The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G9 viewfinder is black

MY new Panasonic G9 will not display in the viewfinder, (rear LCD is ok and I can take a picture using it to frame a scene). It does this with all four of my lens. All four lens display in the viewfinder on my G85 body so its not the lens. Tried reset in the setup menu and cycling the V/mode button but no joy. Worked fine when first received in Dec 2019. Any ideas? Oh, and I got a "lens not attached properly" error message so I remounted it multiple times in case the contacts were dirty.

New information. If I close the rear LCD screen, the viewfinder works. If I open the rear LCD screen it goes black again. Cannot get both viewfinder & rear LCD screen to function simultaneously. I think I should be able to use both and have the rear LCD screen disable when my eye is up to the viewfinder and the viewfinder disable when my eye is not at the viewfinder (at least that's the way my G85 works). The viewfinder eye detection doesn't seem to be working.

Found it. The "eye sensor" parameter in the setup menu was not set to auto switch between viewfinder and rear LCD (I have no idea how it got that way). It's good to kill your own snakes but these things are getting way too complicated.

Last edited:

Knorp

Similar issue here with my back-button auto-focus setting on my EM1-II, because the way this is implemented is, at least to me, not very intuitive.
So after some time, say weeks, when I want auto-focus to be re-assigned to the release button, I'm totally baffled and frantically going back and forth endlessly through the menu.
Come to think of it: perhaps I should write it down - one day ... :banghead:

Kind regards.

I hear you Bart

I did a factory reset on my camera in the course of troubleshooting the problem, so I need to:

* Set appropriate parameters to my selections.
* Document each of them on paper.
* Place each of my changed parameters in the "MY MENU" section so that I can find them quickly ("MY MENU" is wonderful)
* Save the final setup to a custom function on the mode dial.

There are probably 200+ or so parameters in one of these cameras and finding a specific one isn't quick if you are new to the camera.

All things considered, I like the G9 very much. My lens set is all Panasonic and consists of 12-35mm f/2.8 MKII,
35-100mm f/2.8 MKII, 45mm f/2.8 Macro and the 20mm f/1.7. I can carry them all with little effort.

Paul

Last edited:

Knorp

All things considered, I like the G9 very much. My lens set is all Panasonic and consists of 12-35mm f/2.8 MKII,
35-100mm f/2.8 MKII, 45mm f/2.8 Macro and the 20mm f/1.7. I can carry them all with little effort.

Paul
The G9 certainly is fine camera, although the release button is a little trigger-happy, but with ampel grip.
I too had the 12-35/2.8 Mk-I, 35-100/2.8 Mk-I and 45/2.8, but alas all stolen.
Alongside my Olympus gear (µ43&43), I have these Panaleicas; 15/1.7 Summilux, 42,5/1.2 Nocticron, 50/1.4 Summilux (43).

Hi Bart

The half press on the shutter really is overly sensitive, I use the AF/AE button and the "AF/AE LOCK" parameter to lock both focus and exposure.
When I go for the shutter button, I ignore the half press and just go for it. Seems to work.

Paul