The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus lens development announcements

Knorp

In what regards? I made a screenshot in January and this one looks exactly identical.
My apologies for the poor quality January roadmap.
And no - they're not Photoshopped ... :rolleyes:

As of January 2019
t8AxJbikUKmQ74pfpYLmb3-650-80.jpg

As of November 2019
web_lens_roadmap_191126_en-2_.jpg

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My apologies for the poor quality January roadmap.
And no - they're not Photoshopped ... :rolleyes:
Thanks Knorp,

well, this is the same roadmap with a few of the orange lines filled now with potential products.

For me this is still the same and actually nothing new.

And BTW - I disagree with Olympus on the selection of lenses they are bringing - this will not keep me in the system.

The one lens I really had hoped for would be a 75-300/4 Pro lens, so at least the 100-400 should be a PRO.

iiiNelson

Thanks Knorp,

well, this is the same roadmap with a few of the orange lines filled now with potential products.

For me this is still the same and actually nothing new.

And BTW - I disagree with Olympus on the selection of lenses they are bringing - this will not keep me in the system.

The one lens I really had hoped for would be a 75-300/4 Pro lens, so at least the 100-400 should be a PRO.
Looks like they’ll do a 60-180-ish Pro lens and a 75-250-ish one. That seems like a good range for the pro zoom lenses albeit perhaps redundant depending on the aperture values. If you do to the Leica SL, perhaps it’ll make sense to pick up a used CL and wait for Sigma to release their APS-C lenses in L-Mount... well if Olympus isn’t making what you want. It’s a shame but I feel like adoption of multiple systems is necessary when one has specific workflow expectations. There’s not a system that excels at the shooter that dabbles in nearly everything. The closest to it is Sony but if one has an expectation to adapt native Leica M mount lenses the. That leads you to something from Leica which is expensive but not the pinnacle of AF tech. If one has legacy DSLR lenses then maybe the Canon RF/Nikon Z are worth considering but then you’re dealing with a smaller native lens lineup and shortcomings of a first gen body. Then there Panasonic which offered the beat video overall but you are dealing with the same AF tech issues and a new system.

Sonin short... everything is a compromise. Buy what you need/want and give up the idea of a “perfect” system right now. There’s no such thing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It isn't easy to find something to complain about when it comes to m43 lenses. The f/4 "Pro" standard zoom is probably the first lens of an f/4 "Pro" trio. I look forward to the f/4 tele-zoom. 40-150mm? Hopefully it will be compatible with the 1.4x extender. I'll probably buy it in any case, at least if it's compact enough.

I currently use two GX8 bodies and actually consider buying a third one. They are not perfect, but, like my OM-1 back then, I've gotten used to them, and I can't really complain about much. I prefer the box shape for travel, and the alternatives (mostly the X-Pro3) would mean bigger, more expensive lenses. An interesting supplement would be the Sigma fp with a couple of compact primes, since it uses the same battery as the Panasonic and is much better for video and low light. It's cheap too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
But the 4.5/150-400 IS "Pro" --isn't that closEnuff?

-d.
Sure the 150-400 is (will be) PRO, but that is a totally different beast of lens and far from compact - at least nothing for me. It will be a stellar lens for wholes needs it though.

msadat

It isn't easy to find something to complain about when it comes to m43 lenses. The f/4 "Pro" standard zoom is probably the first lens of an f/4 "Pro" trio. I look forward to the f/4 tele-zoom. 40-150mm? Hopefully it will be compatible with the 1.4x extender. I'll probably buy it in any case, at least if it's compact enough.

I currently use two GX8 bodies and actually consider buying a third one. They are not perfect, but, like my OM-1 back then, I've gotten used to them, and I can't really complain about much. I prefer the box shape for travel, and the alternatives (mostly the X-Pro3) would mean bigger, more expensive lenses. An interesting supplement would be the Sigma fp with a couple of compact primes, since it uses the same battery as the Panasonic and is much better for video and low light. It's cheap too.
I love the gx8 cameras, have two myself.

bensonga

I love the gx8 cameras, have two myself.
Same here. A pair of GX8s with the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 mounted are the foundation of my standard travel camera kit.

Having a small fast prime like the 20/1.7 lens on the GX8 also comes in handy when traveling.

Gary

Last edited:

raist3d

This is all things already in the pipeline. This shouldn't be taken as a sign of Olympus Imaging mid future to long term health yet.

- Ricardo

PS: Would love to see that new F4 pro lens and what would be the F4 pro telephoto equiv.

Knorp

That's right, Ricardo. This table holds no guarantees for the long term. However, for the foreseeable future there's still some life in the old girl ...

Elderly

. This table holds no guarantees for the long term..
Yes - It's ONLY a table; something that is cheap and easy for the Olympus PR department to put out to the public
in order to try and reassure them that the camera division has a future :cynical smiley:.

pegelli

I think it's good that Olympus is part of the M4/3 consortium, so even if they go under there's other brands with the same mount to at least breathe longer life into the lenses. In case Canon, Nikon or Sony would fold you're basically stuck with what's on the market then.

I still remember the time in 2006 that Minolta sold out to Sony, for many people the sky was falling and dumped their gear which gave other people (incl. me) a chance to pick up some very good glass for a song. I still use some of it today with fine results on the latest Sony bodies.

So while I sincerely hope Olympus will survive it's not the end of the world if they don't, even for people who are significantly invested into the system. So bringing out these new lenses should attract some customers, despite the recent take over announcement.

Godfrey

My ancient but still superb high-grade Zuiko Digital 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 ED works beautifully on the E-M1 with the mount adapter, and the EC-14 makes it into a 70-280/4-5.1 lens. With the E-M1's image stabilization and the supplied tripod mounting foot, it serves all my needs for a long, AF capable lens.

It's not particularly compact — especially when at the long end of the tele range — but eh? For the amount that I need such a long lens, it's just fine. There's nothing wrong with its imaging capabilities. When I use it hand-held, I usually fit the SHLD-7 battery/grip to the E-M1 for a little more stability.

The new lenses look nice and probably are a bit quicker focusing, but as you're likely well aware, I'm not a big AF user and can stand not to spend so much more money to get a lens like this. I think I bought this lens complete with case, caps, tripod mount, and teleconverter for $350 about five or six years ago.

G