Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 68

Thread: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Micheal mentioned this lens as one I might be interested in for my 35-40 FL range. I've found one, reasonable as he says, but can find no way to use with the G1 without a DIY project to convert to use for 4/3rds. This really isn't my forte'. Is there any other way to use a Hexanon AR lens on the G1 without adding the spacers or grind it down, etc.?

    Diane

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    No...unfortunately. I have some extra spacers if you need any...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Monza---what DIY directions do you recommend? I found several--found a long thread about brass spacers, etc. on dpreview.

    Diane

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    I recommend the Jim (kernow) brass spacer. It is a little more labour than just throwing in an O-ring or make something out of a cereal box or a piece of cardboard. But, some work pays off and you get a durable and "real" conversion with a lens sitting tight and snapping at place.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Diane, the spacers I have are the Kernow one's that Jonas recommends.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Thanks all. I bought the 40 f/1.8 this evening and it will be shipped MOnday--- and someone has, for a very reasonable sum, offered to convert the lens to 4/3rds for me--with the brass spacers (I really didn't want to tackle that myself). I'm very pleased---its a FL I wanted with a lens with an excellent reputation.

    When I bought the Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor to use with the Oly 9-18 lens I rationalized that I would be able to branch out to other MF lenses (beyond my FDs) and have been trying to find a fast, good lens in this FL--so its worked out well. I doubt I would have explored the Konica lenses without some recommendations from this forum.

    Diane

  7. #7
    butterdada
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Konica hexanon 40mm F1.8 is a good lens
    U can modify it by yourself. Very easy!
    Photos with Panasonic DMC-L10



  8. #8
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    As I mentioned in another thread, I have this lens and love it. It's nice and sharp, and I've taken some great shots with it--in fact, I use it as much as I use my FD(n) 50mm f/1.4.

    I touched on this in the other tread, but it's probably more relevant here. I have two minor complaints--maybe concerns or reservations is a better word--with the Hexanon. My first is that you can't set the aperture to half-stops. In application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results.

    The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape, which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4. See this review HERE for illustrations.

    Again, don't think I'm dislike this lens, because I don't--quite the opposite, in fact. It's a great and compact lens, and it gets a lot of use on my G1. It probably will be a staple in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness, whereas the FD lenses are very dense.

    EDIT: I forgot to mention the part most relevant to this tread--I used the conversion kit sold on Ebay by Tai Chung to convert the lens to 4/3s. It worked fine for me and I completed the whole operation in an hour, though apparently some of the more time consuming steps are unnecessary having a fully functional lens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Mingjai, you can remove the small ball-bearing which snaps into each aperture stop - which allows the aperture ring to run smoothly, allowing a continuous range of aperture positions.

    Kind Regards

    Brian

  10. #10
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Mingjai, you can remove the small ball-bearing which snaps into each aperture stop - which allows the aperture ring to run smoothly, allowing a continuous range of aperture positions.

    Kind Regards

    Brian
    Thanks, Brian. I might consider that if it does become bothersome. As it stands, it's a minor concern because the lens does shoot great. I guess the real question is how it shoots in between 1.8 and 2.8. If it shoots well enough, then maybe the extra half to full stop I could pick up might be worth it.

  11. #11
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Thanks all. I bought the 40 f/1.8 this evening and it will be shipped MOnday--- and someone has, for a very reasonable sum, offered to convert the lens to 4/3rds for me--with the brass spacers (I really didn't want to tackle that myself). I'm very pleased---its a FL I wanted with a lens with an excellent reputation.

    When I bought the Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor to use with the Oly 9-18 lens I rationalized that I would be able to branch out to other MF lenses (beyond my FDs) and have been trying to find a fast, good lens in this FL--so its worked out well. I doubt I would have explored the Konica lenses without some recommendations from this forum.

    Diane
    Diane, I'm on the lookout too after seeing some of Brian's photos for a Hexanon lens and the conversion. Do let us know how you get along.

    Ekso

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, I have this lens and love it. It's nice and sharp, and I've taken some great shots with it--in fact, I use it as much as I use my FD(n) 50mm f/1.4.

    I touched on this in the other tread, but it's probably more relevant here. I have two minor complaints--maybe concerns or reservations is a better word--with the Hexanon. My first is that you can't set the aperture to half-stops. In application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results.

    The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape, which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4. See this review HERE for illustrations.

    Again, don't think I'm dislike this lens, because I don't--quite the opposite, in fact. It's a great and compact lens, and it gets a lot of use on my G1. It probably will be a staple in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness, whereas the FD lenses are very dense.

    EDIT: I forgot to mention the part most relevant to this tread--I used the conversion kit sold on Ebay by Tai Chung to convert the lens to 4/3s. It worked fine for me and I completed the whole operation in an hour, though apparently some of the more time consuming steps are unnecessary having a fully functional lens.
    Mingjai, Could you please tell me which time consuming steps are unnecessary? I have the same kit but I'm a bit hesitant to use no less than 3 different types of glues at different stages of the operation - hopefully, these are the unnecessary steps.
    Carl

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Mingjai or anyone else that has this lens with 4/3rds or m4/3rds--do you have any wide open? I am assuming that butterdada's second shot is wide open, but that's the only one I've been able to find. I've seen some very nice ones stopped down so have little concerns there.

    Mine is in transit to be converted--so may have it back in about 10 days to 2 weeks or so. The lens looked great on arrival--also very small. I was sort of surprised at the very small aperture ring (relative to my FDs). I'm looking forward to shooting with it--its about the same size as the MA-1 adaptor I'll need to shoot with the G1.

    Diane

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    I have two of the 40/1.8 lenses and the brass rings, but don't have the time to convert them, send me a PM if interested.

  15. #15
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Mingjai, Could you please tell me which time consuming steps are unnecessary? I have the same kit but I'm a bit hesitant to use no less than 3 different types of glues at different stages of the operation - hopefully, these are the unnecessary steps.
    Carl
    Carl--

    It's a little hard to describe because I followed the instructions to a tee, while others converted the "other" way which has less steps. Apparently I didn't have to remove the metal lens mount flange in order to yank the retaining ring.

    We had a discussion about it over at the DPR forums:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=31548656

    My suggestion would be to follow the instructions given to you by Tai Chung, but where it calls for superglue, use something else because superglue is too runny and too unforgiving. I use something called Power Poxy, which is basically like super rubber cement. It's easy to clean, remove, or reposition until it sets up, and then it's there for good.

    Try running a search the DPR Pany and Oly SLR forums for Hexanon and you should be able to find more related discussion that might be helpful.

  16. #16
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Mingjai or anyone else that has this lens with 4/3rds or m4/3rds--do you have any wide open? I am assuming that butterdada's second shot is wide open, but that's the only one I've been able to find. I've seen some very nice ones stopped down so have little concerns there.

    Mine is in transit to be converted--so may have it back in about 10 days to 2 weeks or so. The lens looked great on arrival--also very small. I was sort of surprised at the very small aperture ring (relative to my FDs). I'm looking forward to shooting with it--its about the same size as the MA-1 adaptor I'll need to shoot with the G1.

    Diane
    Diane--

    I rarely shoot wide open with this lens. I'd say it's comparable to my FD 50mm 1.4 shooting wide open--I'll try to post something shot wide open on my Hexanon and my FD 50 tomorrow.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    Diane--

    I rarely shoot wide open with this lens. I'd say it's comparable to my FD 50mm 1.4 shooting wide open--I'll try to post something shot wide open on my Hexanon and my FD 50 tomorrow.
    Thanks. That would be great--of course, now I own the lens anyhow LOL--but I don't own the 50 f/1.4, only the f/1.8.

    Diane

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    Carl--

    It's a little hard to describe because I followed the instructions to a tee, while others converted the "other" way which has less steps. Apparently I didn't have to remove the metal lens mount flange in order to yank the retaining ring.

    We had a discussion about it over at the DPR forums:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=31548656

    My suggestion would be to follow the instructions given to you by Tai Chung, but where it calls for superglue, use something else because superglue is too runny and too unforgiving. I use something called Power Poxy, which is basically like super rubber cement. It's easy to clean, remove, or reposition until it sets up, and then it's there for good.

    Try running a search the DPR Pany and Oly SLR forums for Hexanon and you should be able to find more related discussion that might be helpful.
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions Mingjai. I'll give it a whirl.

    Regards,
    Carl

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Mingjai or anyone else that has this lens with 4/3rds or m4/3rds--do you have any wide open? I am assuming that butterdada's second shot is wide open, but that's the only one I've been able to find. I've seen some very nice ones stopped down so have little concerns there.

    Mine is in transit to be converted--so may have it back in about 10 days to 2 weeks or so. The lens looked great on arrival--also very small. I was sort of surprised at the very small aperture ring (relative to my FDs). I'm looking forward to shooting with it--its about the same size as the MA-1 adaptor I'll need to shoot with the G1.

    Diane
    Diana,
    Sorry I did not react on your post before but I was abroad. I just wanted to make an example with this lens wide open for you but the diafragma is stuck.
    Don't worry, I know what it is, but I just don't have the time now to repair it. I still didn't convert my Hexanon lenses more permanently. At the moment I just use a small cardboard ring with a thickness of 1.5 mm.
    I do have photo's with the lens but not at 1.8
    But I think you will like the lens once you have it.
    Kind regards, Michiel

    Here is one from the lens this winter with the E-3 in the Amsterdam Vondelpark.


  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions Mingjai. I'll give it a whirl.

    Regards,
    Carl
    I did the conversion this afternoon and it took less than 1 hour. All went well and the lens works great. Infinity focus checks out fine, focusing is smooth, and aperture setting click stops are positive. I'll post some comparison shots with the 40 Nokton (with M mount adapter) tomorrow. Preliminary evaluation with shots around the house indicate that this lens is very sharp across the field with no corner or edge distortion. Bokeh is not the greatest, but then I didn't really expect it to be outstanding in that department. I think I will like this lens for walk around casual shooting.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Carl, as far as bokeh, can you compare it to a lens you have--and maybe show the comparison. I see that you are going to show comparison shots with the 40 Nokton.

    Diane

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Carl, as far as bokeh, can you compare it to a lens you have--and maybe show the comparison. I see that you are going to show comparison shots with the 40 Nokton.

    Diane
    Diane, Yes, I will do some bokeh comparison shots with the 40 Nokton as well.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Diane, Yes, I will do some bokeh comparison shots with the 40 Nokton as well.
    Here is a page on my pbase site with some images (all 50% full size) taken with the converted Konica AR 40mm f/1.8 and the CV Nokton 40mm f/1.4. The orchid pics were taken only with the Konica and were handheld, so don't judge sharpness with these. There are a couple of OOF specular highlights at the upper right in this series that shows the aperture affect noted previously in another thread. The second series of shots using both the Konica and Nokton were taken using a tripod. You will see some edge distortion at wider apertures with the Nokton. The Konica is a bit soft wide open, but quite sharp stopped down. You can make your own judgements concerning bokeh.

    http://www.pbase.com/scho/konicanokton_comparisons

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Thanks Carl for doing that. I've looked at those comparisons and also seen your 'walking around' photos from this afternoon. I won't have mine for 10 days to 2 weeks probably but look forward to shooting with it.

    Diane

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Another Hexanon to 4/3 converter ring has appeared on ebay from a chinese dealer (lschi), item # 160329682972. Would be nice if someone would make a direct adapter for m43.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    It would be nice for a direct adaptor. I may look into some more of the lenses but I don't want to do the conversion myself. Thank goodness for Jim Thompson (Kernow) who is doing the conversion of my 40 f/1.8 for a very reasonable rate. Hope to have it back in about a week.

    Diane

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    It would be nice for a direct adaptor. I may look into some more of the lenses but I don't want to do the conversion myself. Thank goodness for Jim Thompson (Kernow) who is doing the conversion of my 40 f/1.8 for a very reasonable rate. Hope to have it back in about a week.

    Diane
    You can also now buy Konica AR lenses already modified for the 4/3 mount on ebay from the fellow who also sells the conversion kits. He currently has both a 40 1.8 and 135 3.2 for sale.
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/nanoer

  28. #28
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I did the conversion this afternoon and it took less than 1 hour.
    Hi,

    yesterday, I bought 2 Konika AR lenses at a flea market here in our village :
    a 135mm f3.5 and a 50mm f1.7
    Both look like brand new, and came in their original leather lens cases.

    Total paid : 40 Euro (cq 53 $)

    Today, I started the 4/3 conversion. On the 50mm one black screw does not want to come loose. I already ruined a watchmaker's screwdriver on that one. The demounting of the 135mm went fine.

    However, I have problems figuring out what kind of spacer to make, without a kind of decent drawing.

    Could anybody post a +/- detailled drawing of that part that one has to make ?

    TIA,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Raf, what a deal. I hope you are able to figure this out. I would have loved to have the 50 f/1.7. You might email kernow about the spacer. He ordered brass spacers to fit as I understand--that's what he used for mine (he did my conversion) and I believe he was selling the spacers to others.

    I took my 'new' Hexanon 40 f/1.7 out today and here are some first photos with it. I've tried it stopped down quite a bit and believe it will be my choice for shooting in that range, stopped down. I was interested in it wide open, or close to wide open (mine was left with full stops so its 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, etc.--I'm used to 1/2 stops with the FDs).

    I really need to keep notes LOL--I'm so dependent on EXIF I forget to do that with my MF lenses.

    I think this was at f/2.8 0r 4.0--probably f/4.0


    Likely f/5.6 I love the shades of green from the more yellow green of the fern to the quite blue green of this hosta (which is a 'blue')


    f/4.0


    I believe I'll be happy with this lens. I've tried it compared to both of my FDs in similar range (35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8) and while I like the 35 very much, it just won't do in some cases because its a full stop less bright. I suspect that I will end up carrying the 20 f/1.7 (when it comes out) and the 40 f/1.7 quite a lot.

    Diane

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Raf, what a deal. I hope you are able to figure this out. I would have loved to have the 50 f/1.7. You might email kernow about the spacer. He ordered brass spacers to fit as I understand--that's what he used for mine (he did my conversion) and I believe he was selling the spacers to others.

    I took my 'new' Hexanon 40 f/1.7 out today and here are some first photos with it. I've tried it stopped down quite a bit and believe it will be my choice for shooting in that range, stopped down. I was interested in it wide open, or close to wide open (mine was left with full stops so its 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, etc.--I'm used to 1/2 stops with the FDs).

    I really need to keep notes LOL--I'm so dependent on EXIF I forget to do that with my MF lenses.

    I think this was at f/2.8 0r 4.0--probably f/4.0


    Likely f/5.6 I love the shades of green from the more yellow green of the fern to the quite blue green of this hosta (which is a 'blue')


    f/4.0


    I believe I'll be happy with this lens. I've tried it compared to both of my FDs in similar range (35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8) and while I like the 35 very much, it just won't do in some cases because its a full stop less bright. I suspect that I will end up carrying the 20 f/1.7 (when it comes out) and the 40 f/1.7 quite a lot.

    Diane
    Looks great Diane. Love the shot of the Hostas and Ferns - beautiful greens and contrasting textures.

    Regards,
    Carl

  31. #31
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Nice one Diane.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Talk about serendipity. Its raining (what else LOL) and so I was shooting from the garden porch comparing OOF with this lens, the FD 35 f/2.8 and FD 50 f/1.8. Just as I was getting ready to press the shutter button I heard the whir of the hummer's wings in my left ear and the bird flew into my FOV as the shutter closed. Had I known--I would have tried a bit higher shutter speed--but it was darkish and raining, so I'm grateful to get this. It is a crop--there were 2 irises, but I prefer the crop with only the one and the bird. Obviously I was MF on the iris--the top petal with the larger raindrops. Its f/2.8, ISO100, 1/200s with the Konica Hexanon AF 40 f/1.8



    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 5th May 2009 at 09:15.

  33. #33
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Diane,
    These shots are all stunning. My favorite is the fern and hosta...love the hummer, too. The shutter speed on the hummer was good because you captured the movement of the wing.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Looks great, Diane!

    I love this 40mm focal length so much on the G1 with the G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 that I've adapted, I felt I really had to have a fast 40mm for the L1 too. So I found an EXC condition example Konica 40/1.8 for $40 and ordered this adaptation kit for $25 ...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220405360818

    Might be a little expensive, but I'd rather just have everything in one package and get it done. Should be in this week. I'll let ya know when I get both bits and put it together. :-)

  35. #35
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Absolutely superb shot of the hummer, Diane, and a lot of very nice ones, in this topic and in others !!

    Congrats,
    Raf
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  36. #36
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Diane--
    Nice shot of the hummingbird. How are you finding the Hexanon compares to your FD lenses? The 40 f/1.8 and the FD 50 f/1.4 are two of my most used lenses, and they both deliver output similar quality--which each has its own unique characteristics, choosing between them is mostly a function of what focal length I prefer that day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    So I found an EXC condition example Konica 40/1.8 for $40 and ordered this adaptation kit for $25 ...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220405360818

    Might be a little expensive, but I'd rather just have everything in one package and get it done. Should be in this week. I'll let ya know when I get both bits and put it together. :-)
    Godfrey--
    As referenced further up in this thread, that's the kit that Scho and I used successfully to convert our Hexanons, so if you have any questions, hopefully one of us has the answer. Happy converting!

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mingjai View Post
    As referenced further up in this thread, that's the kit that Scho and I used successfully to convert our Hexanons, so if you have any questions, hopefully one of us has the answer. Happy converting!
    Only question I had was that the ebay description didn't really say precisely what was included in the kit. The guy selling it is in San Jose ... ten minutes away from me ... so I didn't bother to ask questions: two other folks had recommended it.

    Can you detail just what's in the kit? I know there must be a shim/spacer ... what else? tools? etc.

    thanks. :-)

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Only question I had was that the ebay description didn't really say precisely what was included in the kit. The guy selling it is in San Jose ... ten minutes away from me ... so I didn't bother to ask questions: two other folks had recommended it.

    Can you detail just what's in the kit? I know there must be a shim/spacer ... what else? tools? etc.

    thanks. :-)
    Godfrey, The parts supplied are a plastic ring, molded plastic aperture control "handle", and small peel off adhesive shims (8). You will need a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws from the lens mount ( 2 sets), a pair of tweezers for handling and applying the shims, a pair of needle nose pliers, some crazy glue or epoxy, and some rubber cement. Directions he supplies are quite good and well illustrated. You will also have to cut off a plastic tab from the lens mount (utility knife, snips or a dremel cutter work). I have now converted the 40mmm f/1.8, two of the 50mm 1.7 lenses (old and newer versions), and I'm waiting for parts to convert a135mm f/3.2. All working well.

    Regards,
    Carl

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Diane, Beautiful shot of the iris and hummer. Look forward to seeing your bokeh comparisons.

    Regards,
    Carl

  40. #40
    ekso
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Nice Shot. Weren't you glad it was raining.
    Anyway, waiting to see the bokeh comparisions.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    The parts supplied are a plastic ring, molded plastic aperture control "handle", and small peel off adhesive shims (8). You will need a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws from the lens mount ( 2 sets), a pair of tweezers for handling and applying the shims, a pair of needle nose pliers, some crazy glue or epoxy, and some rubber cement. Directions he supplies are quite good and well illustrated. You will also have to cut off a plastic tab from the lens mount (utility knife, snips or a dremel cutter work).
    Great, Thank you! Just what I wanted to know. I should have everything in house other than the epoxy/crazy glue and rubber cement, and there's a crafts store right down the block.

    The kit should be here today, the lens on Friday.

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    I just thought I would mention also, for non-mechanical types like me without the tools and such, that kernow (Jim Thompson) will do conversions of the Hexanon AF lenses for a reasonable amount. He used one of the brass spacers that he ordered (see other threads about it on dpreview I think--maybe the Oly SLR forum where he ordered a lot of the spacers in the right size and others bought what they needed from him to use for their conversions).

    Diane

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I just thought I would mention also, for non-mechanical types like me without the tools and such, that kernow (Jim Thompson) will do conversions of the Hexanon AF lenses for a reasonable amount. He used one of the brass spacers that he ordered (see other threads about it on dpreview I think--maybe the Oly SLR forum where he ordered a lot of the spacers in the right size and others bought what they needed from him to use for their conversions).
    Thanks! That was my first thought.
    I tried to contact him but as yet he hasn't responded. So I just ordered the kit... ;-)

  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    The 40/1.8 adaptation kit arrived yesterday. Nicely laid out, looks pretty simple to do. Lens should arrive on Friday ... :-)

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    problem with adaptation

    The Konica 40/1.8 lens arrived today and everything seemed to go well with the adaptation. I used Tai Chung's kit ... all the bits fit properly, no problems according to the instructions. The aperture works perfectly. The Olympus FourThirds back cap fits the lens perfectly.

    But try to fit the lens onto a camera body and it will not rotate all the way and latch on the bayonet flange properly. It turns about 10 degrees and stops, will fall off if I try to turn the focusing ring.

    Anyone else seen this before?

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Well I have some experience with converting Hexanon lenses myself. It looks like the ring in between is just a little to thick. I do not know this kit but if you use material other then steel or copper, which don't give in, the thickness may not be that critical. I would think you need to sand or grind of a little of the spacer. It should not be necessary if you buy a ready made kit. You probably found out already since this thread is already two days old.
    I just bought some black plastic material of 1 1/2 mm from "Evergreen scale models" (for model trains) and will try to work with that. I will let you know if the results are any good.
    Michiel

  47. #47
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    follow-up ...

    Tai milled down the shim ring for my lens, it now fits perfectly. He even stopped by to drop it off and be certain it worked as desired. Can't get better service than that.

    Now to test this lens ... my first impressions are already great. :-)

  48. #48
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    OK, here's my camera now ...

    Yes, I believe in *PROPER* lens hoods ... ;-)


    The lens hood is a B+W screw-in metal unit, 58mm threads with 55->58mm step up ring, for tele lenses in the 80 to 135 mm range on 35mm film cameras. A perfect match to the 40mm focal length on FourThirds. The resulting setup is light, balances beautifully, and gives superb flare resistance with no vignetting.

    It also looks delightfully stark and business-like ... ;-)

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Godfrey, that's exactly what I've been looking for--I wonder if it will be possible to track one down.

    The 40 looks great on the L1 (I'd love to shoot with the camera and see if I would like it as much as I think I might)--as if looks count (*smile*--but it is nice when a camera looks like what it is)--no adaptor. Mine, of course, on the G1 is twice as big.

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 11th May 2009 at 17:44.

  50. #50
    Mingjai
    Guest

    Re: Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Godfrey, that's exactly what I've been looking for--I wonder if it will be possible to track one down.

    The 40 looks great on the L1 (I'd love to shoot with the camera and see if I would like it as much as I think I might)--as if looks count (*smile*--but it is nice when a camera looks like what it is)--no adaptor. Mine, of course, on the G1 is twice as big.

    Diane
    Not Godfrey, but try running the search "55mm metal lens hood" on Ebay--looks like there are a few similar hoods for decent prices.

    Something like this...

    Godfrey-- I'm glad that you got your lens up and running. Sounds like Tai is a pure class individual. Now we're just waiting for some results from your new lens.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •