The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice Sought Re E620 Choice

M

markpsf

I'm a high end amateur (at best!).
80% of my shooting is street shooting (candid photography mostly)
The rest is split between wildlife and landscapes.
I use a Panasonic LX3 and now the G1 but also want to have a slightly higher end DSLR outfit.

With some gift $$ I received I splurged on a Sony A900 outfit. I love the viewfinder, the quality of the lenses, and the IS, which I need because of a slight hand tremor. But at 70 years of age I'm finding the weight of the camera and lenses somewhat of a burden and the very loud shutter of the A900 makes it less than optimal for close-up street shooting.

I'm thinking of either selling the whole outfit or, more likely, my high end heavyweight and high priced zooms, using it with smaller primes and using the sales $$ to get the Olympus E620 plus a few Olympus lenses that I can also use with the G1.

I'd love your "take" before I make any decisions.

Thanks.

Mark

kweide

Size and weight are important facts finding a well balanced decision. The quality of glass and its price are additional main facts. Picturequality, i think have a look thru this forum and you will see Oly, Nikon, Sony, Canon etc. are on an equal level. Sensorsize and all this hype about it is indeed not so important, well A900 is a pure temptation but Nikons D700 as well. But the picture is always been made by YOU behind the cam.
My 2 cents: Weight, size and glass qualitity should drive your decision. Whatever you will take it will always be an emotional decision as well. So take the cam you really want and like and you will be happy with it. And dont forget: Show us your pictures....

Klaus

sonomichele

I think the question to ask is what photographic situations or problems are you trying to solve that you can't do with your G1? If you want higher resolution or image quality, then I'm not sure 620 gains you much. If you are mostly wanting the speed of a DSLR then perhaps.

M

markpsf

Klaus

I totally agree with you and appreciate your response (and your photos!)

What camera(s) and lenses are you using?

If it was your decision (for you not for me) what would you do?

Thanks.

Mark

Diane B

Mark, being the same age as you, I understand your dilemma. However, I don't have to make that decision as I already have a 5D and numerous lenses--some large zooms, some smaller primes. I also have a small DLSR (Canon 400D) but use the same EF mount lenses on it, so it only gains me the difference in size/weight of the body.

I added the G1 in early January and I find that I choose it to carry almost all the time (especially for days when I carry it for hours--and will for hiking this summer). The big difference is that I'm not a street shooter (or sport shooter) at all--and that's where I would make the big consideration. The other would be--if you print large (I do some--and would choose my 5D for landscapes at 16 x 20 or 24--or very very low light handheld).

In considering the G1, be sure you are comfortable with the lens choices for your street shooting. I needed/wanted faster lenses and so added mf lenses--that gave me relatively small and faster. As lenses are added (i.e., the 20 f/1.7) I will likely have all the lenses I need to use the G1 for most all situations--and then the choice will get harder.

Diane

mawz

I think the question to ask is what photographic situations or problems are you trying to solve that you can't do with your G1? If you want higher resolution or image quality, then I'm not sure 620 gains you much. If you are mostly wanting the speed of a DSLR then perhaps.
I'd have to agree. Outside of AF-C performance and less VF blankout when shooting action the E-620 really is less camera than the G1. I'd be looking at the E-30 if I wanted an SLR to complement the G1 and share some/all lenses.

Brian Mosley

The E-620 is definitely a step up from the G1 if you want access to the whole range of 4/3rds lenses - particularly the exceptional 12-60 SWD or 14-54mkII, and the 50-200mm SWD.

However, in your situation I may be tempted to wait for the June release of the Olympus m4/3rds offering... and in particular the lenses which may accompany that release.

Kind Regards

Brian