The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1X or not - just spitballing

k-hawinkler

mmm, that would be a dodo ...

:rolleyes:

Sorry Bart, I can't help out with the dodo. :banghead:
Maybe this shot of a Steller's Jay will suffice... :LOL:

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 SHG @ 300 mm (600 mm in 35mm), f/4, 1/2000 s, ISO 640.

Elderly

This cartoon is from Nathan W Pyle's superb book 'Strange Planet' .

It doesn't help choosing a camera system but it made ME laugh out loud !

iiiNelson

Not wanting to troll... but I knew this would be a flaw in the S1 bodies... I thought, maybe, Panasonic would surreptitiously move to PDAF or similar with the FF bodies (rather like Fuji use a Bayer and not Trans sensor in the GFX series). It came as no surprise to me when reviewers of the new Panasonic FF systems consistently reported AF issues with moving subjects with the camera.

I hear what you say about Sony. I may have to consider it more seriously. It is actually a lot more expensive, even with the now discounted A9 (vs A9II) than the Olympus/Pro 300 kit. But you make a good point. I might feel more inspired by actually getting the shot than failing to do so. It is a shame their prime glass is soooo expensive (compared to the Pro 300/4).

More going round the decision loop.... sometimes I feel more like Sheldon Cooper than a wildlife enthusiast...

LouisB
You aren’t trolling IMO... but for what I do and use it for the S1R AF is fine. It’s not as bad as many reviewers say... and I’d even argue that it’s better than I expected based on reviews. I do believe that DFD will get to a place where the difference in systems is negligible. The LUMIX S is a lot better than the LUMIX G in AF. Even still, there’s room for improvement but I will say in photography it is accurate.

As for the Olympus versus Sony, I think both are great but I just worry that maybe going around to every system that isn’t Sony may be futile and may cost you more in the long run. The A9II May have improved ergos for you (at a financial cost) but either will definitely work in your attempts to getting the shot.

bensonga

Louis...I’m sure there are some here on GetDPI who could provide comparable BIF images taken with the Oly E-M1X with the 300/4 and the Sony A9 with the 200-600 and/or 600 lenses. There are probably other websites where you an or have seen similar comparisons.

As I mentioned, I have a friend who owns both combos and has been taking BIF photos in the SF Bay area for many years.

Here is a link to some of his BIF etc photos posted on his website. He is primarily interested in raptors.

Biodan

Gary

Last edited:

Shashin

Not wanting to troll... but I knew this would be a flaw in the S1 bodies... I thought, maybe, Panasonic would surreptitiously move to PDAF or similar with the FF bodies (rather like Fuji use a Bayer and not Trans sensor in the GFX series). It came as no surprise to me when reviewers of the new Panasonic FF systems consistently reported AF issues with moving subjects with the camera.

I hear what you say about Sony. I may have to consider it more seriously. It is actually a lot more expensive, even with the now discounted A9 (vs A9II) than the Olympus/Pro 300 kit. But you make a good point. I might feel more inspired by actually getting the shot than failing to do so. It is a shame their prime glass is soooo expensive (compared to the Pro 300/4).

More going round the decision loop.... sometimes I feel more like Sheldon Cooper than a wildlife enthusiast...

LouisB
Can you rent or borrow some of these systems to test? If I remember correctly, you moved back to Fuji X because the GFX system was heavy. The larger the sensor, the bigger and heavier the glass.

Also, how are you going to evaluate the results? Will it be with prints? I found the print test the most revealing as you find out how close all this technology really is. It is only when you get to extremes (either in terms of high ISO or pixel peeping) that difference start revealing themselves--keep in mind, I am not a bird photographer (but great bird photography has been around for a long time taken on much less sophisticated equipment).

Personally, when I get to the point where I cannot decide to make a jump, it means I have not really identified the solution I really need. I usually take a step back and stop thinking about it for a bit to get some distance. I have never regretted not purchasing something I was unsure of (but I do have a box of stuff I purchased that goes unused).

How did you know I don't get invited to many parties?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Louis,

just got the info that the newly to be introduced EM1.3 will be basically a mini EM1X without the grip and

1) a completely new processor
2) allows even better handheld highness shots than EM1X
3) new EVF (finally OLED, no info so far about resolution)
4) same batteries like EM1.2 and EM1X
5) same battery grip as EM1.2
6) no info about sensor and resolution so far but my guess would be same sensor with small improvements
7) same number of PDAF points (121) - a bit weird as I thought that could have easily improved

Price I don't know but should be definitely much lower than EM1X (original EM1.2 price was around 2k€ at introduction)

I actually would go for the EM1.3 as that new processor is worth it over the EM1X IMHO

Best regards

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder if there will be an introductory offer of a free grip? :grin: :rolleyes::ROTFL:
When I owned the E-M1 Mark I, the grip never left the camera. If the price of the E-M1X sinks to around the same level as the mark III plus grip, I'll choose the X for sure... I think :ROTFL:

Or probably neither, since the Olympus functionality still bothers me :toocool: :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
When I owned the E-M1 Mark I, the grip never left the camera. If the price of the E-M1X sinks to around the same level as the mark III plus grip, I'll choose the X for sure... I think :ROTFL:

Or probably neither, since the Olympus functionality still bothers me :toocool: :ROTFL:
Olympus cameras are definitely not for you :cool::D:confused: