The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Em1.3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's not enough of an upgrade from the MkII for me - I'm disappointed.

The only useful plus for me, is the joystick.

If it wasn't for the size advantage of m4/3rd lenses in the focal lengths I use,
I would now be seriously thinking of moving up a sensor size.

If the XT-4 will have ............. I would be very tempted :rolleyes:.
I am having quite similar thoughts for upgrading! And of course WRT MK3

Elderly

I felt that the OM-D EM-1 MkII had a number of worthwhile upgrades that I wanted over the MKI to justify my trade-up to it,
but I don't feel that the MKIII offers enough improvements to temp ME to trade-up again.

Knorp

I felt that the OM-D EM-1 MkII had a number of worthwhile upgrades that I wanted over the MKI to justify my trade-up to it,
but I don't feel that the MKIII offers enough improvements to temp ME to trade-up again.
I came to the same conclusion, Ian.
Saving up for the MkIV ... :sleep:

Brgds.

marlof

I see myself upgrading at some point to this camera. Not from the EM1.2, but from the 1.1. The EM1 is a great body to use with my 12-40, 40-150 and 25 pro lenses. Relatively lightweight and robust. The 1.1 is not my main camera (that’s the Pen-F with premium primes). This is my zoom and bad wet weather gear.

Last year I went to Iceland where cameras like this feel quite at home. Although I thought about getting a new version for that trip, I didn’t get to it. The 1.1 didn’t disappoint. But it is a bit of a senior citizen* in my camera bag now, so time to count my pennies at some time this year. Skipping a generation means I get to enjoy all the upgrades you’ve enjoyed in the past 3 years and then some extras. I do feel that Olympus has re-used as much parts as they could, to release a new model with limited R&D.

To me that’s fine. With the EM1 and the Pen-F, my photographic needs were pretty much fulfilled. Everything else is just a bonus. But I don’t know if this will be attracting many new customers, with other brands offering more jazz for similar prices. It’s just that I’m into indie rock, not jazz.

* The Pen-F is not much younger, but no version upgrades there alas.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am pretty much underwhelmed about the EM1.3 as I already mentioned several times in this thread, although then my opinion was based on rumors, but now it is based on real facts.

I need some more time to understand if I want to buy this upgrade. I almost never will shoot High Res and I almost never do star photography and I can survive with the 3 custom modes of the EM1.2. So not sure if I can qualify this update for me, especially as there are so many other mirrorless systems out there that suit my wishes better, actually much better.

So definitely I will wait before I either invest into another system (Fuji and Canon are on my shortlist) or if I decide to stay in Olympus land and eventually buy the EM1.3 as soon as prices go somehow down.

I had expected so much more and Olympus really let me down on this one and I guess many others feel the same way. Which might not bode well finally for Olympus.

raist3d

Godfrey

I don't know what's wrong with the sensor. I have the original E-M1 ... Hardly use it these days but not because it doesn't perform very well. What's the big deal?

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's not OLED, it's LCD. The same LCD to be exact :)

- Ricardo
Yes Ricardo,

I had to learn that as well - was obviously just wishful thinking!

To be exact it is the same LCD like in the EM1X that supports progressive scan. Olympus is very keen to argue the advantages. For me I cam see a little bit better than the EM1.2 but definitely nothing to write home about.

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't know what's wrong with the sensor. I have the original E-M1 ... Hardly use it these days but not because it doesn't perform very well. What's the big deal?

G
What's wrong is that it is not at least a BSI sensor that would improve DR and high ISO significantly - especially as long as the resolution stays the same.

biglouis

I thought I read somewhere that Sony already has a m43rds BSI sensor? Or was working on one?

How can they have one UHS-II slot and one UHS-I slot on this new camera? That smacks of a ridiculous attitude towards their consumers.

BTW, I am still thinking hard about the EM1X+300/4 for birding. I'm going to wait until after the X-T4 announcement in case Fuji slip in some fixed prime telephotos other than the ridiculously expensive and too short 200/2.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I thought I read somewhere that Sony already has a m43rds BSI sensor? Or was working on one?

How can they have one UHS-II slot and one UHS-I slot on this new camera? That smacks of a ridiculous attitude towards their consumers.

BTW, I am still thinking hard about the EM1X+300/4 for birding. I'm going to wait until after the X-T4 announcement in case Fuji slip in some fixed prime telephotos other than the ridiculously expensive and too short 200/2.

LouisB
Louis,

I am so p.....o.. because of reasons like the 2nd UHS1 slot and the mediocre EVF and not using that Sony BSI m43 sensor.

I guess they plan to introduce another high end cam, maybe the EM1X2 next year with that BSI sensor then and maybe 2x Truepic 9 processors and sell this then as their new high end model- If we are lucky we might then see also another finally better EVF.

Anyway I have decided to stay with Olympus at least for now so either I go the EM1.3 route (believe it or not it still offers enough improvements for me above the EM1.2 - slightly better EVF from the EM1X, musher faster and better AF with Face and Eye detection and in body charging - finally) or wait for that magic new high end camera sometimes next year. The Olympus PRO lenses are just so good that I do not want to separate with them, especially also the high speed primes like the 1.2/25.

WRT Fuji X-T4 I have high hopes for this camera and I heard some rumours that they are going to introduce some prime tele lenses with it or a bit later, but before the summer 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Would make sense.

I am still not ruling out that wonderful 100-400 zoom lens - if I buy back into the X system this will be a lens I add.

Last edited:

biglouis

Louis,

WRT Fuji X-T4 I have high hopes for this camera and I heard some rumours that they are going to introduce some prime tele lenses with it or a bit later, but before the summer 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Would make sense.

I am still not ruling out that wonderful 100-400 zoom lens - if I buy back into the X system this will be a lens I add.
I don't need another body from Fuji. The X-T3 rocks for wildlife because you basically have an A9 in APS-C format but a lot, lot cheaper. I knew going into the system that the 100-400 would be a great spring/summer lens but in winter here in the UK I am lucky to get days when I can shoot below iso3200. You might think the 200/2 would then be ideal but even with the crop and the 1.4x extender I am not sure it is long enough (even though it is plenty fast). On top of that it costs more than buying an A9+200-600, or a Z6+PF500/5.6, and much more than the EM1X+300/4. So, the super fast option does not make economic sense. I've even been thinking about adapting a Canon 300/4 IS L with the Fringer EF/XF adapter as a way of keeping my investment in the X-T3 but getting faster glass. Fuji needs to give us wildlife enthusiasts a 300/4 prime lens.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't need another body from Fuji. The X-T3 rocks for wildlife because you basically have an A9 in APS-C format but a lot, lot cheaper. I knew going into the system that the 100-400 would be a great spring/summer lens but in winter here in the UK I am lucky to get days when I can shoot below iso3200. You might think the 200/2 would then be ideal but even with the crop and the 1.4x extender I am not sure it is long enough (even though it is plenty fast). On top of that it costs more than buying an A9+200-600, or a Z6+PF500/5.6, and much more than the EM1X+300/4. So, the super fast option does not make economic sense. I've even been thinking about adapting a Canon 300/4 IS L with the Fringer EF/XF adapter as a way of keeping my investment in the X-T3 but getting faster glass. Fuji needs to give us wildlife enthusiasts a 300/4 prime lens.

LouisB
For me the biggest advantages of that rumoured X-T4 would be IBIS and the finally larger battery (I always hated these small Fuji batteries used up till now!)

I think you might be lucky and we will see such a 300/4 or similar prime lens from Fuji.

Godfrey

What's wrong is that it is not at least a BSI sensor that would improve DR and high ISO significantly - especially as long as the resolution stays the same.
Okay... I guess I just am not very sensitive to these lacks. The E-M1 seems to work very well, I'm sure the newer models work even better.

G

raist3d

I'm waiting for the rumoured GX10; smaller, simpler, same image quality...
Any rumored GX10 specs? I am not expecting much from Panasonic either. The GX9 has the 20 MP sensor already. And Panasonic needs to get their act together with their latest builds like GX9 and GX850 where the Rear wheel dial starts to get annoyingly jumpy after 3-6 months.

- Ricardo

raist3d

BSI doesn't automatically improve DR and high iso significantly. Actually not that much if any.
What BSI allows you to do more is put more megapixels while keeping those values ballpark same.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BSI doesn't automatically improve DR and high iso significantly. Actually not that much if any.
What BSI allows you to do more is put more megapixels while keeping those values ballpark same.

- Ricardo
Which means in turn if you keep MP count the same that high ISO should improve as well as DR. Maybe it is not much but at least enough to satisfy the effort.

Anyway it seems m43 is currently stuck at 20MP and this is what makes me really think if I should further invest in the same sensor in an even newer camera which features I do no really use such as high res etc. or wait till they manage to bring a MP increased sensor. And so far I am resisting :thumbup: