The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problems with flash on EM1 mk2

eddystone

This may be a case of something buried in the menus that I haven't found yet. I was trying to use the supplied mini flash (can't remember model number) to provide a bit of fill light on a face in an outdoor situation. The ambient light was fading as it was around sunset but every flash option I tried in the menus just illuminated the portrait with flash only and reduced the background exposure, even though I reduced the flash percentage. Seem to remember on my old Canon 5D it was possible to control ambient exposure on the front dial and flash on the rear - I remember years ago doing a children's Ball at my daughter's then school and it worked exceptionally well.

PerThorup

This may be a case of something buried in the menus that I haven't found yet. I was trying to use the supplied mini flash (can't remember model number) to provide a bit of fill light on a face in an outdoor situation. The ambient light was fading as it was around sunset but every flash option I tried in the menus just illuminated the portrait with flash only and reduced the background exposure, even though I reduced the flash percentage. Seem to remember on my old Canon 5D it was possible to control ambient exposure on the front dial and flash on the rear - I remember years ago doing a children's Ball at my daughter's then school and it worked exceptionally well.

It works for me if you select 'Fill In' from the flash menu and use Aperature shooting mode - a lot like Canon in many ways. It is not working properly in Program mode.
Regards
Per

Godfrey

I don't know about the Mark II, I have the EM-1 original.

For fill flash, I set the camera to manual exposure, set the flash on automatic with a -1.5 to -2 EV setting, meter and make settings for the ambient light and the flash fills nicely. I use an ancient Olympus FL360 model flash unit and it works very very well, but I'm pretty sure the mini flash that the camera was supplied with does the same thing.

G