The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Em1.3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just to keep all upcoming information in one place lets start this thread.

What we (I) know so far ...

1) Same sensor as EM1X - really unfortunate IMO
2) completely new processor which allows also
3) handheld high res shots
4) OLED EVF - not sure about the resolution though
5) same battery grip as EM1.2 - which is good news
6) same batteries as EM1.2 and EM1X

They should also announce a new compact 12-45 F4 PRO lens - not sure anyone needs this as the 2.8/12-40 PRO is stellar and pretty small and light already.

Are you interested in this body? I definitely am although I would have expected (wanted) at least a 20MP BSI sensor, maybe even a stacked one, but obviously Sony is in no hurry to develop and offer this.

Elderly

Are you interested in this body? I definitely am although I would have expected (wanted) at least a 20MP BSI sensor, .
I am INTERESTED in this body, but whether I will be interested in BUYING one will depend on the final specs (enough meaningful improvements over the mk2), and the price.
I very much doubt that I would be an early adopter.

Knorp

Are you interested in this body? I definitely am although I would have expected (wanted) at least a 20MP BSI sensor, maybe even a stacked one, but obviously Sony is in no hurry to develop and offer this.
Well that looks like Olympus is stuck with the E-M1.2 sensor. :facesmack:
If this is all true, I'll pass the E-M1.3 like I did the E-MX.
But let's be optimistic for now and see what Oly comes up with ... :watch:

iiiNelson

Generally I’m not interested in Olympus Micro 4/3 but I don’t wonder if Panasonic putting more money into L-Mount Alliance further weakened the developmental resources for Micro 4/3. I don’t know that there’s a huge market wanting a higher megapixel sensor in a micro 4/3 camera. The rest seems like evolutionary updates.

Knorp

Obviously I could do with more, but the current 20 MP is just fine for me. Now a better sensor IRT noise at higher ISO and faster read-out times would be most welcome.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Generally I’m not interested in Olympus Micro 4/3 but I don’t wonder if Panasonic putting more money into L-Mount Alliance further weakened the developmental resources for Micro 4/3. I don’t know that there’s a huge market wanting a higher megapixel sensor in a micro 4/3 camera. The rest seems like evolutionary updates.
I can tell you what I want WRT MP: I would be completely fine with 20MP, but please make it at least BSI!

Of course if BSI would allow also some more MP - say 24MP, I would take it as well, but not if high ISO and DR suffer too much.

It is as simple ...

Knorp

Even a BSI-sensor with higher MP and lower High ISO and DR (more noise) would be a No-No for me.
I just want better IQ from my µ43.

YMMV ... :p

iiiNelson

I can tell you what I want WRT MP: I would be completely fine with 20MP, but please make it at least BSI!

Of course if BSI would allow also some more MP - say 24MP, I would take it as well, but not if high ISO and DR suffer too much.

It is as simple ...
BSI alone doesn’t always “fix” high ISO performance. In Fuji cameras BSI made the high ISO performance “worse” while only gaining 2 megapixels. Stacked sensors are great for readout speed but not so much for DR. It’s an answer for quick action but at a cost to IQ.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BSI alone doesn’t always “fix” high ISO performance. In Fuji cameras BSI made the high ISO performance “worse” while only gaining 2 megapixels. Stacked sensors are great for readout speed but not so much for DR. It’s an answer for quick action but at a cost to IQ.
Hm, kind of have to agree, but I guess in Fuji cameras it was the reason that they also increased MP count from 24 to 26 MP while introducing BSI. I am pretty sure if they had stayed 24MP the high ISO performance would have improved - it actually has to, as there is more surface for entering light once you go BSI.

Anyway it would be great to see a substantially improved sensor after 4 years as development of sensor tech definitely moved on meanwhile. Also they could have increase number of PDAF points if only extending AF areas till the edges of the sensor - this alone would be a reasonable improvement. Albeit I fear this all will not happen in the EM1.3 release.

iiiNelson

Hm, kind of have to agree, but I guess in Fuji cameras it was the reason that they also increased MP count from 24 to 26 MP while introducing BSI. I am pretty sure if they had stayed 24MP the high ISO performance would have improved - it actually has to, as there is more surface for entering light once you go BSI.

Anyway it would be great to see a substantially improved sensor after 4 years as development of sensor tech definitely moved on meanwhile. Also they could have increase number of PDAF points if only extending AF areas till the edges of the sensor - this alone would be a reasonable improvement. Albeit I fear this all will not happen in the EM1.3 release.
I think Sony has shown that they will customize to anyone's liking... for a price. I don't know how healthy of a company Olympus is right now to develop a whole new generation of sensors. I also think many people craving more megapixels had decided to choose other formats for those needs.

Perhaps you can just buy a FF high megapixel sensor (or the like) and keep the Olympus for general happy snaps or your telephoto needs?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think Sony has shown that they will customize to anyone's liking... for a price. I don't know how healthy of a company Olympus is right now to develop a whole new generation of sensors. I also think many people craving more megapixels had decided to choose other formats for those needs.

Perhaps you can just buy a FF high megapixel sensor (or the like) and keep the Olympus for general happy snaps or your telephoto needs?
I think the financial health of Olympus camera division is most likely the issue for not getting a new sensor. I also heard that they again delayed the 150-400 till summer (that should have been introduced right now). Same issue -not enough money IMO.

Now WRT FF mirrorless - this is my opinion as well but currently I would not know what brand to select.

Sony - I am still not friends with again
Panasonic - too bulky and heavy for my taste
Leica - far too expensive and same issues as with Panasonic
Canon - would need to wait for their next RS camera release to see if I like this
Nikon - same as Canon, maybe a bit more likely as I was a Nikon shooter so all is more familiar to me

Anyway 2020 I am sure will bring the solution for me :thumbup:

iiiNelson

I think the financial health of Olympus camera division is most likely the issue for not getting a new sensor. I also heard that they again delayed the 150-400 till summer (that should have been introduced right now). Same issue -not enough money IMO.

Now WRT FF mirrorless - this is my opinion as well but currently I would not know what brand to select.

Sony - I am still not friends with again
Panasonic - too bulky and heavy for my taste
Leica - far too expensive and same issues as with Panasonic
Canon - would need to wait for their next RS camera release to see if I like this
Nikon - same as Canon, maybe a bit more likely as I was a Nikon shooter so all is more familiar to me

Anyway 2020 I am sure will bring the solution for me :thumbup:
Well good luck with that. I know you’ve been looking for years now. I think I’m good with Panasonic and Sony... took me a while to get there but mostly because I had to accept that everything was gonna be something of a major compromise somewhere. I love Canon’s lens designs but the bodies are atrocious to me. Sony has the least compromises in performance but I don’t love the singular body style with all lenses. Nikon is like a worse version of the Sony for me personally. Panasonic is waiting for the technology to catch up to their vision but I also think the reports are exaggerated a great deal... for photography uses because so much info on them is done by video people. Fuji is experiencing some QA/QC growth issues I believe still. Cell phones are doing well. Olympus is in a strange place outside of Asia... I don’t think their name carries as much weight.... and Pentax is quietly keeping their users very happy I suppose.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now confirmed it will be introduced on Feb. 12

• E-M1III to be announced in mid Feburary…maybe with the new 12-40mm f/4.0 lens
  • Same 20,4MP E-m1X sensor
  • E-M1III Has one more joystick
  • Same battery as E-M1II
  • New processor
  • Can do Handheld High Resolution shots
Meanwhile some shots with my new 1.2/50 PRO and the ancient EM1.2

https://adobe.ly/2Rit9bI

BTW all shot at F1.2
:thumbup::thumbs::thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I can only repeat myself, the EM1.3 looks rather underwhelming for me.

The following things did not get fixed/improved/upgraded:

1) Sensor - still the 4 year old design, no BSI
2) higher resolution EVF - in 2020 at least 3.6MP should be state of the art for a top end pro camera - actually even 5.7MP
3) I do not see any support for HEIC/HEFC still only old JPEG - this is a bummer and not adequate anymore

some other complaints:

4) I guess nobody really needs this 4/12-45 lens (to be announced with the EM1.3) that has almost same size as the 2.8/12-40. They should have brought at least a 10-40/2.8 or better 10-45/2.8

5) the 150-400 that is delayed again and it is a rather unnecessary lens for me and I guess for most others as well except some selected wildlife and sports shooters - a fast 70-300 PRO would have been what I was waiting for and also telling Olympus since many years ....

6) while High Res and handheld High Res is nice, I almost never use this feature. I rather had preferred a higher resolution sensor (whatever is possible in m43 like 24MP)

With all that I am not sure at all if I will invest in this EM1.3 as for me the difference to the EM1.2 is not big enough, and for that money (around €2k rumoured) I can get a much better solution for my needs - or just buy a Fujis X-Pro3 with one or two lenses and have some fun.

The main reason I am still putting so much emphasis into Olympus and their updates is because I am heavily invested in this system. But I think many other loyal Olympus shooters will feel similar meanwhile and that might not bode well for Olympus.

Sorry to say!

Elderly

It's not enough of an upgrade from the MkII for me - I'm disappointed.

The only useful plus for me, is the joystick.

If it wasn't for the size advantage of m4/3rd lenses in the focal lengths I use,
I would now be seriously thinking of moving up a sensor size.

If the XT-4 will have ............. I would be very tempted :rolleyes:.