The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PL 200/2.8 lens

bensonga

Has anyone here owned or used this lens? There are a couple of new copies available from Adorama at a $1000 discount from the usual price (including the 1.4x teleconverter of course). For $1499, it is tempting.

My memory was just refreshed I recall that Louis had this lens.

Gary

Last edited:

biglouis

Has anyone here owned or used this lens? There are a couple of new copies available from Adorama at a $1000 discount from the usual price (including the 1.4x teleconverter of course). For $1499, it is tempting.

My memory was just refreshed I recall that Louis had this lens.

Gary
Yes, I did. Great lens. Typical 'Leica' colours. Sadly, it was the G9 I thought was poor - I've seen that Daniel Cox uses the lens on both the G9 and EM1X. I bought it for a ridiculous price (expensive) and I now see they are available second hand at a bargain price. Make sure you get it with the 1.4x converter included. Also beware that it is a far heavier lens than it looks. Good luck with your decision.

I could never get decent photos with it using the 2x converter but (again) I think that was a failure of the G9 and not the lens.

Still in deep thought about the EM1X+Pro300 :)

LouisB

bensonga

The lens does come with the 1.4x converter.

I generally use Olympus and Panasonic lenses with their respective Oly/Pana bodies. So although I have the Oly 300/4 Pro to use with the E-M1X, I don’t have a fast telephoto prime to use with my G9. At the original prices of $2500-$3000, the PL 200/2.8 was not even on the radar for me.

Gary

biglouis

The lens does come with the 1.4x converter.

I generally use Olympus and Panasonic lenses with their respective Oly/Pana bodies. So although I have the Oly 300/4 Pro to use with the E-M1X, I don’t have a fast telephoto prime to use with my G9. At the original prices of $2500-$3000, the PL 200/2.8 was not even on the radar for me.

Gary
At that price, it is a bargain. Not that I want to lead you into temptation...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To be very honest for that price I would just buy this lens and use it on either Panasonic or Olympus body. Especially the EM1X should pair admirably with it.

For me this would be a no-brainer :cool:

bensonga

Unfortunately I waited to long...by the time I had made a decison to buy one, the few lenses from Adorama at that price had been sold.

I won't pass up a deal like this if the opportunity arises again. In the meantime, I have the PL 50-200, PL 100-400, Pana 100-300 II and Oly 300 Pro to use.

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately I waited to long...by the time I had made a decison to buy one, the few lenses from Adorama at that price had been sold.

I won't pass up a deal like this if the opportunity arises again. In the meantime, I have the PL 50-200, PL 100-400, Pana 100-300 II and Oly 300 Pro to use.

Gary
That's really unfortunate.

Something similar happened to me back in December when Amazon DE offered a Sony A73 body with kit lens for just €1300.- An unbelievably low price, even considering that kit lens is just garbage, but I would have wanted the A73 as a FF camera to adopt some vintage FF lenses. But I waited one day and that sale was gone ...

I learned from that if such an opportunity repeats again just to react more immediate :cool: