The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noisy ??????

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I posted this picture in another forum, and got a comment on it being very noisy.
The critic said : 'so noisy at 400iso, how did you do that ?'

Is this pic really noisy ?
I can't see it ???

Please let me know if you find it utterly noisy for 400iso !

C U
Rafael

Jonas

Hi,

I posted this picture in another forum, and got a comment on it being very noisy.
(...)
Please let me know if you find it utterly noisy for 400iso !​

Yes, it is noisy, to my eyes. It is a sort of ugly blotchy noise I find very different from smooth noise, and even more different than film grain type noise. That is to my eyes and I really don't mind some noise. I do have a problem with patterned noise, banding, streaks and blotches.

In the big 100% crop version the noise can't be missed. In the smaller version I see quite some noise but there are some areas where it is more disturbing (=blotchy) than in other ones. See for example above the red petals (left top red flower). Then there is also more of it in the darker brownish areas and in some of the transitions between brown and red.

I think there are several reasons causing it: The monitor seem to play a role, the image is 104 kB, maybe some JPG compression methods has a part of it, the small sensor of course and then also how Panasonic implemented everything. I see this most often in images from Panasonic and Olympus cameras and from some Pentax cameras.

Looking at 100% crops is pretty much meaningless to me. I have found thet 50% size is better as it more clearly shows patterns and blotches and at the same time is closer to real life (medium big prints and big presentations).

I can't say if it is a lot or not for a G1 and ISO400.

regards, /Jonas​

Jonas

This was interesting. One of my problems with the G1 is the noise at base ISO. Here it seems as the obvious noise at ISO400 doesn't matter enough for people to post a reply.

Maybe I should stop worrying. ;)

--
Jonas

iiiNelson

To me the G1 is fine all the way up to ISO 800 (for color) and ISO 1600 (for B&W and the occasional color shot that comes through "just right.") Sometimes the ISO 3200 stuff can be used for B&W web images IMO.

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for your feedback, Jonas and hiredarm !

I reworked the same pic according to Kweide's workflow, and threw it through "Neat image" before continuing the processing.

This is the result now :

From now on, I will be checking for noise in my pics as soon as the ISO exceeds 200 :cry:

C U,
Rafael

endre novak

Thanks for your feedback, Jonas and hiredarm !

I reworked the same pic according to Kweide's workflow, and threw it through "Neat image" before continuing the processing.

This is the result now :

From now on, I will be checking for noise in my pics as soon as the ISO exceeds 200 :cry:

C U,
Rafael
Indeed the first version was noisy but not so disturbing. However, the second version is just too much processed, yet to me the noise or its traces are still around. So, i would opt for the first version, as it is.
Personally I do not go beyond 200ASA with G1. It is a daylight camera but for that it rocks. In fact, to me it occurs that it is very sensitive at 100.
cheers,

E

elf

This was interesting. One of my problems with the G1 is the noise at base ISO. Here it seems as the obvious noise at ISO400 doesn't matter enough for people to post a reply.

Maybe I should stop worrying. ;)

--
Jonas
The first responder said it all.:grin: