The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G100

raist3d

Im hoping that the G9 successor takes a more S1/S1R style design. I guess the fully articulating screens are fine for videocentric models but for photography I want the screen to remain inline with the lens.
Yes, I also highly prefer tilt-LCD and not fully articulated for street work. I want to see if Panasonic does a GX10.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So did anyone get it? Jorgen? :)

- Ricardo
Not yet. The pandemic has reduced my income, so all camera spendings are on hold for the time being. I do still see it as a very likely replacement for my GM5 though, and I need a small camera, so it's on the list. I might need to buy a G95 or G9 before the G100 though, since I'm doing more video production and need something that is more suitable than the GX8 for that.

iiiNelson

Not yet. The pandemic has reduced my income, so all camera spendings are on hold for the time being. I do still see it as a very likely replacement for my GM5 though, and I need a small camera, so it's on the list. I might need to buy a G95 or G9 before the G100 though, since I'm doing more video production and need something that is more suitable than the GX8 for that.
Id be on the lookout for a gently used GH5 as well since a lot of people are looking to go full frame and/or Super 35. Might be doable in your budget since they’re selling new for about $1200 in the US. Used they may be close in price to a new G100.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Id be on the lookout for a gently used GH5 as well since a lot of people are looking to go full frame and/or Super 35. Might be doable in your budget since they’re selling new for about $1200 in the US. Used they may be close in price to a new G100.
The problem with used GH5 bodies is that they have often been subject to heavy video use. When they come with 1,200 clicks and 6 batteries, you know that it wasn't used for portrait photography :ROTFL:
While the physical wear is typically lower on cameras that have been used mainly for video, it's a question how the heat influences the durability of the electronics.

With prices for new ones going down, that is probably a better bet.

iiiNelson

The problem with used GH5 bodies is that they have often been subject to heavy video use. When they come with 1,200 clicks and 6 batteries, you know that it wasn't used for portrait photography :ROTFL:
While the physical wear is typically lower on cameras that have been used mainly for video, it's a question how the heat influences the durability of the electronics.

With prices for new ones going down, that is probably a better bet.
I don’t disagree in general. I think I’m more cases than not - the camera goes mostly unused when there are “1200 clicks and 6 batteries.” I agree that the price of a new camera is low enough to where it makes sense to get a new one or await the next model at this point. It’s rumored that the GH6 should arrive by the fall... I personally may very well go that direction with a 10-25/1.7.

I think a lot of people have big plans for capable cameras but often barely use them as much as intended when the purchase happened... this is even more true with folks that change bodies to every new version. I was just talking to a friend of mine about how my newest Sony body has been with me for just over 5 years now and my oldest FF ones are going on 7 years old... still have a 10+ year old NEX-5 too.

raist3d

So I have to say, waiting on EM10 MIV official announcement. It's a bit smaller it seems than Em5 MKIII by a hair, but keeps IBIS to 4.5 stops, the all important (for me) TILT LCD, will have the 20 MP sensor and hopefully, Auto ISO rolls to 25600 (unlike EM5 MKIII and all PDAF Olympus m43rds cameras which Auto ISO can only roll to ISO 6400).

It's ironic, but I may be more interested in this camera than the EM5 mKIII. I need to see how much Olympus cripples is when it's announced next week.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This video plays like an influencer/Lumix ambassador with the dose of strange ;-)
He's an oddball for sure. Darryl Carey has also announced that he will review the G100 within the near future and has already stated that he finds it to be a very useful camera for many other things than vlogging. Although he's also a Panasonic fanboy, he's pretty serious about his testing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are vintage camera enthusiasts, and then there are camera enthusiasts who are vintage. Great little review of the G100:

raist3d

Hi, this is Raist3d from the future taking to a thread of the past- where he is now considering getting one after all.
Why? I realize that a defining characteristic of my street photography in the cameras I have done the most work is *small* (Pentax Q/Q7, Nikon 1 J4, GM5, EPL9/EP7).

GRRR.

Playing with a Canon M200 right now believe it or not. But I wonder if a G100 would make more sense given it's cheaper now, and uses all the lenses I have already MFT, plus the lenses are smaller still than the Canon F1.4's class. I have to admit though that Canon has surprised me more than I expected.

raist3d

I looked at their Japanese website w/ marketing for the camera. They cite it has improved AF and face detect over the "G99"-> I guess this must be the G90. I would be surprised if this is using the DFD system from the G9, but sure seems like it's better DFD than the GX9.

raist3d

Got one so some thoughts:
- Camera is small but not that much smaller than an OM10.4
- EVF is high res and is nice. And the sequencing of the display doesn't bother me. However, the EVF itself seems to have plastic or something in it and unless you look directly at the center, you get this weird optical blurry distortion effect.

Not what I was expecting on that one.
EVF shows pincushion too.
- Startup is fast
- Not testing video/3d audio- don't care about that, looking at it as a small stills camera
- Ergonomics seem reasonable for the size
- Concerned the real wheel will pick up dust quick and get jumpy like what happened on the GX9 and GX850
- EVF display crushes the blacks
- LCD is high res and bright
- UI and screen are very responsive
- Face detect seems improved over GM5 for sure, maybe GX9
- Price is good at ~$497 USD

I think I am returning it. Trying to focus on *small* and been using a bit my GM5 again. Not sure going this camera away is worth forsaking IBIS of OM10.4 and better mechanical shutter.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Got one so some thoughts:
- Camera is small but not that much smaller than an OM10.4
- EVF is high res and is nice. And the sequencing of the display doesn't bother me. However, the EVF itself seems to have plastic or something in it and unless you look directly at the center, you get this weird optical blurry distortion effect.

Not what I was expecting on that one.
EVF shows pincushion too.
- Startup is fast
- Not testing video/3d audio- don't care about that, looking at it as a small stills camera
- Ergonomics seem reasonable for the size
- Concerned the real wheel will pick up dust quick and get jumpy like what happened on the GX9 and GX850
- EVF display crushes the blacks
- LCD is high res and bright
- UI and screen are very responsive
- Face detect seems improved over GM5 for sure, maybe GX9
- Price is good at ~$497 USD

I think I am returning it. Trying to focus on *small* and been using a bit my GM5 again. Not sure going this camera away is worth forsaking IBIS of OM10.4 and better mechanical shutter.
To me, the G100 looks like an excellent camera with one glaring omission: the lack of IBIS. That is particularly pusling since it was marketed as a Vlogger's camera. What I have seen of video from this camera is actually very impressive, but again: it's limited due to the lack of IBIS, and carrying a tripod or gimbal would negate the size advantage. Strange decision by Panasonic.

raist3d

Also the EVF quite frankly isn't great. Pin cushioned, using some plastic lens that deviate from dead center and you see a weird blur with an optical artifact.

raist3d

So just wanted to report- I returned it. The two issues are that it's a bit close to size to EM10MIV which has IBIS, and the real deal breaker for me is that the EVF which on paper looks so promising, is so horrible to the point I prefer the GM5 EVF to it. That's not a typo!

The G100 EVF has
- severe pincushion
- some form of plastic lens that if you don't look directly from the center you get blur/optical artifacts and
- the multi scan display they are using crushes blacks like 1-2 stops too early.

Finally the color profiling/gamut of the EVF has a severe mismatch with the LCD. And even the LCD's doesn't strike me as very accurate, though better.

It is the EVF and LCD that were the deal breaker to me. Once you get past the "vlog life" marketing push, it' snot a bad stills micro four thirds camera that's affordable and has a reasonable UI.

I am still concerned the rear dial wheel will become jumpy with little dust though.