Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic G1 45-200mm

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic G1 45-200mm

There seems little comment on this lens and I haven't seen many examples of it. I didn't get one when I bought the camera and am wondering whether to get one now. Advice and pictures please.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic G1 45-200mm

Well, since no one has stepped in here, I'll take a stab at it. I bought the lens shortly after I got my G1. I'm not much of a tele shooter but did want something longer than 45mm. I find it a very nice lens--I like faster lens across the board so did buy the FD 135 f/2.8, but the 45-200 is usually in my bag. IF--you don't shoot tele much, you might consider an MF longer lens, but that would depend upon how and for what you use it. I've seen wildlife, architecture, landscapes, flora, portraits--all done with the 45-200.

I have a number of 45-200 shots in my G1 gallery--here are a few that may give you an idea of various uses.

I wouldn't presume to advise whether to get it or not, but I do like it and am not sorry I bought it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice shots, Diane ! I like your dog portret specially, because my parents had one toy poodle that looked very much the same ....

To avoid having 45-200 pics in 2 threads, could the mods merge this thread with mine ???

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I forgot to mention my opinion about the lens

I like it a lot as long as the focal length stay under or around 100mm. Then it is well possible to shoot handheld, and go home with reasonably sharp pictures. Little or no motion blur.

However, if you use this lens at the long end of the focal range, I find it mandatory to use a tripod. The lens is not very fast and motion blur occurs more often than I would prefer. I find that motion blur happens more often than with a "old 35mm" lens of 400mm, probably because the kit lens is very light , and easily set in motion. Putting the lens on a tripod slows down the process tremendously, and adds a lot of weight to the package you have to carry around. Thus, taking away a major advantage of the µFT system, being its light weight.

Just my appreciation, of course, and I'm also interested in reading yours !!

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had the 45-200 for about a month now, and I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about it.

Good glass is expensive, so for the price, it's a decent lens, with IS; but, it's noticeably softer than the 14-45 lens in the corners, and softens more past about 125 mm.

I decided to keep it, but I consider it to be a 45 - 125 lens, with use at 150 to 200 mm only if I really need the extra reach. If I did a lot of telephoto work, I'd probably replace it with one of the Olympus teles.

I've attached a couple of samples. Nothing artistic, I just stepped outside my back door a took a few snapshots of the doves at the bird feeder. The first is the full image downsized to 800 x 600. The next is a 100% crop from the center. This was taken as a RAW file and processed in Silkpix.

regards
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bg2b

I've got one. I'd agree that it's fine for the money, but it's not going to knock your socks off optically compared to something like the Olympus 50-200mm. Of course, it's not going to break your back like the Olympus either...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    I've got one. I'd agree that it's fine for the money, but it's not going to knock your socks off optically compared to something like the Olympus 50-200mm. Of course, it's not going to break your back like the Olympus either...
    Well there's my problem. I have the Oly 50-200. Optically it's great but the manual focus is awful, no feel to it, no distance scale or stops and very difficult to use when things are moving quickly. The 12-60 is much better because it has real mechanical focusing. I really miss AF on the tele for wildlife and motor sport to the extent that I'm thinking of buying either the Panasonic lens or, for about the same or rather less money, an e420 body just for tele work.

Comments above lead me down the e420 route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some more pics for you :

@45mm

@100mm

@200mm

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Its interesting that there are so many fewer 45-200 photos than for the 14-45 thread. It leads one to a conclusion that this lens is used a lot less than the kit lens--I wonder?!?!? I do know that I carry it less--use it less also. For my part, its primarily because I tend to shoot under 45mm primarily. Is it the same for others or are they using other long lenses??

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Its interesting that there are so many fewer 45-200 photos than for the 14-45 thread. It leads one to a conclusion that this lens is used a lot less than the kit lens--I wonder?!?!? I do know that I carry it less--use it less also. For my part, its primarily because I tend to shoot under 45mm primarily. Is it the same for others or are they using other long lenses??

Diane
    Same with me Diane. It is a good lens, but at least so far I haven't used the 45-200 very often. Other long lenses I do use occasionally with the G1 are the CV 75mm f/2.5 Heliar and the Canon FD 85mm f/1.8.

Carl

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Its interesting that there are so many fewer 45-200 photos than for the 14-45 thread. It leads one to a conclusion that this lens is used a lot less than the kit lens--I wonder?!?!? I do know that I carry it less--use it less also. For my part, its primarily because I tend to shoot under 45mm primarily. Is it the same for others or are they using other long lenses?
    I would guess it's simply because it's almost impossible to buy a new G1 without the 14-45 lens, but the 45-200 is an optional purchase... and a fairly costly one at that. So, the universe of 14-45 users is much larger, meaning the pool of post-worthy 14-45 pictures is proportionally larger as well.

Personally, I get very little use out of the 14-45 and have almost no incentive to buy the 45-200, because I'm primarily an indoor picture-taker and both of them are so dratted slooooooow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

I use the 45-200 much less often than the 14-45mm
    Maybe only 20% of my pics is made with that lens.

It's certainly not a bad lens, but once over 100mm of focal length, I find it very hard to make crisp and sharp pics. That means that for me, 66% of the focal bandwith is not very useful. Or I need to take a tripod.

Further, the 14-45mm performs so well in close-ups. And, it's spring time, so many flowers etc to take ....

C U,
    Rafael

Irwell

I have only had the G1 for 3 weeks and the 45/200 for a week,
    here is my shot.
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/irwell/P1000787ab.jpg
    Last edited by Irwell; 21st April 2009 at 18:29.

Irwell

How do you get to insert theimage as part of the
    message?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are a couple of ways. If the image is on your hard drive. Hit the go advanced button and then use the paperclip. If you are linking to your picture on line use the little square with the mountain in it and and paste in your url

Here are instructions

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54

Irwell

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    There are a couple of ways. If the image is on your hard drive. Hit the go advanced button and then use the paperclip. If you are linking to your picture on line use the little square with the mountain in it and and paste in your url

Here are instructions

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54
    Thanks for the info,TEB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

One from me.

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

Where have you been hiding that shot of the Golden Gate? If you've posted it before I surely missed it, but it's a wowzer. Among its other attributes, the framing of the Transamerica Tower in the top tier of the bridge tower is something I've never seen before. Just beautiful.

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mike - Nice to hear from you. Thanks on the shot....I had a great afternoon/evening a couple of months ago. Here is the thread where I originally posted the series:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4857

Post Thanks / Like

All taken with the 45-200mm.

Finally, from last weekend, a shot that is difficult for the G1 to get. Fast action.

Helio Castroneves, fresh from his tax case acquittal, on the track doing what he does so well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

great first shot, love the layering with the buses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason my 45-200 was performing like a coke bottle bottom today. I think the IS may have been out of whack.

False Hellebore at 200mm, handheld.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little bit intimidated by the quality of the photos that I generally see here from the regular contributors, and as a beginning amateur I won't be able to keep up - but you gotta start somewhere... I drove by Waikiki on my way home tonight and got a few shots in. I was wondering why so many of them were overexposed until I realized after a while that I - somehow - had set the ISO from auto to 800 So here are just a few water shots... JPGS with minimal cropping and a bit of taking out the highlights. The jumper is one of the ISO800 shots, the others came after I noticed it. Once I understand my camera better, I will try to learn more about post processing...

Stefan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Stefan,
    I like the first one the best with the body surfer looking out posssibly for that big wave and the woman on the raft oblivious to that and the couple. No worries about posting. That is what this forum is all about. Having fun and learning from each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have used the 45-200 more than 90% of the time becos I usually shoot birds. Most of my shots are taken hand-held at 400mm and very often 800mm in EZ mode. Sometimes I use the tripod and it certainly gives sharper images.
    Here is a sample, hopes it gets inserted!

Overall I am very happy with the results for the price we paid. I have sold my G1 but kept the 45-200 mm lens and the 4/3 adapter becos I am waiting for the GH1. I am not happy with the noise patches in a lot of my pics.

More pics taken with 45-200 can be viewed at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricseet...7611991148410/

would certainly appreciate your ideas on how I can reduce the noise background.

Cheers

Thank you.

ric

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after the above birds, not sure if I want to share this one or not. I'm not a 'bird shooter' but rather a bird watcher. As this female Northern Cardinal came back time after time to bathe in the lower pool below the waterfall in our small pond, I felt I had to at least try LOL. Turned out fairly well--I was attracted by the reflection.

Diane B

tripper

I am new to the G1 and own both 'kit lens'

Here are a few taken with the 45-200mm (handheld)

1. 155mm f/5.6 iso100

2 189mm /5.6 iso200

And a couple of 'high iso' shots

I appreciate these last two are not normal high iso 'territory'

3. 128mm f/6.3 iso800

4. 200mm f/8 iso1600

tripper

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3 different lenses to shoot these today--FD 50 f/1.8, FD 135 f/2.8 and the 45-200. The Panny distinguished itself nicely. Blue Sky iris 200mm f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO200

Diane B

tripper

Another shot of my Cocker spaniel 'Jess'

45mm f/6.3 1/400s iso100

tripper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Diane and Tripper : super shots, lovely iris, lovely dog !!!

Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a male pheasant from our woodlands (@ 200mm) :

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Raf, you live in such a beautiful area--what part of the world is it??

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi, Diane,

I'm quite surprised that you think our country is so beautiful, because it is just Belgium
    I live in a little village, called La Hulpe, that is ca 10 miles from Brussels, and we are lucky to have an immense forest here.

C U,
    rafael

tripper

More from the 45-200mm

1. Mother 136mm f/6.3 iso100

2. and babies 172mm f/6.3 iso200

3. Heron (hanging around hoping for duckling for dinner ?) 166mm f/7.1 iso200

tripper
    Last edited by tripper; 16th May 2009 at 08:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't plan to shoot birds today--I'm not a bird shooter, but after getting our pool opened, sitting up there with a book, music and a glass of wine--I found I couldn't resist some bird pics. We have many of the indigenous birds on the farm--even 12 vultures circling overhead today---but these are 'social' birds that live close with us. With the 45-200

Eastern Bluebird waiting to catch food in the pasture for his brood.

male Bluebird just having fed his brood

and a Northern Mockingbird--who has been around a bit because I counted 14 distinct songs--maybe more.

There's some noticeable noise in the background, but I decided to not do any NR--it really doesn't bother me.

and the waterlilies have just started to bloom--Texas Dawn, the first to bloom and the last.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    These are just lovely. My two favorites are the mother duck and the water lilly. The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

terry

tripper

TEBnewyork said

"The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

Allow me to answer for Diane terry 1st thanks for the kind words. No reflector used and no 'special' processing. I do shoot raw in AWB and I find the G1 daylight pictures often need 'warming up' plus a slight 'S' curve for contrast and sharpening after resize.

tripper

Post Thanks / Like

Tripper, I agree. I liked the duck photo also--good exposure, composition---but the little ones were a neat capture.

I shoot in RAW and always do 'capture sharpening' and other tweaks (always an S toning curve)--and then output sharpening after resizing.

I've not been much of a 45-200 shooter--and def. not a bird shooter--but I couldn't resist yesterday. And--of course, our gardens just are hard to resist LOL. I'd really like to get out of the 'flora' shooting rut, but need to take day trips with reasonable weather---and both have been hard to come by--so I find subjects on the farm for the most part *smile*.

Diane

pnd1

Thanks for this thread -- it shows the versatility of this useful lens. I use mine in travel photography. It is always on my G1 (I use a compact Leica D-Lux 4 for focal lengths between 24mm and 70mm equivalents.) And it is always hand held -- I am constantly shifting vantage points and find a tripod to be unwieldy. Here are four examples of this lens in use at maximum zoom (400mm equivalent):

1. Union Square, New York City. In this case, I am using the long focal length to compress distance and juxtapose subjects that are city blocks apart.

2. Mountain Landscape, near Arivaca, Arizona. I often use this long focal length for distant landscapes. The mountains and clouds are many miles away, yet I can emphasize them within my frame.

3. Street scene, Bisbee, Arizona. I find this lens very useful in street photography. I made this shot from a distance, compressing a series of store fronts between the two figures in the scene. I find that the 400mm focal length allows me to become virtually invisible when shooting from a distance, particularly when using the flip out viewfinder of the G1 at waist level.

4. Lasso, Wickenburg, Arizona. The long 400mm focal length of this lens allows me to shoot a cowboy mural on a building a block away, and the use softly focused landscaping in the foreground as an incongruous target for the cowboy's lasso.

pnd1

A question: I just posted some images here for the first time. I want to add a space between each of them them, but can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pnd1 View Post
    A question: I just posted some images here for the first time. I want to add a space between each of them them, but can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil, I juse use the enter key to add some spaces between my images. You could also put your description as a header for each one also--thus separating them. I just ended up at last post in this thread so have to go back and look at yours.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tripper View Post
    TEBnewyork said

"The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

Allow me to answer for Diane terry 1st thanks for the kind words. No reflector used and no 'special' processing. I do shoot raw in AWB and I find the G1 daylight pictures often need 'warming up' plus a slight 'S' curve for contrast and sharpening after resize.

tripper
    Yikes !!!! I'm sorry Tripper! I was thinking it was all one big post. Duh!

pnd1

Thanks, Diane. That was my original intention. After writing each description, I uploaded each picture. But when I previewed my post, the descriptions were grouped together and the pictures were grouped together, so I must not be doing it correctly.

It works as it stands, but I would like to add a space between each of the photos. I clicked on "Edit," placed a curser on the right hand edge of the first picture, and hit the "enter" key, but nothing happened. I am new to this interface, so need a bit more help.

Thanks,
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Diane. That was my original intention. After writing each description, I uploaded each picture. But when I previewed my post, the descriptions were grouped together and the pictures were grouped together, so I must not be doing it correctly.

It works as it stands, but I would like to add a space between each of the photos. I clicked on "Edit," placed a curser on the right hand edge of the first picture, and hit the "enter" key, but nothing happened. I am new to this interface, so need a bit more help.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil--I bet you are looking at your actual post (scrolled below). You need to edit from within the white text box. When you hit the 'edit' button---you need to go to the top of your window and edit in the white box with the text--put your cursor behind your [img]*****, etc. and hit enter for each space---then you need to click on 'save' to make the edits stick.

Hope this makes sense--but the text box for the editing should appear at the top of your 'scroll', so to speak.

Diane

tripper

TEBnewyork said

"Yikes !!!! I'm sorry Tripper! I was thinking it was all one big post. Duh!"

No problem terry, I am flattered that you could mistake one of my pictures for Diane's

tripper

pnd1

Thanks for trying to help, Diane. I just went back to my post, hit the edit button, and looked into the white box. My text is there, but there is nothing in that box that says IMG. There's nothing for me to work with in that box in terms of spacing out my pictures.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

In the zone

Playing hard to get

Both taken at 400mm equivalent @ f5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for trying to help, Diane. I just went back to my post, hit the edit button, and looked into the white box. My text is there, but there is nothing in that box that says IMG. There's nothing for me to work with in that box in terms of spacing out my pictures.

Phil
    How are you loading pictures? Are you uploading from your computer or posting a link from the web.

If from your computer use the paperclip and chose the files. Once you it upload and the files get loaded you can close that box.

Attachment 16443

If you go back to the paper clip, you can insert all or pick the ones individually that you want to load.

Attachment 16444

If you insert all (they sometimes don't all come out in the order you want but try it), then you will get a line of text for each image. Insert the spaces between those lines of text. See images below

Attachment 16445