The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G100

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This might be the future of MFT for me:

- Low price (I saw it somewhere, $7-800 I think)
- Very lightweight (303g without battery, 412g including battery and 12-32mm lens)
- Fully articulated LCD
- Viewfinder
- 3.5 mm mic jack
- Seemingly good ergonomics although lacking some buttons and wheels.
- Probably the same image quality as most other MFT cameras.

GM5 replacement but advanced enough to replace the GX8 for many uses. Simpler, smaller, cheaper... more focus on the image?

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-leaked-images-of-the-new-panasonic-g100/

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cute for sure - but it is very tiny, isn't it ?
You've never tried a GM5, have you? :ROTFL:

It's 115 x 82.5 x 54.2mm. The GX9 is 124 x 72 x 47 and the GM5 99 x 60 x 36. The Canon M50, which is very similar in shape, is 116 x 88 x 59 mm.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No IBIS. Max mechanical shutter speed 1/500s?

A Z50 which costs about the same, lacks IBIS too, but has a larger sensor, is probably a more interesting alternative then. Except for the fact that I have all those MFT lenses of course. I actually like the camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a mixed bag. Comparing it to the GX9 here, with which it shares battery.

The G100 has:

- Mic socket, 3.5mm
- Fully articulated LCD
- Bigger viewfinder with much higher resolution
- Seemingly better ergonomics
- Sells as body only in Thailand for well under $700

The GX9 has:

- IBIS
- More "advanced" physical user interface
- Only available as a kit in Thailand for around $1,000

One of each would be a nice minimalist kit, the GX9 being best for stills and the G100 presumably best for video as long as stabilised lenses are being used.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just checked the price of the G95, body only here in Thailand. It's down to the equivalent of $750. If the size is not of great importance, that's obviously a much better buy.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been doing some reading and watched some video, and this camera interests me. It's not much larger than the GM5, but:

- It has a much better viewfinder
- It has a much better sensor that offers better image quality and much better video quality
- It has a much better, fully articulated LCD
- It offers EIS for video that works together with lens OIS
- It has a proper grip
- It has a 3.5mm (!) mic socket
- It has a larger battery, the same as for the GX9

There are the usual caveats about video crop factors, and the mechanical shutter can't do faster than 1/500s, but in most situations, these are only disadvantages on paper. All the nerds are out in force to condemn this camera of course. While I understand that the 4K crop factor can be an issue when vlogging, I fail to understand why on earth people want to vlog in 4K to start with. Their facial features aren't that interesting, are they?

Here are a few links to vloggers initial reviews of the camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMHUNuDaCk
https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic-lumix-g100-review/
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g100-g110

I might be getting one of these, possibly in combination with the GX9 (or GX10? if it ever materialises). To me, it looks like a modern day OM-1; simple, compact, does what it needs to do.

Since it's a slow Saturday morning, I took the time to see what it looks like with some of my MFT lenses, plus the 75 mm which is on my shopping list (again):

12 mm f/2, 25 mm f/1.7 and 45 mm f/1.8:

7-14 mm f/4, 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 and 35-100 mm f/4-5.6:

45 mm f/2.8 Macro, 8 mm f/1.8 Fisheye and 75 mm f/1.8:

Looks pretty harmonic and well balanced, doesn't it?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Even the "super duo" Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 mm f/2.8 looks relatively harmonic on this little camera. I actually used the 12-35 mm many times on the GM5. It will be a bit tight between the grip and the lens here, but this is not the only small camera with that "feature". What is missing from this camera, which even the GM5 had, is the AF mode switch.

Two G100 bodies plus all the nine lenses shown in my previoius post weigh in at... 2.465 kg. Add the not-so-harmonic-on-this-body 100-300mm and we're at 3 kg almost exactly.

I like this. It's simple, it's small, but ergonomically fine, and it offers almost all the features that I would normally need for my day-to-day photography. It would enable me to take every single lens that I'll ever need with the possible exception of a tilt/shift, and it would allow me to take it anywhere. Maybe a G100/GX9 combo would make even more sense, but there are oceans of time to figure that out.

The only current competitor I can see is the E-M5 III, but apart from being a bit larger, I still don't like the ergonomics and it's twice the price, at least here in Thailand.

Knorp

Not exactly 'Tilt-Shift', but I'm quite happy with Oly's feature: 'Keystone correction and perspective control'.

iiiNelson

I've been doing some reading and watched some video, and this camera interests me. It's not much larger than the GM5, but:

- It has a much better viewfinder
- It has a much better sensor that offers better image quality and much better video quality
- It has a much better, fully articulated LCD
- It offers EIS for video that works together with lens OIS
- It has a proper grip
- It has a 3.5mm (!) mic socket
- It has a larger battery, the same as for the GX9

There are the usual caveats about video crop factors, and the mechanical shutter can't do faster than 1/500s, but in most situations, these are only disadvantages on paper. All the nerds are out in force to condemn this camera of course. While I understand that the 4K crop factor can be an issue when vlogging, I fail to understand why on earth people want to vlog in 4K to start with. Their facial features aren't that interesting, are they?

Here are a few links to vloggers initial reviews of the camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMHUNuDaCk
https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic-lumix-g100-review/
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g100-g110

I might be getting one of these, possibly in combination with the GX9 (or GX10? if it ever materialises). To me, it looks like a modern day OM-1; simple, compact, does what it needs to do.

Since it's a slow Saturday morning, I took the time to see what it looks like with some of my MFT lenses, plus the 75 mm which is on my shopping list (again):

12 mm f/2, 25 mm f/1.7 and 45 mm f/1.8:

7-14 mm f/4, 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 and 35-100 mm f/4-5.6:

45 mm f/2.8 Macro, 8 mm f/1.8 Fisheye and 75 mm f/1.8:

Looks pretty harmonic and well balanced, doesn't it?
I think the concern comes from people looking to future proof their decisions a bit more. 4k is actually pretty affordable now from a mass market perspective, people like to “master” their videos in 4k even if the content is delivered in 1080p, and seemingly recording in 4k even when delivering in 1080p yields a better image on many cameras... the same way a 6k:4k processing feature in camera yields better results generally. I would agree with you that the lack of a weaker 4k is a deal breaker for the average user of this camera and for those that are already in the M43 ecosystem, the GH5, G9, or the G95 are all likely better values for them given all of the upgrade and discounts that can be had on them.

Personally I’m waiting to see what happens with the rumored high res GH6 (I think it may turn out to be the most affordable Netflix approved camera) at this point because there’s a good chance I’ll add one to go along with my S1R eventually but the G100 (or Sony ZV1 if there’s a premium placed on 4k) seems “perfect” for my wife to vlog with and make online content with when she wants to.

raist3d

The problem I am having with this camera is why not get an Olympus EM5 MKIII instead? The IBIS is notably better than the GX9, the focusing is better, IBIS in video much better. No crop 4k 30fps (taking out the digital IS which doesn't need).

The microphone on the panny is better. But sizewise? Not much smaller than the EM5 MKIII at all.

The shutter on the EM5 MKIII mechanical goes to 1/8000 and 1/250 with flash sync.

And then the EM5 MKIII has the multi shot high res for landscapes when you can. The EM5 MKIII also has a fully articulated LCD that I hate so much :) and an OLED EVF with nice eye point for glass wearers.

I like this idea of this Panasonic if it was tilt LCD, had IBIS or was even smaller (not really a GM5 replacement). The shutter of the G100 btw is the GM1/GM5/GF10/GX850's.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Also one more thing, the rear dial of the G100 looks the same build of the GX850- meaning that this dial will go bad in months unless Panasonic re-designed it internally.

I like the overall design of the G100 except for that FAS, but for v-logging I understand.

- Ricardo

iiiNelson

The problem I am having with this camera is why not get an Olympus EM5 MKIII instead? The IBIS is notably better than the GX9, the focusing is better, IBIS in video much better. No crop 4k 30fps (taking out the digital IS which doesn't need).

The microphone on the panny is better. But sizewise? Not much smaller than the EM5 MKIII at all.

The shutter on the EM5 MKIII mechanical goes to 1/8000 and 1/250 with flash sync.

And then the EM5 MKIII has the multi shot high res for landscapes when you can. The EM5 MKIII also has a fully articulated LCD that I hate so much :) and an OLED EVF with nice eye point for glass wearers.

I like this idea of this Panasonic if it was tilt LCD, had IBIS or was even smaller (not really a GM5 replacement). The shutter of the G100 btw is the GM1/GM5/GF10/GX850's.

- Ricardo
I think they serve two different needs and purposes but I generally agree with you that the EM5mk3 is a more capable option for most users.

I think the G100 is probably a more simple camera to use for someone that isn’t heavily into traditional photography or tech while maintaining the system camera aspect where one can grow into more advanced options from Olympus, Panasonic, or another camera maker. One doesn’t “need” to invest in an external mic. One doesn’t “need” to invest in additional lenses really... and for one that decidedly agrees that 1080p is more than enough for their purposes the G100 won’t see much difference from most other cameras for its primary purpose - vlogging. Theoretically (and likely in some particularly specialized applications) the AF is likely objectively better on the Olympus. When the face is primarily the only thing in the frame I don’t know that the AF will greatly matter for vlogging, for product shots, and general photography. I think in this price range the G95 is worth a deeper look as is the Sony ZV1 (along with various other cameras in this price range but they all have their drawbacks.

I think sometimes it’s lost on the professionals, enthusiasts, and more advanced amateurs that generally speaking the vast majority of end users are perfectly fine with JPEG images, advances in software as it applies to computational photography, and the convenience of the cellphone in their pocket. I believe that ultimately we are the minority and that most have decided that good enough image quality is more than enough for most purposes. I like the Sony and Panasonic cameras I own (plus the Leica’s and Canon’s I owned) and the Atomos Ninja V I bought this week as much as the next person... but honestly a setup that costs several $1000’s new is overkill for a vlog even though it can do that as well. For not much more than a high end Micro 4/3 a person could get a BMPCC4K and blow pretty much any sub $2k camera out the water for video but that’s another discussion.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Also one more thing, the rear dial of the G100 looks the same build of the GX850- meaning that this dial will go bad in months unless Panasonic re-designed it internally.

I like the overall design of the G100 except for that FAS, but for v-logging I understand.

- Ricardo
Short answers:
- I agree that the wheel on the back is a worry, but hopefully, the people at Panasonic are not stupid enough not to have improved it.
- The E-M5 III is a gem. Unfortunately, the price also reflects that. In this country, if I don't buy gray imports, I can almost get 2 x G100 for one E-M5 III.
- The elephant in the room is the G95. Maybe partly due to the luke warm reception it received, prices have been falling fast. In THB, our local currency (USD 1 = THB 30), the price of the G100 is 21,000, the G95 around 30,000 (gray import 24,000) and the E-M5 III around 40,000. That's almost G9 territory.
- Viewfinder! This is the tool with which I compose photos. It's very important to me. Most of the time, I only need the viewfinder and the shutter release. I could live with a camera that only has those two functions. Magnification of the E-M5 EVF is 1.37, G100 is 1.46 and the G95 is 1.48. Resolution of the Olympus and the G95 is 2,360,000, on the G100 it's 3,680,000. The viewfinder of the G100 is pointed out by many as being very good.

I don't need to buy anything overnight, but what may be a solution would be to buy a G95, a camera that is more or less perfect for my "heavier" use and a G100 when the price falls below $500, and it will. The G95 also has the advantage of sharing batteries with my GX8 bodies, which would make my life simpler (and cheaper, since I have 4 of them).

Edit:
LCD resolution of the E-M5 III is 1,040,000, on the G100 it's 1,840,000. LCD and EVF resolution matters a lot when focusing manually, and I do sometimes.

Since I went from film (OM-1/2/3) to digitalt, I have been hoping for a compact, simple camera with a great viewfinder. This might be the best attempt so far. I'll try it out when it arrives here.

Last edited:

raist3d

Ok. The price difference where you are makes sense.
I think I rather have a better shutter an AF but at least it will be a very quiet
Shutter.

If you are doing a lot of MF I can see it though the evf on the Oly is oled and not sequential.

Anyhow- makes sense. I like what looks to be the ergonomics.

As for the rear wheel - beware. I thought Panasonic would have also learned and they didn’t. I can only hope.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ok. The price difference where you are makes sense.
I think I rather have a better shutter an AF but at least it will be a very quiet
Shutter.

If you are doing a lot of MF I can see it though the evf on the Oly is oled and not sequential.

Anyhow- makes sense. I like what looks to be the ergonomics.

As for the rear wheel - beware. I thought Panasonic would have also learned and they didn’t. I can only hope.

- Ricardo
Dpreview claims that even if it's a sequential viewfinder, they didn't see any of the traditional disadvantages that are usually seen with those viewfinders. Seems to be quite a big improvement. Viewfinder quality is always important to me. I prefer optical viewfinders, which Panasonic won't ever have for obvious reasons.

Here's a vlogging review from a vlogger. He seems to be very happy with it:

http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-g100-g100-review/

In general, I find it quite shocking how many people have condemned this camera without having tried it. Most of the actual reviews are quite positive. Here's another one:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g100/panasonic-g100A.HTM#hands-on

raist3d

Dpreview claims that even if it's a sequential viewfinder, they didn't see any of the traditional disadvantages that are usually seen with those viewfinders. Seems to be quite a big improvement. Viewfinder quality is always important to me. I prefer optical viewfinders, which Panasonic won't ever have for obvious reasons.

Here's a vlogging review from a vlogger. He seems to be very happy with it:

http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-g100-g100-review/

In general, I find it quite shocking how many people have condemned this camera without having tried it. Most of the actual reviews are quite positive. Here's another one:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g100/panasonic-g100A.HTM#hands-on
I have seen a mix of reviews. The main issue seems to be that for a camera aimed at v-logging it's stumbling on a couple of things.

But that said, yeah, I read that the EVF is not the usual field sequential problematic one. Maybe like the Leica Q first or Leica SL. Anyway, I like the ergonomics with the lenses as you shown them in the pics.

Would be nice if Panasonic did a tilt LCD model with a couple of things oriented for stills :)

- Ricardo

iiiNelson

I have seen a mix of reviews. The main issue seems to be that for a camera aimed at v-logging it's stumbling on a couple of things.

But that said, yeah, I read that the EVF is not the usual field sequential problematic one. Maybe like the Leica Q first or Leica SL. Anyway, I like the ergonomics with the lenses as you shown them in the pics.

Would be nice if Panasonic did a tilt LCD model with a couple of things oriented for stills :)

- Ricardo
Im hoping that the G9 successor takes a more S1/S1R style design. I guess the fully articulating screens are fine for videocentric models but for photography I want the screen to remain inline with the lens.