want to do the conversion myself. Thank goodness for Jim Thompson (Kernow) who is doing the conversion of my 40 f/1.8 for a very reasonable rate. Hope to have it back in about a week.

Diane

scho

It would be nice for a direct adaptor. I may look into some more of the lenses but I don't want to do the conversion myself. Thank goodness for Jim Thompson (Kernow) who is doing the conversion of my 40 f/1.8 for a very reasonable rate. Hope to have it back in about a week.

Diane
You can also now buy Konica AR lenses already modified for the 4/3 mount on ebay from the fellow who also sells the conversion kits. He currently has both a 40 1.8 and 135 3.2 for sale.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/nanoer

f6cvalkyrie

I did the conversion this afternoon and it took less than 1 hour.
Hi,

yesterday, I bought 2 Konika AR lenses at a flea market here in our village :
a 135mm f3.5 and a 50mm f1.7
Both look like brand new, and came in their original leather lens cases.

Total paid : 40 Euro (cq 53 $) :D

Today, I started the 4/3 conversion. On the 50mm one black screw does not want to come loose. I already ruined a watchmaker's screwdriver on that one. The demounting of the 135mm went fine.

However, I have problems figuring out what kind of spacer to make, without a kind of decent drawing.

Could anybody post a +/- detailled drawing of that part that one has to make ?

TIA,
Rafael

Diane B

Raf, what a deal. I hope you are able to figure this out. I would have loved to have the 50 f/1.7. You might email kernow about the spacer. He ordered brass spacers to fit as I understand--that's what he used for mine (he did my conversion) and I believe he was selling the spacers to others.

I took my 'new' Hexanon 40 f/1.7 out today and here are some first photos with it. I've tried it stopped down quite a bit and believe it will be my choice for shooting in that range, stopped down. I was interested in it wide open, or close to wide open (mine was left with full stops so its 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, etc.--I'm used to 1/2 stops with the FDs).

I really need to keep notes LOL--I'm so dependent on EXIF I forget to do that with my MF lenses.

I think this was at f/2.8 0r 4.0--probably f/4.0

Likely f/5.6 I love the shades of green from the more yellow green of the fern to the quite blue green of this hosta (which is a 'blue')

f/4.0

I believe I'll be happy with this lens. I've tried it compared to both of my FDs in similar range (35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8) and while I like the 35 very much, it just won't do in some cases because its a full stop less bright. I suspect that I will end up carrying the 20 f/1.7 (when it comes out) and the 40 f/1.7 quite a lot.

Diane

scho

Raf, what a deal. I hope you are able to figure this out. I would have loved to have the 50 f/1.7. You might email kernow about the spacer. He ordered brass spacers to fit as I understand--that's what he used for mine (he did my conversion) and I believe he was selling the spacers to others.

I took my 'new' Hexanon 40 f/1.7 out today and here are some first photos with it. I've tried it stopped down quite a bit and believe it will be my choice for shooting in that range, stopped down. I was interested in it wide open, or close to wide open (mine was left with full stops so its 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, etc.--I'm used to 1/2 stops with the FDs).

I really need to keep notes LOL--I'm so dependent on EXIF I forget to do that with my MF lenses.

I think this was at f/2.8 0r 4.0--probably f/4.0

Likely f/5.6 I love the shades of green from the more yellow green of the fern to the quite blue green of this hosta (which is a 'blue')

f/4.0

I believe I'll be happy with this lens. I've tried it compared to both of my FDs in similar range (35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8) and while I like the 35 very much, it just won't do in some cases because its a full stop less bright. I suspect that I will end up carrying the 20 f/1.7 (when it comes out) and the 40 f/1.7 quite a lot.

Diane
Looks great Diane. Love the shot of the Hostas and Ferns - beautiful greens and contrasting textures.

Regards,
Carl

Diane B

Talk about serendipity. Its raining (what else LOL) and so I was shooting from the garden porch comparing OOF with this lens, the FD 35 f/2.8 and FD 50 f/1.8. Just as I was getting ready to press the shutter button I heard the whir of the hummer's wings in my left ear and the bird flew into my FOV as the shutter closed. Had I known--I would have tried a bit higher shutter speed--but it was darkish and raining, so I'm grateful to get this. It is a crop--there were 2 irises, but I prefer the crop with only the one and the bird. Obviously I was MF on the iris--the top petal with the larger raindrops. Its f/2.8, ISO100, 1/200s with the Konica Hexanon AF 40 f/1.8

Diane

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Diane,
These shots are all stunning. My favorite is the fern and hosta...love the hummer, too. The shutter speed on the hummer was good because you captured the movement of the wing.

Godfrey

Looks great, Diane!

I love this 40mm focal length so much on the G1 with the G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 that I've adapted, I felt I really had to have a fast 40mm for the L1 too. So I found an EXC condition example Konica 40/1.8 for $40 and ordered this adaptation kit for $25 ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220405360818

Might be a little expensive, but I'd rather just have everything in one package and get it done. Should be in this week. I'll let ya know when I get both bits and put it together. :)

f6cvalkyrie

Absolutely superb shot of the hummer, Diane, and a lot of very nice ones, in this topic and in others !!

Congrats,
Raf

M

Mingjai

Diane--
Nice shot of the hummingbird. How are you finding the Hexanon compares to your FD lenses? The 40 f/1.8 and the FD 50 f/1.4 are two of my most used lenses, and they both deliver output similar quality--which each has its own unique characteristics, choosing between them is mostly a function of what focal length I prefer that day.

So I found an EXC condition example Konica 40/1.8 for $40 and ordered this adaptation kit for $25 ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220405360818

Might be a little expensive, but I'd rather just have everything in one package and get it done. Should be in this week. I'll let ya know when I get both bits and put it together. :)
Godfrey--
As referenced further up in this thread, that's the kit that Scho and I used successfully to convert our Hexanons, so if you have any questions, hopefully one of us has the answer. Happy converting!

Godfrey

As referenced further up in this thread, that's the kit that Scho and I used successfully to convert our Hexanons, so if you have any questions, hopefully one of us has the answer. Happy converting!
Only question I had was that the ebay description didn't really say precisely what was included in the kit. The guy selling it is in San Jose ... ten minutes away from me ... so I didn't bother to ask questions: two other folks had recommended it.

Can you detail just what's in the kit? I know there must be a shim/spacer ... what else? tools? etc.

thanks. :)

scho

Only question I had was that the ebay description didn't really say precisely what was included in the kit. The guy selling it is in San Jose ... ten minutes away from me ... so I didn't bother to ask questions: two other folks had recommended it.

Can you detail just what's in the kit? I know there must be a shim/spacer ... what else? tools? etc.

thanks. :)
Godfrey, The parts supplied are a plastic ring, molded plastic aperture control "handle", and small peel off adhesive shims (8). You will need a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws from the lens mount ( 2 sets), a pair of tweezers for handling and applying the shims, a pair of needle nose pliers, some crazy glue or epoxy, and some rubber cement. Directions he supplies are quite good and well illustrated. You will also have to cut off a plastic tab from the lens mount (utility knife, snips or a dremel cutter work). I have now converted the 40mmm f/1.8, two of the 50mm 1.7 lenses (old and newer versions), and I'm waiting for parts to convert a135mm f/3.2. All working well.

Regards,
Carl

scho

Diane, Beautiful shot of the iris and hummer. Look forward to seeing your bokeh comparisons.

Regards,
Carl

E

ekso

Nice Shot. Weren't you glad it was raining.
Anyway, waiting to see the bokeh comparisions.